• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

glass shad raps?

carlcmc

Has anyone had any luck (better or worse than originals) with the rapala glass shad raps? I bought 5-6 the other day at cabelas and was wondering what other's experience is?

I dont think to many people have had a chance to try them yet.
I picked up one just because I needed another pattern of the Shad Rap's.

When walleye opener comes we will see how well they work.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

i think they were 5.99. i picked up the pearl, perch, baby bass, and the blueishing one.

the pearl one look neat. its whitish but as you rotate it, the middle changes colors from blueish to yellowish.

Tried mine... had a couple hits, but nothing big...
Hoping that it'll be better used later in the season.. seems like they're still after live bait a lot heavier right now..

------------------
Fishin' is life
The rest is just details

I have used these buggers and they are smokin. The white pearl is going to be my #1 plug this year.( It actually already is.) The perch will be my #2. These have put fish in my boat when the others would not. The rattles and the extra flash really seem to help.

One other tidbit- The MWT on Lac qui Parle was won with the White #5s this past weekend.
mw

Are the Glass Shad Raps the same size and material as the newer plastic rattling ones or more like the original balsas?

You know, I can't believe that Normark even calls the plastic ones Shad Raps. They should be called something else so people don't get confused.

For one, a number 5 plastic/rattling shad rap is quite a bit larger than a number 5 original balsa. I'd say they dive more like a balsa number 7. I'm sure that is the case for the other sizes as well.

I like the balsa's better.

What does everyone else think? Balsa or plastic?

The #5 glass SR does go as deep running as the #7 balsa 10-12'.
The #4 runs about7-9' max depending on line test and amount of line out from boat!
Really need some warm stable weather to determine if any lure is good. So far it's been a cold monsoon season thats made fishing pretty eratic to say the least.
I caught a 17" walleye on a glass/white Husky Jerk!
I know the pike love those glass shad raps!
Even in 15-20' of water!

[This message has been edited by Finlander (edited 05-26-2004).]

I realy like the glass husky jerks. I used the deep divers eariler this year on lake Erie with very good success. Our biggest fish was 31" and 11.5 lbs. It came on the blue glass husky jerk.
I hope to put the glass shad raps to use this weekend. I'll report any success.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

I bought the smaller pearl colored one, and caught a nice smallie at Kab on it. I'll bet that lure would work well in low light conditions. Can't wait to try it on eyes in a few special places.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 05-27-2004).]

How durable are the glass shads? If you cast them and they accidently hit rocks or a dock or something, will the just bounce off or will they shatter?

Well they're not actually glass. grin.gif
All they are is just a clear plastic with a reflecive piece in the middle.

Otherwise they work like a normal shad rap, just bouncing around.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

I will tell you this about durability. At least as far as the Glass Husky Jerks are concerned, the reflective stripe in them is a piece of foil that runs down a small hollow channel. This past weekend I was using one near weeds and every now and then when I had a small weed on, I'd slap it on the water at boatside to knock the weed off. I've done this for years and have never had a lure break. Well, you guessed it, the glass husky jerk broke right in half. I guess I'll be more careful with them from now on.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

Crossin', I also slap my lures when they have weeds on them. But unlike you, I've never broken my Glass Husky Jerks. I absolutly loves these things! They're dynomite for open water Walleye's!

[This message has been edited by MedicineMan (edited 06-02-2004).]

Crossing eyes,

Hope you didn't throw that lure away. Rapala will replace any broken lures. I've got a couple of shad raps I need to send in for replacement.

Borch

I used glass shad raps A LOT over the last week. They're good baits, at least for the depths I was fishing. The smallest size is really hard to tune though - about half of them run good, about half of them need some major work and/or frequent adjustments to get them running true.

Well I am guilty, after work i bought the gsr 7, gsr 5 and gsr 4 in all four patterns two for each size and pattern, hope they work, I think they will work in the BWCAW quite well, thats why i bought back ups for them, because thats my luck on how things go....
Best Fishes
Chris

Hey Crossin Eye's, if you weren't so busy catching carp on jigs and shiners, maybe you would have noticed how some of those No. 4's were running. Here's a tip - about half of them don't have split rings on them any more.

Went pretty good, really cold out and windy, but it still produced, I got 13 smallies over 17 inches, I was able to find a pretty good pattern and eastbalished it early, bunch of northerns on spinnerbaits and enough walleyes at dusk to keep you up throught the bugs and watch the northern lights and here the loons serenade, another good trip to the bdub, plus the food wasnt bad either!
Best Fishes
chris

Been hearing so many good things about the glass shad rap i finally bought one.
no.5 white. I was on spring lake evening of the 4th. caught a 4 lbs bass in 10 ft of water on it and the crappies were banging the heck out of it.