• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pin Yardage Help

Hey Gents,

Looking for your advice on a pin yardage. I shoot through sights with three pins set at 20, 30 and 40 yards. Problem is, I'm a bit high at 30 yards, but can't move my 30 pin up any higher, because it's bumping into the 20 pin.

Obviously, I could adjust to 15-30-40, 20-35-45, or some variation, but with the poundage and bow I'm shooting, I'm not going to take a shot at a deer more than 40 yards away. Of course, I could just aim low at 30, but where I hunt, most deer I see will be between 20-35 yards, and I would rather not have to remind myself that to aim low at 30 when Mr. Big Rack comes by. smile

As always, thanks for any help all your experience can provide!

personally, (and i have limited experience) after last year I decided to eliminate the thinking and just set my top pin for 15 yards. that way i'm just an inch or two high at 10 yards and an inch or two low at 20 yards, so I can pretty much just hold dead on anywhere between 10 and 20 yards with my top pin. really eliminates the guessing game, since I figure most of my shots will be 20 yards or less.

then i set my second pin at 25 and my 3rd at 35.

but to each his own, i'm sure you'll get more experienced archers advice with this thread

What poundage are you shooting and at what speed? I would make sure that my 20yd pin is dead nuts where you want it first. I personally shoot 28" draw at 70# 419 grain arrow 289 fps and have a fair amount of space for my 30yd pin under my 20yd pin. Personally if your yardages are that tight I would take advantage of that and go to a heavier arrow. That being said I believe that as bowhunters we need less speed and more kinetic energy just my thoughts.

if you don't need 3 pins, then don't use 3. If you can use the same pin all the way to 30yds them you don't need a 20yd pin, especially if they are that close.

Try shooting your 20yd pin at 30yds and see if they hit the same. If so then you're set. If not then I would start over at 20yds and make sure it is dead on and then move on to farther yardages.

Another option would be a different sight like a spot hog where you can cram your pins really tight together but they tend to get too cluttered. That's why I moved to the single pin I set it for 23 and can hit anything from 0 to 30 anything farther I just turn the knob to the correct yardage and I'm dead on.

I totally agree with sniper. That is why I use an HHA slider sight. I have mine locked at 27yds. and I am never more than 2" high or low out to 35yds. No mistakes aiming with the wrong pin and no cluster of pins in the sight blocking my view. If an animal is farther than 35, then I should have time and cover to move my sight up. If its happening too fast to move my sight, I probably shouldn't be taking the shot.

i shoot a pendulum on one bow and a slider on the other cant stand more then one pin and having them close together, on the other hand my gf who just started shooting this spring likes having the multi pin setup much better. Depending on your setup a single pin can be awesome cause you can use one pin from 0-30 really easily.

I switched to one pin a few years ago and couldn't imagine it any other way. It's spot on at 15 yards and I've learned to compensate ever so slightly inside and outside of that up to 35 yards. I won't and don't need to shoot a deer further out than that in my current hunting conditions. I will practice out to about 45 yards sometimes but that is practice and wouldn't attempt that distance on a live animal. I would change my ways though if headed out West and had to shoot at 40 plus yard distances.

As you can see it's all a matter of personal preference.. I personally like my 5 pin. My bow shoots fast and flat so my top pin is at 30 yards and the difference is minimal at anything closer so no adjustment is needed. Then it's 40 then 50. Which are for practice only, the other two are just spares. So i could get away with a single pin no problem, but I like the other pins for the practice aspect.

I would first make sure that my 20 yd pin is where is is supposed to be first, and then work my 30 yd pin.

I shoot a matthews hyperlite it is fairly fast and there is plenty of distance between pins. But if your 20 is dead center and 30 is high move it to 35.