• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kayak/Canoe on roof of car

I have a question regarding the J style mounts.

Can these J-style mounts attach to any factory installed roof rack? I have an older Chevy Suburban with a factory roof rack and I'm wondering if I can just purchase any old J mount to clamp on...or is it more specialized than that? (It looked like this is what Dark Cloud did with his setup)

Additionally - I've decided that I can increase my kayaking outings tremendously if I can find a way to use my Chevy Cobalt to transport the kayaks. I am considering buying a Yakima or Thule roof rack for the Cobalt and I'm now wondering if the J mounts would be transferable between the Cobalt rack and the factory Suburban rack...

Any experience, thoughts, or opinions?

Thanks in advance!

I have a question regarding the J style mounts.

Can these J-style mounts attach to any factory installed roof rack? I have an older Chevy Suburban with a factory roof rack and I'm wondering if I can just purchase any old J mount to clamp on...or is it more specialized than that? (It looked like this is what Dark Cloud did with his setup)

Most likely you wont be able to connect to the factory crossbar. Most of the j-racks are going to find onto a round or rectangle/square tube, which I'm guessing the suburban wont have.

Most likely you wont be able to connect to the factory crossbar. Most of the j-racks are going to find onto a round or rectangle/square tube, which I'm guessing the suburban wont have.

Yeah, my cross bar(s) is a thinned out piece of metal about 1 1/2" wide with a slight convex while spanning the roof...definitely not what I would consider round or rectangular.

EDIT: Looking more closely at the photo above, it looks like he purchased aftermarket cross bars and attached them to the factory roof rails. That might be a decent option too. I'll have to check into that.

EDIT: Looking more closely at the photo above, it looks like he purchased aftermarket cross bars and attached them to the factory roof rails. That might be a decent option too. I'll have to check into that.

You can even make your own crossbar. You'll need to know what size and shape the j requires, then make out of aluminum or steel and slide a square headed bolt down the track on the truck, up through a hole in the bar (would need to be drilled) and tightened with a nut or wing nut.

You could always drive to REI and ask if you can check the compatibility. They're the best when it comes to refunds and customer service and that's why you typically pay a little more for them. On the Cobalt, I'd definitely look into it. I put both of mine on a Mazda 3 without any issues. Only time I get nervous is 75 on the freeway when I'm coming up on a semi. Jerks the car around a bit.

If you choose to buy a rack, get a Thule. Yakima's great and makes EXCELLENT products, it's just they require you to purchase an additional stretch kit for kayaks so Thule ends up the less expensive route.

Yeah, my cross bar(s) is a thinned out piece of metal about 1 1/2" wide with a slight convex while spanning the roof...definitely not what I would consider round or rectangular.

You are correct...

There are a ton of options out there. I did a bunch of research and found a good price on a decent set-up on EvilBay.

Just picked the right crossbar for my vehicle model and 2 sets of "universal kayak roof top carrier". They will fit round, square, oval, or flat luggage racks...

While they are not Thule or Yakama, they have worked just fine for about 1,200 miles of travel this summer. Paid about 200 total, 80 for the cross racks and 120 for two sets of carriers... cool

While they are not Thule or Yakama, they have worked just fine for about 1,200 miles of travel this summer. Paid about 200 total, 80 for the cross racks and 120 for two sets of carriers... cool

That's pretty good in anyone's book. Nice find.