• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha Oil Change Mess

UMC

I have a 2002 yamaha outboard (60 hp 4 stroke) that it seems about impossible not to make a mess when I change the oil. The oil pan nut or whatever it's called is positioned so that some of the oil drips down on the area above the prop and when I take the filter out the cowling fills up with oil before you can get it off. Any tips? I think I'll probably just bring it to the dealer to winterize in the future; I'm just too illiterate and I think it's worth the $150 to not have the headache.

I tape a plastic garbage bag under the hole where the oil plug is. I then tape the bag to form a chute. I pull the plug and the oil drains into the top of the bag and runs down the chute I taped up and down into my oil pan. Works slick and super easy. I just did my oil a few days ago and it took about 1/2 hr taking my time this way.

I just tip them up, pull the plug and lower into a funnel I got rigged up with a hose into a jug. for the filter I cut down an old oil bottle, butter tub etc to fit under the filter then use a center punch to make asmall hole at the 12 o'clock position, back filter off half turn, punch another small hole for vent and drain as much that way as possible. I also use the industrial oil absorbant pads (cut a peice out instead of wasting the whole pad) underneath for what small amount spills. You could use paper towls to. Nice and clean.

Gregg forget letting them set all winter, most guys that buy etecs usually park them all summer due to issues. I am glad for you that you did get a good one. Though Im sure that even if you had a rod come flying though the side of the block none of us would ever know it happened, huh? whistlegrin

Gregg forget letting them set all winter, most guys that buy etecs usually park them all summer due to issues. I am glad for you that you did get a good one. Though Im sure that even if you had a rod come flying though the side of the block none of us would ever know it happened, huh? whistlegrin

Agreed. A buddy just ditched his Etec after blowing two power heads. I'd rather spend 1/2 hour changing the oil once per year that my boat sitting in the shop for 1/2 the year. The other thing is the cost. My one oil change per year costs less than one gallon of Evinrude XD-100 oil and the Etec owners I know go through many of those in a year.

I follow most of the tips posted above and changing the oil on my Yamaha is a quick, easy, mess free process. Some very good advice on this thread.

In the Gear and Gadgets section of this weeks outdoor news there is a kit that you can buy for the Yamaha's. Has and adapter that you screw into the drain plug opening with a hose on it you run down to the drain pan. Don't know if I can post the web sight on here or I would. It's a company called SeeWell Innovations.

I do the tubing trick as well. Did it today in fact. Still end up with some mess so a sheet of plastic on the floor helps contain what oil does escape.

Never had any mess changing the filter though, but I raise the motor a little and then tip it on its side opposite of the filter which seems to be the ticket to a clean removal. Filter came off with very little oil in it and none to clean up around the housing.

you can also have a extenion made for it, so when you pull the drain plug out you would screw in the extenion pipe to drain oil. I made some for guys at work out of 6 inch pipe nipple's. I don't recall the thread size now, but it is the same as alot of the spark plug threads.

A little late now but IMO I would find an oil vacuum that runs off a battery or a booster. Works excellent with zero mess, and after you run the engine and have it drained, tilt the motor all the way up and angle it so remaining oil in the filter will also drain out....do this a couple times and give it a minute or two to drain. This will greatly reduce any mess that is coming when you remove the fiter. Afterwards, level the engine and finish the job. Scott's paper towel rags work great for underneath the filter too.

Joe Harty

Harty's Boatworks

I've gotten pretty good at catching the oil coming down the chute. I still make a mess everytime I change that filter though. Tried tilting back and forth a few times after the drain was complete. Then tilting up and turning the wheel so that filter was oriented up a little. Still had oil oozing everywhere.

Maybe my 4th try at it next fall will be better.

Maybe I should let it drain with the filter oriented up and then reverse it so that it sits down when I remove it. Good thing I don't have a fit when the oil hits the garage floor, it's been done many times.

Northlander, Been over at Amsoil yet to check out the <--- and the push for a repeat? Wish I lived there, definitely miss it.