• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat jumper cables (homemade)

ClownColor

I've had issuse in the past when I need to jump batteries in my boat. I run two AGM style batteries that have the bolt style terminals, which can be a pain to switch out in the boat espically in choppy waters.

After considering purchasing a small pair or jumper cables and seeing how expensive the "marine" styles were, can a person make some with just some wire and alligator clips? I realize I could just buy some cheapos at a box store for autos but I have plenty of wire and alligator clips lying around. I only need about 1-2 feet in length. If so, what gauge of wire would be apropriate?

Thanks,

I have a pair of small jumpers that I keep in the boat for just this purpose. They are about 8 or 10 ga copper stranded wire and work just fine. If you shop around a little you can probably buy them for less than it costs to make them.

Thanks for the info here. Sounds like most just use regular cheap auto cables which without a doubt would be my choice over "marine" cables.

Just supprised no one had tried making a set with wire and clips. Like I said, have plenty of wire and clips around so thought I'd save some money. Not being an electrical person, I'd thought I'd ask before ruining some expensive batteries!

And yes- those jumper boxes can be a real saver!

I ran some 6 gauge cables in my boat and had some leftover cable so I made 2 sets of 3 footers. One for the boat and one for the 4 wheeler. In the boat I can jump my starting battery from my trolling motor batteries and on the 4 wheeler I can jump with my Marcum battery. Just leave them in the boat and in the 4 wheeler tool box so I always have them if needed.

I used to carry jumper cables but I was at a auction and got three jumper boxs and they work great. I use one for back up lighting on the river and one is dedicated for starting. they are also nice because they have the cig lighter adapter in them so If I need a spot light or the GPS plugged in it does the job