• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lone, distant, random gun shot

BRULEDRIFTER

Quote:
I think you're hearing a .270 taking out a yote.

Thats funny. Out in a rural area thats mainly farmland, who the heck is out with a .270 shooting yotes at last light in September? The farmers? Thats laughable. The locals? What do they care about a yote for, they cant sell the hide for squat any more. Those of us out there hunting for deer, arent yanking out a rifle at that time to whack a yote.

I agree that the odds of a bust are low. They're even lower if a CO is not getting any help from the people that live in their district.

They might be somewhat higher if a CO gets a phone call along the lines of "I hear lots of single shots at dusk in this area, you might want to come check it out." Or, "I saw some guys using a spotlight and then heard a shot from about where their truck was. The license plate is 555-XXX."

I agree that it would be nice if everyone followed the rules. I disagree that everyone else is out to break them (which seems to be kind of the undercurrent in this thread). But I also think that, when we see people that are breaking a pretty serious law, it's better to try and do something (even anonymously) than just complain about it.

It's not a coincidence that the punks around my cabin start firing their pistols and deer rifles from 4-6 p.m. knowing the Archery hunters are in stand.

Your local poachers also don't drive their trucks around and park them 50 yards from where they whack next weeks' meat. They know exactly how to get in and out un-detected...

I am suprised by how many people think there are so many poachers out and how many people believe these poachers are so crafty. If poachers were really that smart, we wouldn't "hear them" or "see them" near as often as some are reporting. Yet, living in the country a person understands that there are lots of gun shots with lots of different explanations - a majority of which are not related to harrassing bowhunters or to poaching - its just a fact of country living. Does poaching happen, certainly, but I think its time to take off just a little of the tin foil from some of the hats and come to realize that not every shot you hear is bringing down that trophy buck you are hoping to run into with your archery tackle.

but I think its time to take off just a little of the tin foil from some of the hats

Ha! That's funny right there. Couldn't agree more. All kinds of reasons rural folks fire off a round now and again, probably a VERY small percentage are anything remotely illegal.

Was in the Bow stand last night with a soft South Wind. Knowing the Rural Country side very well. I could hear Gun shots 1 at a time from 3 Gun Ranges. 1 at ten miles away straight west as the crow flys. I was sitting there listening to them thnking about this whole POACHING THING. The wind can play tricks on noises. Some of the rounds were very clear to hear and some were really tough to pick up.

The closer Gun range 4 miles NE I could barely hear any shots from that one.

There is another Gun range 7 miles south and I could hear that one plain as day all night.

I do not know where people get the idea in there heads that there is so much Poaching going on.

Kinda chimed in on this the other day, but wow last night I heard many lone rifle shots in that last hour of daylight last night, pretty calm so could hear them loud and clear. Not too many guys enjoy sighting in during the waning hours of daylight. Who knows but I bet a couple maybe were intended to take deer. Then again, it happens every year, there's a % of dishonest people in every rank why hunters would be excluded I don't know. oh well, hopefully they missed.

Not "that" many poachers? That's naieve. Don't you scan the local DNR reports weekly? every single county in this state reports on some DB trying to get away with something whether it's fishing or hunting, it's prevalent.

Ever seen the border checks between here and the dakotas? Man. If they checked every car all summer as the out-of-staters with cabins in MN drive home during prime fishing in the summer, there would be hundreds of violations weekly. LMAO.

Not "that" many poachers? That's naieve.

How can anyone really know?

If my buddy sees a coon or yote out harassing his chickens at dusk, he's not going to hesitate to blast 'em. And if the deer rifle is the closet one, that's what he'll use. Maybe you've heard him?

How can anyone really know?

If my buddy sees a coon or yote out harassing his chickens at dusk, he's not going to hesitate to blast 'em. And if the deer rifle is the closet one, that's what he'll use. Maybe you've heard him?

I agree, seems like most of the varmints I've ever seen were in rural areas about dusk... My Dad's shot several coon around his buildings & they were all after dark.

The other thing is I don't know how many people I've asked if they sighted in there shotgun or rifle yet & they say no, I'll probably take a shot some night after work to check it out.

I hunt in South East MN and when down there last week I also heard lone shots just at dusk and after. I like to think most folks are honest lets say 98%. Then there are those 2% that can't be trusted. Them 2% will poach and cheat at whatever they think will advance there own self and then we the 98% sit here and have our coments about them. Lol Most of them are spot on about them 2%. I choose to pick there junk up on lakes and turn them in when ever I can.

As I said I heard shots last Thursday night. Then the owner of the property I hunt at drove by a carcas Friday on the side of a gravel road that only had head gear,hind quarters,and chops missing. Was it that shot from Thursday evening? I don't know but it is sad to see the rest of the deer go to waist and that one of those 2% folks give the rest of us a bad name. Just wanted to share my opinion. Me, I like the challenge of the Bowhunt and that will always be my choice to harvest a deer.