• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

favorite crank bait rod

Dano2

A couple of years ago I came home from the Sportsman's Show with 7' Fenwick HMG, real stiff tip, casts a country mile. Boy do I love that rod. I can't remember the exact model, it's 100 miles from where I'm sitting right now, but it's a casting model. I'm looking around for a better reel for it.

I found one rod that really stands out from my other ones. It is a Cabela's Fish Eagle steelhead rod. It is ten foot and has a tip the is very sensitive for feeling the tight wiggling plugs. The make two models and the heavier of the two works very well for pulling planer boards. The are also a very affordable rod at $80.00
mw

For my applications(longlining) I like a 6-7ft medheavy IM6 or graphite composition rod with a softer tip. I use the superbraids nearly 100% of the time for pulling cranks. You need the softer rod to keep from tearing out hooks with the no stretch lines. I can still tell every wiggle on the lure and also with a quick snap clear any weeds I pick up. My favorite is a Guide Series IM6 Med 6 1/2 ft casting rod. I works about perfect.

Borch

Crappie Tom made me a SWEAT St. Croix Legend Elite 7' Med/Heavy for bottom bouncing and casting bigger baits. Super light and sensitive! You may want to see what he can do for ya.
For pulling cranks on inline boards on the big lake I use 2 - 8.5' Diawa Heartlands and they work great. Plus I can use them for BB rods. Tag them up with a Diawa Sealine 17 or 27lca and its a great combo.

[This message has been edited by Northlander (edited 08-22-2004).]

I have a custom made St. Croix Elite that is rated 8-20 lb, 7' long. I love this rod for pulling cranks. The key to me is a long enough handle. If I am holding the rod or the rod is in a rod holder, a long handle makes for easier, more comfortable fishing.

I have a Scheels Guide Series rod that I just love for trolling cranks. It is 7' and line rating is 10-17lb. It is listed as a I'M6, but it is one of the most sensitive rods that I use. Then I have it spooled w/10lb powerpro. So its sensitive and gets the lure down there.

The Scheels rods that have the, square 'Made In The USA' tag on them, are made by Hagen's out of Mitchell,SD. I get 90% of my rods directly from them, otherwise they are from Scheels.
They make all their rods from a St.Croix blank. So IMO, its just like getting a nice St.Croix rod at a lot lower price. Plus they have a lifetime warranty on them (at least at scheels) so if it breaks, send it back no, Q's asked.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!