• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spear house interior color

ac777

HI, I am finishing a new ice/spear house I bought. I am for sure doing black on the ceiling but do the walls matter? I would like to do pine, it shouldn't really matter should it? I have speared in a lot brighter houses than what I think this will be. Anyone have wood siding in their spear shacks?

im making a new house too. im going to paint the ceiling black and put some kind of wall covering on it eventually. dad put pine in his big house. really thin stuff. i think it was 7/16 car siding. really light and looks awesome. i dont think it matters to much.

Your whole interior can be hot pink and chartreuse and it will not affect the fishing at all as long as there is no light coming in. No light inside means no reflection downstairs...

Heck, on some days light doesn't even matter...I've speared several fish with someone holding the door wide open. The biggest factor is vibration. Period. You can have a jet black house without a pinprick of light and move so slow you appear still, but scrape your foot or spear tine once and see how fast a fish bolts!

Heck, on some days light doesn't even matter...I've speared several fish with someone holding the door wide open. The biggest factor is vibration. Period. You can have a jet black house without a pinprick of light and move so slow you appear still, but scrape your foot or spear tine once and see how fast a fish bolts!

^^This

People make waaaay to big an issue about how dark the house is. IMO it only needs to be dark enough for me to see.

Your whole interior can be hot pink and chartreuse and it will not affect the fishing at all as long as there is no light coming in. No light inside means no reflection downstairs...

good point, i have speared in flipovers with lots of light coming in. I agree with the sound part of it. do most of you use carpet in your house?

People make waaaay to big an issue about how dark the house is. IMO it only needs to be dark enough for me to see.

+1

One thing to consider is that the fish experience all kinds of varying light levels beneath the ice. Thick ice spots versus thin ice spots...heavy drifts of snow block light from some areas...springs and thin ice allow more light through...there is no constant or steady light stream that an improperly darkened spear house is going to affect on some vast scale. We darken the house so that we can see down...the more light that comes in, the harder it is for us to see. As for the fish, be quiet, be still...aim straight.

And in terms of the carpet question, I don't have it in my permanent, but I think it really does help dampen noise/vibration and keeps a house warmer. I do recommend using carpet for open bottom hub style houses, too. It keeps your feet warm and you won't slide around when the heater starts melting the ice (and it's a lot easier to transport and quieter than custom built wood floors for hub houses).