• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

IPS2 vs. 2XB Which delivers the dryer, smoother ride?

Moose-Hunter

In my experiences the Lund has a smoother/better/dryer ride. With that said a lot of staying dry is knowing how to drive a boat. The IPS2 seems to dispurse the waves better than any tin hull I have been in. Oh by the way this more than likely will go into a brand war because you asked the better of 2 brands.

Many guys who have been in my 17' Explorer say it rides better than other 17' boats they have been in.

i don't think you can go wrong with either one. The ride differences are going to minimal. I have a 2010 trophy 175 and my cousin has a couple year older Tyee. Other than i like my motor a bit better than his the two are really comparable. In large rollers either boat will keep you dry and be relatively smooth or giving you a fair amount of water spay depending on how skilled you are at driving in the conditions.

in my opinion between the two there are larger differences in layout (personal preference), dealer support (depending on where you live) and out the door cost. the hull designs between these two are like 1A and 1B in the aluminum boat world.

I agree with the other two posts --- both are top of the line aluminum hulls, and there are other factors that are likely to be a lot more noticable or important to you between those two boats.

As for which one has the best ride, I'll take the one with the best driver. Good luck and have fun shopping.

After owning 2 Lund Pro-V's, and fishing in my sisters 17' Explorer, the Pro-V with the IPS hull was way drier then the non IPS hull. Also the Pro-V had the maximum rated horspower (150) outboard which was able to trim the hull up higher to eliminate alot of the water spraying over the front of the hull. My sisters Explorer that is rated for 135hp motor and has a 90hp outboard on it doesn't have the power to trim the hull to optimize it's design.

So to say which boat hull is better is only determined with the maximum rated motor for that boat. So don't underpower you're boat! 2c

Fins,

Explorers have had IPS for a long time now, the newer ones have IPS2 like the Pro-V. Most of the switchover to IPS occurred in late 90's/early 00's. Not sure what year your sisters Explorer is.

As to which rides better, I agree that driver and probably weight distribution will be greater factors than those 2 hull designs.

I love my IPS on my '03 Angler (the same design as the Explorer). My 90 hp Yamaha does a great job of keeping me as dry as my broinlaws 18V with the 150. His does handle the big waves better/smoother because of the length/weight, but I am totally satisfied with my rig.

seen alot of XB2 in the shop with dented in hulls. see it alot

Please substantiate. This is one of those comments that is impossible to prove. I own an Alumacraft, have owned Lunds. Have had boats and been around boats for 30 years and have never seen one caved in of any brand (from just water that is...). I'm not saying it has never happened but you are making it sound like it is an everyday occurance. If it occured much you'd hear about it on these forums - people scream about much less than a dented hull on this and other forums. IPS(2) and 2XB are proven hulls, the OP would be fine with either. Good Luck, Paul

i believe 2xb, with being the whole length of the hull are heavier than IP2, being double layered aluminum that is.

I had the same dilemma too. And while I went with the Lund, cause deep down that's what I always wanted, I didn't realize then that the 2xb would naturally be heavier of a hull. Positives and negatives of that, I'll leave you to debate. But something to keep in mind.

I was deciding between an lund explorer 1725 and alumacraft 1775 navigator. Both similar boats. The navigator was a bit wider and longer, but lacked the center rod storage which was important to me.

So once again, go with the layout you like, not so much the brand!

where does it say on my post that it happens to everyone?

As noted in my post - what I asked for was substantiation; how many have you seen? What was determined to be the cause? Is this at an Alumacraft dealer, which one? You stated you see it a lot - you're asking me to believe something that I haven't seen from any brand. Whenever i see posts that state something happens a lot to "brand x" I like to know the details behind the claim.

Honestly - in today's economy, no boat builder can afford bad quality and alienating customers (or potential customers). We have good choices out there but much of the difference is pretty subjective. Lund, Alumacraft, Crestliner, Starcraft, and on down the line - pick it because YOU like the way it fishes, or entertains or whatever. Chances are quite high if bought from a good dealer you will be happy with your purchase. Nuff said. Good Luck!! Paul

seen alot of XB2 in the shop with dented in hulls. see it alot

I'd like to know the details behind this. Please explain.

+1. I'm curious if the poster of this info is in boat sales as well.

as a matter of fact i am in sales, and have sold alumacraft along with every other brands. There has been hulls that have come from bigger bodys of water that i have seen denting in the hulls. They have been older models, not newer then 2007.

I hav eseen it with other brands as well, cracking hulls, rivets poped, or whatever. It just happends. Nature of the beast

What kind of performance are you getting and what prop you using on the Angler? I have the same rig

I love my IPS on my '03 Angler (the same design as the Explorer). My 90 hp Yamaha does a great job of keeping me as dry as my broinlaws 18V with the 150. His does handle the big waves better/smoother because of the length/weight, but I am totally satisfied with my rig.

To dig a post up from the past...

I've had a chance to compare my 2XB hull to a brand spakin' new Lund ISP2 hull of the same length with the same engine even. Both boats, just about identical as they are "competing" models. Mine had about 8 to 10 gallons more fuel. Close to identical equipment loads when I removed my down riggers and mounts. Left those back in the truck and hit the water.

Tested both on the same day, just minutes aprt so the conditions were almost identical. Wind out of the northwest just enough to break over a few to create small white caps. nothing huge, but large enough to make a difference.

Our findings... They both deliver smooth dry rides IF you know what you're doing behind the wheel. If the throttle and trim are properly set... you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart if blindfolded. Trimmed down and plowing... You'll pounded and soaked. Part throttle and medium trim... Again... A bit of pounding but a little dryer as the spray line is now farther back. Trimmed up and throttled up a bit more, both hulls just skimmed over/through the crest of the waves with only a slight bounce and a nice dry ride. The farther back the spray line, the dryer the ride.

Basically folks... Unless you've radically changed the overall design due to mods or damage or are grossly overloaded or have unbalanced weight distributuion... This is one argument that needs not take place in the Lund vs. Alumacraft debate. I think "moot" is the word. wink

Next...

My 2xb has been on LOW, and the Pond in insane waves. Not one issue. The bigger the better....bring it on! smile

Lake Pepin + cruisers going past @ 25+ will make big waters looks small.

I have owned a 2006 trophy 175 and now a 2009 trophy 195.

I will say the captain of the boat has 80% to do with with it over anything else. Me personally wont spend the extra 5k for the 'L' brand that has nothing better then the "A' brand.

Its all in the driver of the boat. Ever seen those guys out in 14fters on ML? Skill...and what your comfortable in.