• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Info to include on dog's Collar tag?

Cobber

I chip them and then the only info on collar is:

REWARD

cell phone number.

Thats it. People want some money, have no info on you or the dog, cell phone number for out of state hunts not going to do any good calling your house... or if you're driving around looking for Fido when he's lost.

Good Luck!

Ken

I have mine chipped and the coller has his name, my home # and my cell, the cell is important because when hunting far away places I want to know where he is now rather then when I get home.

+1 on the phone # & Reward.

I have sometimes also put Meds Required on the name plate even though the dog didn't need any meds. Sort of a theft deterent and also would make people more inclined to return a good birddog.

I skipped the pet tag and wrote the phone # on a nylon collar with a sharpie. Had to refresh it every now and then but it worked wonders. Got many calls " Your dog is down here at the bus stop trying to get the kids to throw a rock for him ! "

If you put "Reward" on the tag doesn't it make your dog MORE likely to get taken? If I'm a person of limited morals and I see a dog tag that says a reward will be offered I might think about taking him home and claim I found him wandering around.

Now if I see a dog with a tag that says "Flea ridden with loose bowels" then I'm probably going to leave that one right where it is.

It just seems that advertising the fact that you'd pay for its return might make it more of a target to the right person. Of course odds are slim but there is still a chance.

I'd include just your name and cell number.

Quote:
If you put "Reward" on the tag doesn't it make your dog MORE likely to get taken?

Doubtful. If someone of questionable morals is reading your dogs collar they've probably already committed themselves to stealing the dog.

If my dog is indeed lost, I would rather pay a reward than have the party that finds him leave him where he is because they don't think they are going to get anything in return. I've hunted with many dogs that would command 5,000 dollars if they were for sale on the open market. I'd gladly pay 100 bucks to get my bird dog back.

I guess I am naive, but if I saw a dog with a tag that had "Reward" and a phone number I would just think the dogs name is Reward. People name there dogs lots of strange things.

I have dogs name, phone and address, that way if for whatever reason I can't be reached by phone the dog can be brought home. They also wear their rabies tags which has vet clinics name and number on it.