• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wild trade Havlat

Bran32

Wild trade Marty Havlat to Sharks for Dany Heatley! If Heatley can get back to form we'll have a #1 line of Heatley, Koivu, Setagouchi!! Seems to be a good deal except we pay more for Heatley!

Seems like a good deal on the surface. At least in this offseason it looks like the Wild are actually trying to improve, so hopefully these deals work out for the best.

Any body who doesn't love this deal is craz heatly had good numbers and played hurt all year. Including a broken hand the last month of the season. This is better for havlat. Don't be surprised if he tears it up. Mn just wasn't a good fit for him. Heatly said 3 years ago he would come here. I'm glad he is. Also hi salary goes down each year. I thinks $5mm in 2 years. Heatly is the go to clutch player the wild have never had don't be surpised if you see him play with pmb tho

I love it!!!! I never thought in a million years someone would take Havlat for that much $$$. He needs good players around him to make up for his coasting and soft play.

Heatly isn't a cure all but it is a step in the right direction.

With the lines now looking like

PMB Koivu Heatley

Latendresse Brodziak Setoguchi

Nystrom Cullen Clutterbuck

That is really exciting those first two lines should put up some great numbers!! Can't wait for October Hockey, Bowhunting, and Walleyes and not necessarily in that order!! smile

Great trade for both teams in my opinion. The canadian fans sure hate heatly. The article on the TSN HSOforum comments are pretty funny. The majority of people on there believe the sharks really won both of these trades. Havlat was basically compared to god by those fans. Havlat might be pretty good but like the Star Trib said today, the wild were 30th in shots attempted, Havlat is a pass first guy. Plus he looks like he isn't trying very hard. The wild signed him for a lot of money to be the man here. Wasn't going to happen. Both Seto and Heatly will help with shots. Plus they hit the net.

Maybe now when Koivu centers the puck out of the corner or behind the net the puck won't go 3 feet wide of the net like "miss the net Mientenen" shots would. I don't think I want PMB-Koivu-Heatly for line one though. Koivu and PMB should be split up. Kinda both setup guys. We'll have to see what the coaches think.

I think they'll try to split up the two shooters Seto and Heatly. I'm guessing Cullen will play on the second line as well. Brodziak seems better at playing that defensive role on the checking line than an offensive role on the 2nd line.

Also, we signed Powe to a three year contract. That third line is going to be brutal for opposing teams to play against. Just imagine having two Clutterbuck's on the same line. grin

Do we have anyone who can go ge the puck out of the corners to set up heatley. Kuoivu I guess. Pmb is pretty soft. From what I remember about heatley, he gets a good amount of assists but they are from guys getting his rebounds and not him going in the corners and making things happen. I'm excited to seehow this shakes out. I see koivu getting a lot of rebound goals off heatley one timers. One of the biggest keys is still ltd. We ned him healthy and scoring. He will add a ton to our options.

Seto. Mikko. Heatlry

Ltd. Brodiak. Pmb

Powe cullen clutter

Maybe give cullen some 2nd line time too

I'm liking this move more and more, Heatley had a pretty bad year last year and still netting 4 more goals then Havlat. Heatley has also averaged 40 a year since the lockout and is only 30 so he should have some gas left in the tank. A trade might fire him up again. I could also see Havlat having a career year with the Sharks so this might work out great for both teams.

I'm liking this move more and more, Heatley had a pretty bad year last year and still netting 4 more goals then Havlat. Heatley has also averaged 40 a year since the lockout and is only 30 so he should have some gas left in the tank. A trade might fire him up again. I could also see Havlat having a career year with the Sharks so this might work out great for both teams.

Heatley also played with a broken bone in his hand or wrist as well.

What I don't get is how all of us fans are absolutely pumped about this, but the supposed experts are not thrilled. Listening to lou nana yesterday he. Was calling this trade more of a wash. Saying maybe we got the best of it. WHat the heck, havlat was borring. Heatley will be the first ever clutch player to skate for the wild. Gaborick got points but honestly who cares when the goals you get are always the 4th goal on a 4 to 1 game.

I remember the experts were all pumped when we got havlat, the fans were less then thrilled. I'm gonna agree with the fans. Heatley is going for 35 goals and 70 some points this year.

The thing is that Havlat wasn't doing much here. We weren't going to get 30 goals out of him, he didn't gel with our top end players and he had issues with management.

Even if Heatley only scores 30 goals (which he can do plus more), it's more than we were getting out of Havlat. We do pay more, but the Barker buyout nullifies 2/3 of that and we know Barker was replaceable with our young talent for <$1M.

In the end, this isn't costing us much and is giving us the opportunity to win more games. It's a good trade for Minnesota at least, probably for SJ too. The only reason the 'experts' are looking down at it is because of Heatley's decline from two 50 goal years. They apparently haven't looked at Havlat's numbers while he was here.

