• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seward or Homer

I'd say it more depends on who is taking you out than what city you go out of. Do your research into the best charters/boats/captains to take you out. PM me if you want info on the guide I used out of Seward. Boats are likely going to be going to similar spots out of each city unless you get someone that doesn't drive that far out. The cheaper charters will drive you to chicken patches for halibut where you will be catching fish non stop all day but you likely wont get a fish over 20 lbs. We took a 2.5 hr trip out to sea on our charter and we got 2 fish that were over 100 lbs and several over 50. You get what you pay for IMO

I think that Seward offeres more of a multi species opportunity. My wife and I went out of Homer and caught halibut and cod. People at our hotel went out of Seward and caught halibut, ling cod, rock fish, coho salmon, pink salmon and yellow eye. It seemes like the bigger halibut are caught out of Homer, but we were kind of disappointed on the multi species action. According to the group we ran into the silvers or coho on light tackle were a BLAST. Leeping out of the water and peeling out drag.

I and 3 friends just returned from a 7 day trip. We left Homer and stayed 3 hours away at a remote camp the entire time. (Near Elizabeth Island.) Caught plenty of Halibut (not big) and Lings (large). Black rockfish were quick and no problem on yelloweye. We didn't wish to fish for salmon, but saw them.

We did see, when they could make it that far and weren't prevented by wind, charter boats from Homer. But, for them it was 2 1/2 -3 hours out, and then the same back. The key is the weather and ability for the Homer boats to make the long run past the "chickens".

Back in June of 2003 my now ex wife and I spent a week up in seward with her relatives. they lived a few blocks off of resurection bay. they had a boat large enough to go out fishing with. I ended up going fishing with them for 2 days at homer for halibut and then we went back to seward and went out the next day for salmon. it was a fun time. I would say Homer is better for halibut and cod and Seward is a better salmon area. also had a chance to try fishing the russian river one day when we were there. I would love to get up there again some time if it would ever work out. I think I would do the same thing again 2 days at homer and 2 days at seward.

seward can be great for butts also. you just have to go further out. homer is a further drive to the town but dont have to go out as far in the boat. seward is closer town but have to boat out further. its a horse a piece

If you go to Homer look up Arctic Addiction, Capt. Mike Manns. Never fished with him, but he has a great rep with other Charter Capts. He is not afraid to make the long trip for multi species (2 1/2-3 hours). When i was there his was often the only boat we saw fishing very early in the morning as he leaves Homer very early. (We were already there as we stayed overnight for a week 3 hours out of Homer.) Our deckhand described him as the best!