• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

'Larger HP motor opinions? Merc, E-Tech, Yammy???

CrappiesNeyes

I've been looking at used boats (Mostly 2003-2007 bass boats or Ranger 6 series) online and I would like opinions on the various 2-stroke motors 150-250 hp out there. (Mercury EFI, Mercury Optimax, Evinrude E-Tech, Yamaha HPDI,etc. I am staying away from any of the Ficht motors or carb motors. I know the early opti's had some problems but are they better now? I am partial to Yamaha but please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance

I think you should be fine with an Opti now, especially with a 2003 or later. Both the Yammy 4 strokes and HPDI's are good motors. I'm a little leery on (then) first generation motors like an E-Tec in your timeframe. I'd also consider other 4 strokes such a Suzuki and Honda - both are quality high HP motors.

Regardless of the brand, I'd get them checked out by a quality mechanic.

Mercury had problems with the early, big block Optis, as did Evinrude FICHT series, as did the Yammy HPDI models. They were all getting into the DFI technology, and no one perfected it right off the bat.

I'll tell you right out the gate I prefer Mercury motors, but if I was buying a used rig, I would not shy away from Yamaha if the right boat had one hanging on it. I would not, however, buy a used boat with an ETEC on it, no way, no how. That's just me. I've seen too many problems with them. It's personal prefertence, and I'm not looking to get into a peeing match with anybody.

However, I have a 225 Opti on my boat, and a good fishing buddy has the same boat as me, but has a 200 HPDI on his. He goes through a lot more oil and gas than I do. They're known to get thirsty for these two necessities.

The newer 2 strokes (hpdi,opti)actually use less fuel than most of the 4 strokes, but use more oil. You can't really troll with them though. I think you have an equal chance with all the newest motors of getting a good motor regardless of brand. Lemons happen to everybody. The Pro XS mercs are probably the fastest if that is a concern.

I love my 225 ProXS. I only have 90 hours on it though. smile This is the first "big" outboard I've owned so I have no experience with others.

I know the e-tecs are quieter than the Optis. The Optis still blow the compressor now n' then. I don't know what the weak link is with the e-tec.

I just spent a week on LOTW chasin' muskies and burned a tad over 70 gals of gas. Covered a fair amount of water each day. Don't know if this is good or bad gas consumption for a rig like mine but I'm fairly pleased.

My '07 Opti was kinda loud, but had a very pleasing 'growl' to it. My '09 Opti isn't near as loud as my '07 was, and my buddy's '11 Opti Pro XS is quieter than my '09 no Pro XS. At idle and lower rpms, the Etec is quieter, but at WOT, there isn't much difference between it and the Optis. The four strokes definitely are much quieter. Another buddy of mine has 300 Verado Pro. At idle, you can't hear it running. All you hear is the pee stream hitting the water. At WOT, it sounds like a hair dryer on low. The HPDIs are also very quiet.

I would go Yamaha, Mercury, Honda or Suzuki. I would stay away from the E-tech I have seen way to many with problems on the water and at the landings. Whatever you get make sure you have a good service center that will work on it near you.

It is older tech nowadays, but we have '97 merc 150efi that has been bullet proof since '97. They always have been, all the efi's. A bit thirstier and a bit louder (great sound though!), but lots of power and great starting and running. I would not be afraid to get one or recommend one.

With that said, I would lean towards Opti (not the big ones in 2000-2001) or HPDI yammies simply for fuel economy, but I am black motor fan wink Good luck, have fun with your new rig when you get it!

I really like the optimax. I have had a 150 and now a 200 proxs and they are rock solid. On a bass boat its my number one recommendation and is the most desired which will help you with resale. If you decide to go with a walleye boat like the ranger 6 series I would recommend going with a 4 stroke motor.

I don't know how many different boats I've fished out of over the last 3 years with big motors but I've seen them all, predominantly on Ranger 600 Series boats.

Honestly, I'm an E-Tech fan. I really like how those motors run and they aren't too loud at full throttle either. As a buyer, I am a bit skeptical though... particularly if I'm buying on the used market. And the only reason I say that is there is a lot of rumor and talk on the forums about them blowing powerheads but everyone I've talked with who owns them loves them and haven't had any issues. I don't know, you'd have to make the decision for yourself.

Mercury's... I'd never buy a high hp Optimax unless you really, really love that sound. I can't stand it. Loudest motor at idle and loudest motor at WOT. Now a Merc ProXS is a different story. Still loud but not nearly as obnoxious as an Opti, I can live with it. If you want to really look cool, Merc Racing XS is what you are looking for... they have the orange/yellow/white decals on them.

Yamaha... that will probably be the motor I have on my boat if I'm buying used. I don't know if I've ever heard a bad thing about a 250 4-stroke. You'll give up a little bit (not much) on the top end but very, very quiet at idle and very good on fuel consumption. These are pretty bulletproof from what I gather. I've only been in one boat with a Yamaha VMAX Series 2 250hp but I was pleasantly surprised by that motor as well. Its an HPDI 2 stroke but very, very quiet at idle, very quick out of the hole with good top end. My only experience was good but I'd definitely consider that motor with a bit more research.

Opinions... opinions... opinions... I like Yamaha 4 stroke.

I would go Yamaha, Mercury, Honda or Suzuki. I would stay away from the E-tech I have seen way to many with problems on the water and at the landings. Whatever you get make sure you have a good service center that will work on it near you.

I have heard the same thing from a few marine guys about the E-tech having issues as I have been looking a lot for a new motor. See Out-of-commission post! frown

i think i mention this before

the hardest thing i'm finding is finding good relialbe mechanic!!!!!!!!!!!

i have an e-tec which runs fine and i like it

but i'm having troulbe finding somebody that can fix my gauge's

its been very frustratng

and i have to stick with e-tec certified because of warrenty issues

i have a good guy here but hes not certified