• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you guys freeze your pike before pickling?

Jaspernuts

Cold pack pickling may eventually kill the parasites. Or maybe not. It is your insides.

Freezing is known to kill them.

There are pickling recipes that involve poaching the fish in hot liquid.

Here is a quote from U of M extension

Caution: the broad fish tapeworm

The broad fish tapeworm infection can be contracted by humans from eating raw or undercooked species of fish found in the Great Lakes area.

Those who wish to prepare raw pickled fish should first freeze the fish at 0° F for 48 hours.

The larvae of the broad fish tapeworm pass through smaller fish until they lodge as hatched small worms in the flesh of large carnivorous species of fish, like northern pike, walleye pike, sand pike, burbot, and yellow perch. This worm, if eaten by humans in its infective stage, can attach to the small intestine and grow to lengths of 10 to 30 feet.

The infective worms are destroyed readily either by cooking or freezing. Two recent outbreaks of this tapeworm in Minnesota were related to eating uncooked pickled pike. Those who wish to prepare raw pickled fish should first freeze the fish at 0° F for 48 hours.

I use a recipe that has me soak the fish in salty,salty water for 48 hours. I usually use pike and after they come out of the water i rinse them and then put in plain white vinegar for 36 hours. When the fillets come out of the salt water they are almost mushy. However after they come out of the vinegar they are nice and firm. Maybe your recipe already calls for the vinegar soak but I cant tell at that point or when I eat them if they were frozen or not. Maybe I just catch small fish too? Who knows. I'm hungry ritz + pickled pike+ white onion = my dinner.

I've done it both ways and I havent got sick yet but I also couldnt tell the difference between frozen fillets and fresh ones the only time I noticed a difference is when I but the brine in when it was still to hot.

I will be freezeing mine to be on the safe side cause I dont need no pharasite in my system grin

Elwood, what do you think the bi-product of putting the brine in the jars when still hot is? I used frozen filets (small pike) in my last batch and put the brine in the jars with the fish and onioin right off the stove. I thought it turned out really good however there is always improvements that can be made and I'd love to refine my pickling receipe.

Thanks.

When the brine comes off the stove hot I think it cooks the fish and that makes it kinda mushy tasteing. Now you said you poured it over frozen fillets but I would still think it may cook it a bit but hey if it works and your happy with it I would keep doing what your doing.

I make up the brine ahead of time then pour it in after its been cooled I also have other recipies that call for the brine to be poured off the stove but I dont care for the texture of the pike as much so I let mine cool first