• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help moving deer!!!

mnhunter2

The state dosen't own animals or fish, the taxpayers do they are only hired to manage them for the public who own them.(I'm not really sure the word own is really the right terminology). In this case I'd put up a tower stand on the border, hunt it and guard your property.

The only options you have is either talk to the person or put a posted sign up and a stand their. Yes the deer are on your property and they should not be shooting onto your property.

However you do not own those deer the state of Minnesota does and anything you do to disrupt his hunt or keep him from harvesting a deer will be considered hunter harassment and you could get some fines from the dnr even if you do it on your property.

If you do something to only prevent him from harvesting deer on your property that is not hunter harassment. Hanging a screen, putting up a fence or sign, or planting trees to block his view of your land isn't preventing him from legally taking deer. It just prevents him from illegally shooting deer on your property.

I do agree though that playing music or making noise where its likely going to drive deer away from his property as well then that could be harassment.

Take your dog for his walk right in that area, let him lift his leg a million times, you won't have a deer near the dude ever again. You can have my dog to chain to the fence, doghouse goes with it ? Just kidding before I get shelled by everyone, it would work though, I can't even believe how dogs can change deer patterns/behavior mainly talking about dogs that get to roam freely a lot, we have 1/2 the deer we used to in our area and it's dog related, we all have noticed a big difference.

I think you just hit on a great new business idea. Bottled dog pee!

smile

Take your dog for his walk right in that area, let him lift his leg a million times, you won't have a deer near the dude ever again. You can have my dog to chain to the fence, doghouse goes with it ? Just kidding before I get shelled by everyone, it would work though, I can't even believe how dogs can change deer patterns/behavior mainly talking about dogs that get to roam freely a lot, we have 1/2 the deer we used to in our area and it's dog related, we all have noticed a big difference.

Some hybrid poplar will have that spot screened off in 5yrs or a little sooner.

Until then, I like the idea if setting a cheap ground blind out there or hunting nearby to "guard" the spot, but if that's not an ideal spot than its not worth it to just sit there for the sole purpose of discouraging the neighbor.

HUNTER/TRAPPER HARASSMENT Page 23

A person may not prevent or disrupt another person from taking or preparing to take a wild animal.A person my not disrupt wild animals with the intent to prevent or disrupt another person from hunting.Placing bait for the purpose of preventing or disrupting another person from lawfully hunting deer would be considered unlawful under hunter harassment laws.

97A.025 OWNERSHIP OF WILD ANIMALS.

The ownership of wild animals of the state is in the state, in its sovereign capacity for the benefit of all the people of the state. A person may not acquire a property right in wild animals, or destroy them, unless authorized under the game and fish laws, sections 84.091 to 84.15, or sections 17.47 to 17.498.

HUNTER/TRAPPER HARASSMENT Page 23

A person may not prevent or disrupt another person from taking or preparing to take a wild animal.A person my not disrupt wild animals with the intent to prevent or disrupt another person from hunting.Placing bait for the purpose of preventing or disrupting another person from lawfully hunting deer would be considered unlawful under hunter harassment laws.

If this were my neighbor and he was shooting onto my property illegally I'd have no problem planting trees or visually disrupting his ability from shooting deer on my property. I'd be fine if he wanted to call a CO and complain about hunter harassment, that would be a fun conversation with the CO as the neighbor tries to complain that he can no longer illegally hunt deer on my property.

How big is the opening? If it really bugs you and its not that big of an opening, you could build a cheap fence. Sarah Palin built a three story privacy fence in between her and her liberal neighbor that moved in next door to write an investigative book about her. Set a couple of 12 to 14 foot posts in the ground and cover it with scrap lumber.

Unless you decide you do not mind him shooting into your property - having a conversation with him may not provide the answer. Especially if there is bait. I would not approach him in his stand, but maybe at his vehicle.

Plant a few fast growing aspen/popple and behing that a few evergreen trees along the property line. This will close of the lane in a few years.

You can certainly also put up a large sign or two about 10 feet high to block his sight lines.

The CO is your area sounds "lazy" or "local". I would talk with the CO again and find out why he did not respond faster and discuss that he may be wrong about shooting across another person's private property. You can also talk with his supervisor. I have found some MN COs are great to deal with while others are pretty lax in their interpretation of the law, especially if they grew up in the area.

Lack of law enforcement action may also suggest that the guy has ties to law enforcement, local government, or involved heavily in local politics.

I crapped in a guy's treestand over this very same thing. The S.O.B put his stand in the tree that the Fence was nailed to. On my way out opening morning, I made a point to walk the fenceline and [PoorWordUsage] at the base of the tree while he was sitting in it. Heard alot of curse words and "what are you doin's" but I didn't say a word and moved on. The stand was gone by that afternoon. Legal or not, no man has the right to shoot a deer standing on a neighbors property!