• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting from ground?

BoxMN

I got up to cabin late, and didn't have enough time to get stand and get out there properly. I just walked in (about an hour before end of shooting) and stood next to a tree, using wind to my advantage. Did not see anything but squirrels smile

But on the way out, just at end of my driveway (prolly about end of legal time, maybe a bit after) a doe and fawn were walking down the road right at me. I stood still, she knew something was there (me) but kept stopping and caustiously walking at me. I was dead in middle of road. She got to within about 30 yards, and then a car came and they ran into woods. I know I would not have gotten a shot even if legal, but got me wondering...

...had I been in the woods, where she didn't see me out in open, and I could draw when they weren't looking, can you have an actual chance when just standing with no blind or stand? Just wondering if I was wasting my time? Or better yet, if I only have an hour to hunt, is it worth the hassle and noise to climb using climber, or just slip into woods quietly and stand by a trail?

Next night I got out late as well (after honeey do list...) and stood in woods and didn't see anything. Thanks for thoughts. Bow hunting is new to me, so I read all info here and elsewhere to learn a bit more. This weekend is rifle and ducking for me though...

It's definitely doable! However, it's much, much tougher than from a stand or a groundblind. The buck that was my biggest for many years was shot from the ground and without any kind of blind- I shot it at 3 yards. Everything needs to go just right to shoot one from the ground, particularly at close range. In particular, you need to pick a great spot that'll allow you to draw when they won't detect you. Lots of people get inside of 20 yards from whitetails and go undetected, especially when they don't try to draw their bow. When they try draw it gets very easy to get busted. I've probably shot ten or maybe a dozen from the ground, but I've screwed up five times that many.

I find rattling and calling to be a ton of fun from the ground and it's much easier with a partner- something to think about.

Box, I agree with Scoot. It can be done but its tough. I like ground blinds for quick hunts. I have a lot of them set up on different properties. You just hike out, climb in and you're ready to go versus strapping on the safety harness and climbing up and towing everything up and they're a lot easier to move than treestands. I like both but have been doing most of my hunting out of groundblinds these past few years.

Most of my first deer came off the ground with out a blind a couple stalking which is a real rush. Up till a few years ago most of my deer came off the ground without a blind,I shot a decent 8 way back from 5 yards when he was munching acorns the big key is find a tree bigger then you so you have something to hind behind and play the wind. Most of these deer where on new properties that were hunting/scouting missions and I got lucky enough too be in the right spot.

yep, drawing back on the ground is by far your biggest challenge.

any movement on the ground will get you busted. if you're not seeing deer while hunting on the ground, they might be seeing you before you notice them.

right at dark or after dark, deer lose their wariness. anybody who's spent time coon hunting will tell you that you can walk right up on a feeding deer in the dark.

Hunting Ripley last weekend and not using a tree stand was a big mistake for me as I got busted 4 times as they all saw me before I saw them. Being up a tree takes you out of there line of vision and you can see them at a farther distance than on the ground. The first deer was 5 yards from me and I noticed her as I was putting a toe warmer on my foot. Had a stare off for about 5 minutes before she wondwered off. She never did smell me though!

Climber from now on at Ripley!

My last two sits have been in the weeds, got busted by 3 deer Sunday night at 90 yards, dont know if they were working towards me or not, I didnt see them before they saw me was all. I thought the coast was clear, I stood up, took two steps and nothing but snorts and tails. I was cammoed perfect, with my duck hunting bibs on (grass pattern) and then a grey\green cammo pullover on top with a facemask. But I do think a ghille suit is the way to go for ground hunting. I like it better than stand hunting because you cant always hang a stand where you'd really like to sit. You can only try to blend in as good as possible. And sit still as possible.

I've shot a few from the ground without a blind. The key is to find a place close enough, but out of their line of sight & of course the wind has to be right. Gotten busted where more times than I've pulled it off though. Surprising how many times they'll come out & turn their head to look back & see you right before giving you a wide open shot. Had a fawn do it to me in WI this year sitting under some apple trees. It came out parallel to me like I figured, but I was figuring on it being at about 10-15 feet.