• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kayak/Canoe on roof of car

Easiest and cheapest is foam pads and rope. You may not even need to buy anything. Foam can be anything from the blocks sold in stores to pipe insulation or pool noodles.

Next upgrade and something I think is essential is a cambuckle or small hatchet strap to go over the top, two if you can fit them. They will hold the best without slipping. Most important item in my opinion.

Using or adding a roof rack is the ideal way because you get a firm base for attaching and its more versatile. You can still use foam pads but you won't need to run ropes or straps through the cab. Add a safety rope to the front and rear just in case and you're set.

Add a safety rope to the front and rear just in case and you're set.

That's the best advice right there. You can buy all of the racks and foam pads in the world, but if you don't know how to tie a good knot or winch something correctly, your canoe/kayak will sail off your vehicle at highway speeds. Make sure that you know what you're doing and use secondary/redundant/safety ropes to be safe. It's not just your canoe/kayak at risk but the lives of the people in vehicles around you!

I got my canoe for my b-day, and to go along with it also got a "yakima" brand car rack. It was pretty pricey ($200-300 I think? maybe a little more?), but super nice. They are semi-permanent, take a bit of time to make sure they're positioned right, but come off in a snap. I put mine on my car spring 2010 and haven't taken it off since.

Basically, my mom (who bought it for me) and I went to REI, told them that we wanted a car rack to carry a canoe, and they showed us our options. We told 'em I was looking for a yakima rack to carry a canoe and only a canoe, told 'em the model of my car, and they got together what I needed.

Yakima also has kayak-specific things to put on your car to carry MULTIPLE kayaks.

The other big competing brand to yakima is called Thule, and are every bit as good and priced almost identically.

I don't know the exact name of it, but I bought it at the Big C in Owatonna a few years back. Honestly, I'd just go pick up a pool noodle for $2, and get yourself some tie down ropes and ratchet straps. You'll probably save yourself about $15-$20. Otherwise, check amazon too, as they have a bunch of stuff under the keyword "Kayak Carrier".

honestly i feel more safe with a rack on. especially if you have one of the more expensive canoes/kayaks, i would definitely not cheap out on strapping it down. before i leave for the lake and before i head home, i always make sure i can rock my canoe strapped onto my car and it wont move and will instead move the car. that's when i know for sure that there's no way of it coming off in highway speeds.

honestly i feel more safe with a rack on. especially if you have one of the more expensive canoes/kayaks, i would definitely not cheap out on strapping it down. before i leave for the lake and before i head home, i always make sure i can rock my canoe strapped onto my car and it wont move and will instead move the car. that's when i know for sure that there's no way of it coming off in highway speeds.

i dunno, imo the foam blocks actually eliminate things that could go wrong. when you add a rack, you're adding more potential failing points - the rack itself, the attachment to the car, etc

can't get any more simple than strapping to the car itself. not that those racks fail often, i just wouldn't go as far as saying they are better than foam blocks for safety

+1 on making sure when you move the boat, it moves the car. fantastic advice, I do this myself.

I've had the rack fail before, but that was due to a terrible fit between the rack and the car. Some cars fit rack better than others. The G6 does not do well.

The shake test is great advice.

I love the use of the foams blocks, although the rack provides a simpler means to attach. Each has their pluses and minuses.

I also use the "rock the car" trick. If the boat moves than you need to reconsider your tie downs.

I first used those foam pads up top. They're nice and inexpensive. The problem was the bottom of my yak would scratch my roof and getting it off from the center of the car resulted in some nice scratches on the side. Wasn't too happy about that. Like someone said above, roof racks are the safest and sturdiest route. Plus they have lots of accessories if you get into something else.

Yakima makes a great rack. Everything they make is great quality and a few dollars less expensive than Thule due to the shipping. I went Thule because the kayak racks required a stretch kit or something which kind of offset everything.

Oh yeah, and with the roof rack I can get both my kayaks on and be on the road in 7 minutes flat. With the foam, it was 15-20 minutes for one kayak because that's all I could fit on top.

If you have straps over the top of the boat, they should be doing the majority of the holding. Ropes should be the safety measure and not necessarily the primary way of holding the canoe unless of course, you are not using straps at all.

I find that the more I mess with ropes the more I have to keep adjusting my setup because putting pressure on the narrow bow and stern will affect the balance point of the boat and how it balances on the roof of the car.

I always place the straps as close to the foam blocks when going over the boat and tighten them until the boat does not move. These secure the boat. I make sure the boat does not move. Then I add ropes to the boat ends for safety only. They are not too tight, only tight enough that they don't flap in the wind.

I used straps, but most of my driving was 35W so there's really no room for compromise. Also the pads wouldn't raise her high enough for the shape of my roof (Mazda 3) so if I didn't put down extra rags and stuff I'd get some really gorgeous texture on my roof. You know... the kind that salt just looooves to get into.

Foam pads were cheap and all I could afford last summer, but honestly I think they should only be a temporary thing so you can save up and buy a real rack....