• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walking With Boreal Wildflowers

Our 3-day workshop was a resounding success! Photo subjects showed up where they were supposed to, Mother Nature was supportive and we had four great clients for the weekend.

Thank you

Deb:

www2.gif

Genni:

www5.gif

Jackie:

www17.gif

And Bonnie:

www21.gif

Steve and I got to do some shooting during the second two days of the workshop:

www4.gif

Some of the things we were able to shoot:

www1.gif

www6.gif

www13.gif

www14.gif

www20.gif

Here are some of mine from the workshop. As Ken alluded to, our mission was not to capture art, but to nurture the talent of other emerging photo artists.

Nevertheless, we did get a few licks in over the few days. smile

We were truly blessed by weather. Friday was sunny and quite warm, but with some nice light clouds from time to time. And, since it was totally a wildflower day, we were able to photograph all day long in the sun, with the help of a few light diffusion aids. Saturday delivered a bit of drizzle now and then along the shore, but very little, and the dark skies allowed us to make scenic photographs throughout the day as well. Sunday was quite drizzly, with intermittent lapses in the drizzle, but it never go so bad that we couldn't continue working.

Since Ken has posted images of our participants, I won't add to those. I will say that all four of the photographers we worked with had great desire to bring art to their photography, and were talented, good company, and determined shooters.

This first batch of images was from Saturday along Lake Superior. The theme of the day was cottony water via long, long exposures. Subjects included some North Shore streams and waterfalls, which Ken and I did not photograph much this time. But such exposures also can render Lake Superior in an interesting and, sometimes inspiring, way, and you'll note that a few of these images follow the theme. A couple of them clearly require a large print to bring out the grandeur of such a mighty body of water.

full-635-9728-engulfed.jpg

full-635-9729-webandadog.jpg

full-635-9730-webmoody.jpg

full-635-9731-webpanoplants.jpg

full-635-9732-webrocky.jpg

full-635-9733-webtwopoints.jpg

full-635-9734-webperched.jpg

I am amazed by how many predators go for the back of the neck/base of the skull, it must be instinctual in so many species. Love both of the spider and the bee shots.

Ken, I really like the drama in the first shoreline shot both the sky and the water look angry.

Steve, the turtle shot is great.

Looks like you had a very successful workshop. Thanks for all the sharing you guys do. Both the photos as well as your tips.

I was fortunate to spend last weekend "On the Road with Ken & Steve." I learned so much, but my macro skills are not quite as "macro" as theirs, so I figured I'd share a few images I captured over the 3 days.

Thank again Ken and Steve for your preparation and for sharing so much.

For some reason the yellow lady's don't seem to be showing up, I'll do a couple of posts

Ferns in the bog

5861628248_3d0e4e1a7b_z.jpg

photo by JackieSchu, on Flickr

Pink Lady's Slipper

5861623820_6ed168d4bf_z.jpg

Spotted Coralroot

5861062093_01983d23f1_z.jpg

Yellow Lady's Slippers

5861044365_71c94baa9f_z.jpg

Two Island River

5861050745_7774acc5eb_z.jpg

Evening on the Big Lake

5861054395_47a0a67bbf_z.jpg

Lake Superior's unique rock beach

5861613770_3f1dff1fd4_z.jpg

A few more

5861046019_381516409c_z.jpg

Got a little carried away with post-processing tricks on the iPad grin

5861067465_a31597174a_z.jpg

Root cellar for the Sugarloaf Logging Company, no I did NOT go inside, despite Mr Foss's encouragement!

5861059171_6d1778693e_z.jpg

And when I returned to our cabin in was delight to find the Showy Lady's Slippers blooming here!

5861626014_96f66c3024_z.jpg

You are right! We were able to discuss some of what she has accomplished and it was amazing!

Jackie - what marvelous photos! Particularly like the spotted, Two Island and the root cellar! Well done!

Surprised Foss didn't recognize the last name. grin

Why assume that? I'm sometimes perceived as a Chatty Cathy, but I don't speak of everything I know. gringrin

Deb was not eager for her accomplishments to be tallied. It took a friend of hers to get the story told. In a world where people tend to be eager to blow their own horns, Deb (and the whole group last weekend) was a refreshing change. smile

Jackie, thank you so much. I see some really fine work here. Among the nice images, I'm especially captivated by the river work, and the effects on the root cellar photograph imply a ghostly figure lurking near the door. Hmmmm, speaking of ghosts. wink