• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who is still goin

Twins 57 Fan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much do you think the deer will be moving today with the temp in the 40's? It's the last day, so i wanna get out, but I'm not sure how effective sitting all afternoon will be. I may have to get out and slowly walk the property and hopefully stumble on a deer or two...

You don't know unless you try...

Good luck to you guys who are still at it down to the wire. It would be nice to see someone post that it paid off for you.

If someone would have told me going into the season that I would only be out on Opening weekend and that would be it for me, I would have wondered if I was about to die. It's been a crazy fall is all I can say.

Have a good NYE everyone.

My season ended the same way it went the entire season. I didn't see a thing. I did not see a single deer this season with a bow in hand. I sat in some great weather, in poor weather, saw some awesome sunrises and sunsets. Had skunks, turkeys, beavers etc around.

I was fortunate to take a doe during rifle season and that was the most memorable hunt for me so far.

I did not get to hunt as often as I usually do and I didn't get drawn for any of the special hunts that I normally do. That combined with the interesting weather and I had a poor season.

That being said, I wouldn't give up bowhunting for anything. I almost feel bad for the guys who hunt two weekends, or worse yet, one weekend a year and then don't think about deer hunting for another year.

3rd night in a row and 3 zero's. A good season in general. A bear on opening day and a nice buck shortly after bow season opened. Overall, deer sighting down significantly from previous seasons. I'm very concerned with the herd in my north eastern mn hunting spot but also am finding lower numbers of deer in Isanti county as well. I hope for a continued mild winter with a dry spring.

Got out tonight to end out the year. I have had a busy last few days and didn't think there was any possibility of even getting out so it was a huge bonus for me. I had a couple does come by at 35 yards but they stayed in the brush so I couldn't get a shot. I thought that was going to be the end but had a doe and 2 fawns heading my way about 10 minutes before the end of shooting time. The doe was in front and it looked like it was going to come together but she picked me off while I was shifting into a better position for the shot. One more step was all I needed but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Even without a shot it was a great way to end the season.

but also am finding lower numbers of deer in Isanti county as well.

Your not the only one and area 227 had one of if not the highest number of gun kills this year eekcry I think it's about time to switch back to a managed area probably should have been done last year.

Shot a doe in Wisc. tonite, sat 4 nites in a row this week tonite was the only amount of any deer seen (4).Still got a couple of 2.00 tags left will sit Mon. and next weekend, need 1 more to get thru the year.

I spent a lot of time in the stand the last week of the season. On Saturday morning, I had a doe and a fawn go east of me just out of range, and ten minutes later, I had three does and two fawns standing on the gravel road, just out of range, go to the west instead of crossing the road and come down the trail where I was sitting. No snorts. No flagging tails from any of the seven deer.

So I checked the road to the east and saw tracks in the fresh snow that indicated that all 7 of the deer had crossed the previous evening. Saturday night, I sat in a different stand in 47 degree weather with a perfect southeast wind and didn't see any of the 7 deer that I know bedded in the wooded ridge south of me. Season over.

I shot my first deer with a bow this season--a nice fat doe--way back in October. I had close encounters with two shooter bucks including a wide rack 8 point at 9 yards...The pin and the peep didn't quite come together as I shook uncontrollably at 6:43 AM. I was both exhilarated and embarrassed. I was embarrassed that I couldn't make the shot, didn't get the buck to stop, and actually had buck fever at my age. blush

But I was also proud that I didn't just "let it rip" and hope that it would be a fatal wound. Being older has made me wiser and less concerned about bragging rights than doing what's right. I don't have that buck's rack--yet, but I've got that memory, and I'm motivated to do a better job of scouting, setting my stands, and plotting a strategy to hunt for him next fall. I'm almost positive that he survived the season, and there's another buck in the area that has a HUGE body with a tighter, taller rack. In just one morning in early November, I saw four different bucks on the small property that I hunt including a scraggly young 8 twelve yards away that stood in front of a trail camera for several pictures. Two years from now, if he lives, he will be a beauty.

I came late to the game of bowhunting, but I'm going to enjoy each and every day that I get to sit in my stand. My wife thinks I'm crazy, spend way too much time hunting (and fishing and golfing), and still let me go back for one final hunt on New Year's Eve because it was important to me.

It's hard to explain to people that don't hunt why we do, but it's easier now for me to understand why we gravitate toward this page before the season, during the season, and today to close the season. I've learned so much just by "listening." I've learned even more by actually getting out into the woods. Spring turkey hunting is still my favorite thing, but the deer bowhunting season is gaining ground.

Thanks for a great season of close encounters, near misses, first time deer, trophy bucks, and lots of honest discussion about equipment, tactics, and rules and regulations. I'm counting the days to spring turkey hunting, but I'm also making plans for next fall.

Happy New Year!

GREAT post, Engfish! Don't worry about getting buck fever at your age- I can almost guarantee I know guys older than you who have had it too! Getting twitchy in the face of a big buck knows no age restrictions!!! It sounds like you had a heck of a season- congrats!

I sat for the last time in MN on Fri night. It was so nice out I brought my son with for one last hoorah. I bundled him up good, brough lots of handwarmers, and tucked him inside of a sleeping bag up in my double ladder stand. He shot at several birds and a squirrel with his bb gun and we had fun. No deer seen that night, but it was a great way to end the year with him. Unfortunately, it's tag soup for my MN tag. I've still got almost a week for my ND tag, and I'm hoping to hunt two more times between now and next Sun. Nothing tastes worse than tag soup...