• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Camp Ripley thread

DHost21

Heading up there friday really early and only have one vehicle so I will be leaving it in line and hanging out all day. Anybody else heading up there and will be there friday look for a red ford explorer. I would love to meet some people and put faces to the computer names and share some hunting stories as well of course

Dustin

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My group will be getting there about 8am, well thats the plan. We will be staying in a gray wheelhouse with a black/tan tahoe. Stop by if you see us. I too wouldn't mind putting faces with names.

Good luck to all this up coming weekend, should be a great time, as usual.

My group will be getting there about 8am, well thats the plan. We will be staying in a gray wheelhouse with a black/tan tahoe. Stop by if you see us. I too wouldn't mind putting faces with names.

Good luck to all this up coming weekend, should be a great time, as usual.

but I already know what you look like! grin

Check into getting some HSO stickers on your truck before next year so we can identify other members during theses hunts,They also work great while ice fishing and on your boat. You would be surprised at how many members are in your area when fishing or hunting and it's always a good chit chat session.

Hopefully getting up here early will pay off. I'm about 20 cars back double file so probably like 40th in line so pretty good I think. Slept in the car for a couple hours now gonna go bum around and see what's up. Haven't been here before so its gonna be fun.

Good luck - you'll have first crack at location, especially if you plan on driving north. But if you haven't been there before and know of a spot, you're better off waiting for pink light and walking into an area when you can see what you're doing. Being on stand at first light doesn't mean much in Ripley!

Read an article in OD news today about the guy who shot two 10 pointers two hours apart. He shot a 10 pointer out of the same tree last year & a nice 8 a few years before that. Now THAT is what we call picking out the right tree! There's always one tree in any woods that deer will pass by the most, it's our job to find it!

Read an article in OD news today about the guy who shot two 10 pointers two hours apart.

We followed the guy out of camp to the reg station last thursday, got our hopes up for the next morning! Two very nice deer, his taxidermist will be happy!

Ya 130 sounds about right. Been dealing with work [PoorWordUsage] all day and my phone dying so been in my vehicle most of the day. But did get to shoot a few. Windy out but everything seems to be flying true. Which truck are you? Or just swing by and say hi if you want. The little red explorer

We're row 19 black ford.. Staying in a little camped with two pop out canas things not to far back from where we were shootin bow says travel star on it.. Yea I'll try and stop by or something don't know anyone around here so were just hanging out stop by if ya see it.

Well I guess I won't have first pick of spots... Just a joke there is no f in lienency here. Was probably 25th row and my moms glasses came apart as she ran back to the camper the line started going. We got passed 1 vehicles to wait as she is sprinting to the truck and we get sent to the back... What a waste yesterday getting here at 4 in the morning and what a joke.

Imagine what it would be like without strict rules... I would not go then as it would be total chaos. Take your spot in da back of the line and then go shoot a big one. Dont let it ruin your hunt. There is alot more to worry about in life.

I'm sitting in my tree right now. I missed a big one. I thought he was farther and I shot right over his back. He was was about 12 points. The bucks were chasing does. A small 10 pointer chased one right up to my tree. I could've got him with a spear. I've seen about 6-7 bucks already. Hopefully

I get another chance at another big one.

Ya I know rules are rules and they are in place for good it all works out anyways. Got to the woods late and ppl everywhere. Sat till 10 my brother saw a spike and mom saw a big one but couldn't see the rack. Just a big bodied deer she said so who knows. At 10 we drove around and found a good spot and sat the rest of the night. Saw a couple does on the ridge over getting pushed by something but didn't see what that was. Hopefully can get put there tomorrow and sit all day.

Talk to DNR and he didn't seem to know a number for deer registered but estimated only about 80 or 90 with the biggest be 215 lbs.

I didn't see anything big at the camp sites, though I didn't sit around at the weigh station. Saw some small bucks and does at a few trailers. This morning the sign said 97 shot on Saturday, if I remember correctly, biggest deer 220lb or something like that.

Saturday morning I saw one real nice buck. He was coming right in from my upwind side and would have been a 15yd shot on the biggest buck I've ever had that good of an opportunity on. It was perfect. I got my release clipped when he was behind some big trees 40yd out, then he stopped. Stood there maybe a minute but I couldn't see him through the trees he was behind. Then bounded back the way he came. No snort or tail up, just didn't like something, can't figure how he could have seen me or winded me. I suspect there were other hunters up-wind from him and the scent was blowing our way and maybe that spooked him.

I saw some other deer Saturday morning. I had a doe and two fawns trot through my 30yd lane faster than I could shoot, was at full draw but they were being pushed out I figure by other hunters. One mini-spike buck dogged them a half hour later, I let him pass too since he was moving pretty quick through the same lane. Soon after him was the big buck I mentioned above. The mini-spike got pushed back my way eventually, I let him pass again at 30yd as he ran through. Later I had another spike with maybe 4-5" antlers that I could have shot at about 15yd, but wanted to wait since it was just the first morning.

Saturday night I had a doe and fawn pushed towards me but they came from my down-wind side and caught my scent and trail. They circled me and kept going. Sunday morning we saw nothing.

Lots of hunters in the area I was in, well, rather just over from me. We had our spot to ourselves, but the other guys seem to have pushed everything out. In hind sight we should have moved areas for Saturday night and this morning...

I'd like to know where elkhuntingfan was sitting. wink

Had snow today it was pretty cool. Got down at noon and walked and scouted. Found some great areas. That place is amazing, every woods you step in are just tore up by bucks they are just smart. Left around 2 saw a 175 inch sitting on the back of a truck that's the only giant giant I saw hanging or in trucks. 91 deer registered after day 1 I didn't hear a day two total. Still an amazing place and csnt wait to go back even after the day 1 fiasco