• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite channel bait

fishuhalik

I got into catfishing about two years ago. Catch rates for me have been very low...I'm finding out that is my own doing, for lack of knowledge about catfish. Here's a great read: http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...Cat#Post2621226

Best all year around bait for channel cats is fresh cut bait (something natural to the water your fishing). Typical size for something less than 6# is a cut bait 1"x3"x1/2". When fishing for bigger channels, the bait size needs to go up.

There's a multitude of baits that work better at differnet times of the year. Grasshoppers even!

I plan to use some floats, jigs, paternoster rigs, and most importantly, fish the areas that hold ACTIVE fish.

I've learned a ton about location through reading Doug Stange's book. Can't wait to get out this weekend and put some fish in the boat.

Another thing i will try this weekend is "Stink Bait", but not the stuff you buy in the store. Will be cutting up some shad today, and letting that fester for a few days before use. Put in a jar, bury in dirt so it maintains a constant temperature, but not too hot. Should be stinky in no time! (If the raccoons won't touch it, the bait is ready!) As said previously though, fresh cut bait works all year round!

I use cut suckers as much as I can, mostly because they are easy for me to acquire. Like others have said, cut chunks into about 1 square inch and change every 20 minutes. Other baits work well too like chubs, frogs, goldeye (if you are from the Red River.) Bait preferences can change daily so something else to be thinking of.

My personal opinion on cut bait is "Putting a good piece of bait in the right place is more important than what that bait is."

Most of the time that theory works.

Have you guys tried frozen suckers or chubs? I've tried it and seems the cats are less active to it...anyone else tried this yet with good results or poor results like me.

I have found certain conditions where frozen sucker will outproduce fresh. Early spring when the ice is just off until the water temps hit about 48 degrees it is deadly. The other times I like it is when the water is really hot. I find that for some reason channels (especially smaller ones) love frozen sucker.

When the water is very cold - Ice off. Find eddy pools where the winter's dead rotten fish congretate, and the catfish chow down. This is the time to use the stinkiest of skinky baits. Rotten fish!

That bite dies off into may/june. Then by late july/august, go back to the stinky rotten fish. Fresh cut bait, and live are good options during the may-july period(as well as year round). Frogs work when frogs are abundant, as do other natural forages while they are abundant in the river.

You can get cats to eat anything from cow manure to last nights hot dogs if you put them on top of active cats. Chicken blood is a huge attractant, something about the amino acids in the blood. In Doug Stange's book, he tells of a river rat who would fill up a bag of cow dung and sink it in a large hole. This would keep the cats there all summer long he would say. crazy

The bigger cats are not going to go for the boughten stink baits, or other odd things that you can put on a hook, but the smaller cats are not too picky. Though channel cats tend to bite during the day, the bigger ones don't come out till evening in most cases (With exception to dams where they tend to be a day bite).

Frogs are probably the best bait out there hands down, but you have to have access to frogs. I like using Cut bait, generally gold eye since they are free, I dont knwo if I have seen a difference between goldeye and suckers, if I dont have much time to fish I will just pick up a couple suckers so I can get a line in right away. I have tried to freeze suckers and gold eye, but channels seem to prefer it fresh. I dont get the artificial stink bait, ive tried the gulp stuff and caught nothing but a carp. Although I have never tried it, some people swear by chicken livers or gizards.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I've been using heavy suckers, figured a small to medium cat would have no problem with 'em, guess I'll just have to catch me some suckers to use as cutbait. By the sounds of it some of you guys don't like using frozen bait, does that apply to cutbait too? It just seems that if you're only using fresh cut suckers for bait you'd spend the whole day sometimes just fishing for bait. It'd be alot more time-efficient to just keep 'em whenever you get 'em and then just take some out of the freezer when ya need one.

It is your opinion. So you can "argue" it all you want.

The best advice is to go out there and try them all. Find out what bait works best for you, or what bait you have had the best results with.

I personally have had better luck with bigger channels on live bait, cut bait, and frogs. Smaller channels have been on Liver and shrimp and spam.