It could end up being a wash but I think we have a much better chance to get the better side of this deal. A healthy and motivated Heatley should be able to get 35+ goals. It also sound like our other new goal scorer from the sharks will be very happy to play with him.

I'm happy for this trade as well. Havlat never looked happy to be out there and it was obvious. He's a good player and has shown flashes of that for the Wild and in the olympics. But his play is inconsistent at best and Heatley will hopefully pick up the slack that Havlat has left behind. More than anything, I just want consistent players who can perform. I am so sick of mittens, havlat etc. not giving 100% on shifts.

I never thought I'd be this excited for the hockey season. It's good to see some moves.

I'm happy for this trade as well. Havlat never looked happy to be out there and it was obvious. He's a good player and has shown flashes of that for the Wild and in the olympics. But his play is inconsistent at best and Heatley will hopefully pick up the slack that Havlat has left behind. More than anything, I just want consistent players who can perform. I am so sick of mittens, havlat etc. not giving 100% on shifts.

I never thought I'd be this excited for the hockey season. It's good to see some moves.

Yep. When my kids are pointing out how Havlat isn't playing hockey, he is just skating around and not giving it 100%, you know he has more to give.

Here's a depth chart I copied off the strib HSOforum. We actually look like a half decent team next year. If we get the performance we expect our of our new aquisitions, I think we have a legitimate shot at a playoff spot. But, who knows for sure what we'll get. Defense could be a question if we have injuries coupled with youth not playing well.

FORWARDS

Line 1: Pierre-Marc Bouchard ($4.25 million salary, $4.08M salary cap hit); Mikko Koivu ($7.29M, $6.75M); Dany Heatley ($8M, $7.5M)

Line 2: Guillaume Latendresse ($2.6M, $2.5M); Matt Cullen ($3.5M, $3.5M); Devin Setoguchi ($2.75M; $3M)

Line 3: Darroll Powe ($950K, $1.066M); Kyle Brodziak ($1.3M, $1.15M); Cal Clutterbuck ($1.5M, $1.4M)

Line 4: Colton Gillies ($600K, $625K); Eric Nystrom ($1.4M, $1.4M); Brad Staubitz ($600K, $575K)

Extras: TBD; TBD

Note: One or two spots are open depending on if the Wild keeps 13 or 14 forwards (assumes Gillies makes the team), or seven or eight defensemen.

Vying for spots: Casey Wellman, Cody Almond, James Sheppard, David McIntyre, Carson McMillan, Matt Kassian, Jed Ortmeyer, Jeff Taffe.

Restricted free agents: Wellman, Sheppard, Jarod Palmer

Unrestricted free agents: John Madden, Antti Miettinen, Patrick O’Sullivan

Minor league unrestricted free agents: Robbie Earl

DEFENSEMEN

Pair 1: Nick Schultz ($3.6 million salary, $3.5M salary cap hit); Marek Zidlicky ($4M, $4M)

Pair 2: Greg Zanon ($2.1M, $1.933M); Jared Spurgeon ($535K, $527K)

Pair 3: Clayton Stoner ($575K, $550K); TBD

TBD; TBD

Note: Two or three spots are open depending on if the Wild keeps 13 or 14 forwards.

Vying for spots: Marco Scandella, Nate Prosser, Justin Falk, Drew Bagnall.

Restricted free agents: Falk, Jeff Penner.

GOALIES

Starter: Niklas Backstrom ($6 million salary, $6M salary cap hit)

Backup: Josh Harding ($750K, $750K)

SALARY BREAKDOWN

• Actual 2011-12 payroll (as of today): $53,769,445

• Salary cap hit: $52,109,777

Notes: Includes bought-out Mark Parrish’s $927,778 payoff and cap hit and soon-to-be-bought-out Cam Barker $541,667 payoff and $375,000 cap hit.

He's on there until 2014 I believe. Way to go DR. That was about the best signing he ever made. I think this was the beginning of the end for his regime. The Gaborik debacle simply sealed his fate.

Can we afford one more solid D man? We need it bad.

I think they may add one more, but it won't be a big name guy.

Stoner, Spurgeon, and Scandella were good at the end of the year last year. Stoner was probably our best d man at the end of the year IMO. I think he will be a stud this year. He can skate and isn't afraid to rough it up when needed.

I bet with Yeo knowing Prosser from Houston and hearing how he played in the playoffs that he has a good chance at making the team.

Shultz is usually pretty solid, but he had concussion issues at the end of the year and Zidlickey seems to get hurt often, so we know we need an extra. Zanon had a tough year IMO last year, but is tough as nails. Hopefully he can step it up.

We've got the space for a defenseman signing, the FAs just aren't out there. Maybe through trade, but who do we really want to trade right now as we try to build up young players?