• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1998 Indy Trail 488

CrappieAttitude

I have an opportunity to get a pair of these sleds for what I think would be a really good deal. One of them has about 700 miles on it and the other one has about a 1000. They have been run every year, however as you can see not much. The owner doesn't know what they would be worth, any ideas as to what they are worth? Also, if anyone has owned one of these, anything to be looking for before pulling the trigger.

Thanks for the help!

CA

Thanks guys,

I would mostly be using it for ice fishing and a little family fun with my 3 and 5 year old.

They don't come with a trailer, but they have been kept indoors and have covers. One has a cracked hood, but it has been repaired from underneath with that plastic weld stuff. Otherwise they are perfect. No tears in seats, and covers are in great shape.

Thanks for the response. As far as the history of the motor, anything that i need to be aware of, or has that engine had a good reputation?

CA

I have a 1997 trail 2-up w/ electric start and reverse w/ about 3000 miles. Great for fishing and pulling the kids around! I did put a beefier sring on the rear suspension which made a huge difference. Last winter I made a few short trips with me (275) and my buddy (275)on the back and never bottomed out. only went about 10 mph but it got us there! I have a home made auger mount that goes on the side, strap a 20 lb tank on the back, have a ram mount by the gauges for the gps, and a hitch to pull my house. Kids love it too.

Last winter I made a few short trips with me (275) and my buddy (275)on the back and never bottomed out.

note:(please read manufactures suggested weight load range for this vehicle before riding it again) shockedlaugh

my dad has a 1995 Trail with the same motor. It went 5500+ miles before it blew up, and most of those were very tough miles put on by me. He threw another motor in it and that one has a couple thousand on it already, zero problems with the motor. One of the issues to look for on those sleds was the lights, if they get noticeably brighter with the engine revs you have a bad coil or regulator (can't remember which) that will cause the head and tail lights to burn out regularly. Other than that they were pretty solid machines.

Last winter I made a few short trips with me (275) and my buddy (275)on the back and never bottomed out. Only went about 10 mph but it got us there!

Wow, that must be one stiff ride when you are alone if it wont bottom out with 2 guys on it.

A properly setup suspension should bottom out, but only occasionally on the very largest of bumps. Otherwise its too stiff and you are not getting the full benefit of the suspension travel.

Better keep it under 10mph. wink

Wow, that must be one stiff ride when you are alone if it wont bottom out with 2 guys on it.

A properly setup suspension should bottom out, but only occasionally on the very largest of bumps. Otherwise its too stiff and you are not getting the full benefit of the suspension travel.

Better keep it under 10mph. wink

I was referring to the "touring" version of these sleds with that price.

dtro, you are correct on your est. On the List any two up long track sled is going like hot cakes right now as guys are looking for them for ice fishing. wink

I think your price assumption on those sleds is correct CA. Good power plants those sleds have, I've seen it first hand, should make some good rides.

Sled market is hot right now, posted my sled for sale a few days ago and it was gone in a couple days.

Just remember green $$$ talks, you might get a heck of a deal on those sleds.

Mike

off topic - Leech, gregg said you were close to Primetime... is that where you do most of your sledding and fishing, around there? I am in Crosslake, east of town on tiny lake, but hit trails right off of hwy 36. Hoping for snow, and maybe meet up with you guys some time. But I am not much of a go-fast guy wink just once in a while when wife isn't with me, haha!

off topic - Leech, gregg said you were close to Primetime... is that where you do most of your sledding and fishing, around there? I am in Crosslake, east of town on tiny lake, but hit trails right off of hwy 36. Hoping for snow, and maybe meet up with you guys some time. But I am not much of a go-fast guy wink just once in a while when wife isn't with me, haha!

No we have a camper on Edwards in the summer but live in the cities. I just run back up and do some fishing mainly on Pelican and hit Big Trout a time or two. But I am always up for a sled ride during the winter as well. Not that big on just running on lakes as I like to ride the woods the most. North of Cross Lake up the Old Grade there is some nice woods to ride in. We will have to see if we can hook up some guys in the area for a ride this winter! However I do make it to Primetimes for the Ribs a few time a year! wink

CA, if you live in Merrifield why do you need a trailer? Can't you just head out to the trails or lakes right from home? confused

I totally can Leech hit the lakes and trails from home, but if a Red Lake adventure or LOTW trip happens soon, it would be nice to have one ready to go.

I totally can Leech hit the lakes and trails from home, but if a Red Lake adventure or LOTW trip happens soon, it would be nice to have one ready to go.

Aah yep. That is a long ride from there. Maybe you will have to do a shout-out for an open trailer spot instead of a open-seat sometime. Hope find a good one. wink