• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATTN: Deer hunters

mnhunter79

Yet you would back a buck lottery, which, unless successful, means you have NO opportunity to shoot a buck. Your post is a little contradicting. Not sure if that's how you meant it or not.

Not at all. Let see if I can flesh it out without having to write a novel. A lottery can achieve the same goals as APR's without forcing other hunters to have to forego a shot at what to them may be a trophy based on an arbitrary number based on what someone else thinks should "qualify". You tell me what the difference is to the person that just had that monster 6 in front of them, but couldnt take it because it didnt meet an arbitrary number not based on any science. My buck has in all likelyhood achieved its full potential point wise, but would be off limits to everyone for no good reason. In my view a lottery would spread the pain so to speak, everyone would have some skin in the game. There would be more bucks around for those looking for mature deer and those who are content with a buck thats less than a wall hanger would both still have the same opportunity to harvest what there after...If they get drawn.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you are right that most would want that buck. however that is not the way we in our party look at it. it is more "whatever comes by first that presents the best shot". if i seen a doe and a buck at the same time i would go with whichever gives me the safest shot.

i look at it this way. my day will come with the big rack. who knows when, i've been waiting since the 60's. my brother got a big nontypical years ago. i think as you get older your anticapation of the hunt changes. i just hope i can continue for years to come. good luck.

If the buck and doe both gave equally good shots and you could shoot either one which one would you shoot? Most people would take the buck because that's pretty much what deer hunters want.

You might not ever get a big racked buck if you always shoot the first thing that comes by that presents a good shot. I rarely see a big buck first without having passed on many deer, if I would of shot any of them deer I would of never got the big buck.

I know your goal isn't a big buck, just sayin.

Definitely the important part of hunting is just being out there and having fun! I hope I can continue for many years also.

You never know, that giant 6 pointer might become the new world record 8 pointer in the next couple years.

Maybe, but the odds are far greater that that deer has achieved its full genetic potential. Why should it be taken off the table as a deer that can be harvested if there are ways to achieve the same goals and still allow people to harvest the deer that They wish to take vs what someone else deems a shooter. It would also seem to be easier to manage the population of bucks based on the actual number of bucks vs. what their antler size is. Many APR guys have no problem imposing rules that would infringe on what others can shoot but float one also limits what they can take and look out...

I don't think the APR's are based on some persons idea of a "trophy", but rather anything under is likely a 1.5-2.5 year old deer. The easiest deer in the woods to shoot during the rut. (Outside of fawns). Thus forcing harvest pressure to the does, thereby reducing the population in high density areas, which is THE goal of APR's. Obviously all the management tags weren't resulting in a high enough doe harvest to control population? Thats how I see the regs anyways.

Quote:
Maybe, but the odds are far greater that that deer has achieved its full genetic potential.

You and I are going to have to respectfully disagree on that. This years 8 pointers can become next years 10's, 10's can become 12's. I would love to see those trail cam pics of the big 6. I'm not calling you a liar. I have seen some very nice 6 pointers and it seems that most people have run across them, but I honestly believe that given enough time, those bucks will develop into something other than a 6 pointer.

The trophy 6 pointers are few and far between. Thats for sure.

I had one on cam 2 years. He was an absolute beast of a deer. I will dig up the pics and post.

It would suck to have to pass on one. But a chance I am willing to take by supporting APR!

In all my yrs of hunting n of all the deers I've seen, that is all public land, the buck to doe ratio 40% bucks n 60% does. Of those 40% bucks, 75% r button bucks, 15% yearlings, 5% 2.5yr olds n 5% trophies.

APR is not the answer when the first step of a trophy bucks life r being tagged by does tags.

I'm not in favor of new rules when the real truth behind it is to boost egos n for sport. I'm all for it if its for the better of the health of the deer herd. In any case, we already have a healthy deer herd, n thats saying it from someone who hunts public land that gets pounded every season.

BTW, I only bowhunt.