• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sticker

8-Ball

Glad to hear that Limit. That puppys going on the underside of one of the storage compartments. Surprised no one has brougt it up yet. But I paid good money for my boat and Ill be darned if I want some ugly sticker on it!!

Reading from others about the volunteers putting the sticker on there boats, You let them? I did mine myself. again not being vain, but I worked my butt off for my boat, and I dont want it just slapped on anywhere. Maybe im the exception but so be it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

limitout,

was that the only thing that changed in the final bill.

I don't know. After hearing of this ridiculous sticker provision I looked up the bill before it was passed and one version said it had to be "within sight of the operator" but that requirement was removed when the final law was enacted. I didn't look closely at the other portions of the bill to know what else changed by the time it was signed.

If anyone other than myself slaps a sticker on my boat there will be hell to pay.

From DNR

"We'll be distributing them this summer at bait shops, retailers and boat dealers," Skinner said. Boats must have the stickers beginning Aug. 1. Failure to comply will be a petty misdemeanor, though the law doesn't call for penalties until 2014."

There are three stickers I'm aware of. One goes on the drivers side of the trailer with a year on it, one that is an optional reminder sticker to check the drain plug, and this new one that is required and must go on the boat. I think it's pretty silly to have to put stickers on everything. Soon I'll have to put a big one on my windshield reminding me to drive the speed limit.

What an absolute joke. This can not be happening. So will there be a sticker for each law in the fishing regs soon? This is like a kindergarten type of mentality. Who's idea is this. Must be someone trying to find something to do. It would save us a lot of money if we just fired the [PoorWordUsage] that made this up instead of actually implementing it. This is the kind of government that we need to get rid of to save taxpayer dollars.

i agree 100%!!!!! the whole bucket drain plug sticker mentality doesn't do a thing except make someone "feel good" about themselves for things people have been doing for years. now you are told you have to pull the plug on your boat and for being such a good boy you get a star on your forehead. to insult you more they tell you that you get a "free" sticker. i have two "free" stickers already for haveing my boat inspected for weeds from years past. guess you need even more "free" stickers.

i got home yesterday to dump my dead minnows in my "free" garbage can. oh wait, i have to pay for garbage pick up just like i have to pay for the thousands of "free" stickers. still was some water left in my livewells. i wonder if the state can pass out some "free" towels at the boat landings to wipe them out with.

some say it's no big deal, to pull the plug and carry some spring water and gear to keep the minnows alive for the trip back and something to cool them with. i know one thing for sure. this bonehead law will not be the last these overpaid stuffed shirts will come up with, with their rose colored glasses and overpaid pay checks.

as much as i hate to do it, it's comming clear to me it's not worth buying minnows anymore. what affect will this have on baitchops i dont know. still will go there for leaches. those i know will make it home. i say to the lawmakers, leave me alone. there is nothing you can do to prevent the invasive species that is not already on the books, short of complete sanitation equipment along with washers at each and every boat landing in the state. then everyone can get a special "free sticker" everytime you get the washdown.

why does the law not apply to shorefishermen who bring minnows to a lake or river? where do you place a sticker on that individual, on the bucket maby. man what a hassle that must be to not only carry your minnow bucket plus a gallon or more water to the body of water. this is how redicules this law is. wont work, accoplishes nothing and not enough CO's to enforce it. good luck.

Just read this in Outdoor News --

Quote:
To help ensure that watercraft owners are familiar with the new regulations, free DNR decals will be distributed later this summerat boat and bait dealers, DNR license sellers, stores, at DNR offices and by DNR conservation officers and watercraft inspectors. Failure to display the decals on watercraft will be a petty misdemeanor after Aug. 1, 2014.

It doesn't sound like they have been sent to distributors yet.

as much as i hate to do it, it's comming clear to me it's not worth buying minnows anymore. what affect will this have on baitchops i dont know.

I have thought the same thing. I see one of my favorite bait shops is for sale. I don't know but it can not be good for the places trying to make a living these days. One more burden not just on fishermen but also on small business owners.

On another note, if they do sell the towels to wipe down your boat at the landing or cleaning station, I could get one of those lunch truck type vehicles and sell spring water, towels and for a small fee collect your minnows that need to be discarded. But I'm sure the fees and regulations to get started would be way out of my league. grin

Mike

I think we should call the DNR and let them know what a waste of taxpayers dollars this is. In many ways it is wasting our tax dollars. Production of stickers, distribution of them, enforcement, etc. etc. I am going to email them and let them know what I think. I hope you all do the same. Have a good day guys.

The toothpaste is out, that's a good one. Everyone knows they are out there and about all we can do is slow down the inevitable, but what's the alternative? Should we just throw in the towel and plant them in every lake or put forth our best effort to stop/slow the spread?

I am all for doing all we can and whatever it takes.

I guess we need stickers on the tube of toothpaste to tell us not to squeeze it too....

Or one on a hammer telling you not hit your thumb...

Or one on a knife that you could cut yourself....

The list of stupidity will continue as long as people allow it.

It's not the sticker that will help stop the spread, it's the hope that the operator will read it and maybe do his/her part.

You guys know the saying, "your either part of the problem or part of the solution." Which side are you on?

i've been part of the solution before invasive species came on the scene. draining the boat is a no brainer. used to ditch my extra minnows in the woods, for i knew they would never make it home except in the spring and winter. here is the problem. politicians re-act to a problem but cant see what lies ahead in my opinion.

i think the pulling the weeds of the trailer ect. was a great idea. from that point education of the public would have been a better idea and a better cost saving measure to boot. this sticker mentality as far as pulling the plug and the minnow bucket thing is a feel good measure at best.

we dont have the enforcement needed to comply with every whim of the stuffed shirts at the capital. i am for a licence increace for more enforcement not for feel good measures. i used to see young people at the landings checking on the boats for weeds now i dont. spend the money wisely not on stupid stickers that are not free and treat fishermen and women like children.

the great majority of people who love the outdoors do everything they can to keep our environment clean, and to preserve it for our children and theirs. the slobs who dont care, dont care for stickers or any rules set before them. i am no different that you in my concern for every aspect of our outdoors. enforcement for the abusers of our natural wonders work a lot better that childish stickers. good luck.