• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pagami Creek wildfire (aerials added 11-3)

I was on the ground at the fireline yesterday shooting for Minnesota Public Radio. Fire crews were not willing subjects where we were, so there aren't a lot of faces in some of these. We weren't allowed off the road, and only had about half a mile of fire damage to photograph because down trees blocked us from getting to the end of the road where the old Forest Center used to be and now the Pow Wow Trailhead is. That area was completely burned and blackened.

Anyway, these photographs reflect that lack of access. frown

The fire has burned more than 100,000 acres, and after a couple of fairly calm and cool days, winds are expected to get gusty again over the weekend.

The images of the burned areas are in the exact same place along the Tomahawk Road as the photographs of the smoke and trees that started off this thread, so there's an interesting before-and-after comparison.

full-635-12281-hsoofficials.jpg

full-635-12282-hso0001.jpg

full-635-12283-hso0002.jpg

full-635-12284-hso0003.jpg

full-635-12285-hso0004.jpg

full-635-12286-hso0007.jpg

full-635-12287-hso0012.jpg

there was a large fire in the Ely area many years ago that went through where Bearhead State Park is today. the burnt stumps and parts of trees are still there today surrounded by the beauty of todays forests and wildlife that has reclaimed itself. i know the same will happen in this case. thanks for the pictures and for taking the time to get us closer to the affects of fire in the wild. good luck.

There are quite a few areas that were largely untouched by the fire, surrounded by tracts that were burned completely. What fire experts call a mosaic pattern. The first image below is a good example of that.

There is a lot of life already going on in the burn. Even in fall, plants are starting to regenerate, and when I was in there yesterday I saw a few species of birds, as well as fresh moose and wolf tracks right across burned areas, so the critters are right back in there.

Here are some more images from yesterday.

full-635-13457-blackandcolor.jpg

full-635-13458-regrowth.jpg

full-635-13459-reactionwood.jpg

full-635-13460-moosetrack.jpg

full-635-13461-islandriverpano.jpg

I love these images! Keep your eyes open for an influx of black backed and three toed woodpeckers, I've read that burned areas are favorites for them and that nesting usually increases in an area that has experienced a burn on this scale.

Here are some from yesterday, when Ken and I teamed up. A dark and rainy/snowy/sleety day led me toward two or three less cheerful compositions. smile

We saw and shot a nice young buck and a spruce grouse hen among some other subjects, but I wanted to keep this about the burned area, so didn't include them.

And FYI, yes, the Halloween colored image took a little help from Photoshop to bring out the face among the crowd. smile

full-635-13508-throughtheknothole.jpg

full-635-13509-kenandsteve.jpg

full-635-13510-halloween.jpg

full-635-13511-sere.jpg

full-635-13512-life.jpg

full-635-13513-*ken.jpg

I went up today to shoot some more work for MPR. I wanted to get up before the snow flies. Quite a sight indeed! All the images were shot around the Lake One chain, Pow Wow Trail, Isabella Lake, Island River and Forest Center areas.

They are all horizontals because that's what MPR wanted.

An unnamed bog

full-635-13651-bog.jpg

The former Forest Center

full-635-13652-forestcenter1.jpg

Different Forest Center view

full-635-13653-forestcenter2.jpg

Isabella Lake

full-635-13654-isabellalake.jpg

An island of green

full-635-13655-islandofgreen.jpg

Island River Bridge

full-635-13656-islandriverbridge1.jpg