• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deep hooked pannies

Gunnin4fish

Last year I'd get a sunfish that really swallowed the hook. Is there a way of avoiding this? When this happens what's the best way to unhook the fish? I've been thinking tweezers is the way to go. It would happen on a small flu-flu also.

switch to using circle hooks. I made this switch last year and kept notes about hooking. out of 100 fish caught(over the entire summer, all released, except one meals worth) only 3 got deep hooked using the circle hooks. the hardest part of switching for most people that have never used circle hooks is that you can't do the normal hook set. with circle you just start to reel in and let the rod load hooking the fish in the corner of the mouth as you reel. I have also made the switch to circles when slip bobber fishing for walleyes on mille lacs.

Brad, interesting. I just read a research paper that found circle hooks tended to hook sunfish/bluegills thru the eye more frequently than j-hooks. no issues with that?

I imagine results depend almost completely upon hook size and style, so I guess i'm not TOO surprised at any discrepancies

Last year I'd get a sunfish that really swallowed the hook. Is there a way of avoiding this? When this happens what's the best way to unhook the fish? I've been thinking tweezers is the way to go. It would happen on a small flu-flu also.

set the hook faster??? Keep your line tight. No matter how quick you are, there will still be deep hooksets. Just cut the line and retie. Or cut line, keep fish for meal, regain hook later when you clean the fish! (just don't forget which fish has the hook!)

I think I found a happy medium

Kahle-Hook.jpg

The Kahle Hook

Out of the 7 sunfish and 5 inadvertently caught yearling bass I have hooked this year... 0 have been deeply hooked. In fact they have all been hooked in the corner of the mouth as well. They seem to work similiar to circle hooks because if I go for a strong hook set I rarely connect. I will update as the water warms and the fishing picks up.

I either bend barbs or file them off. Even so, you sometimes get deep hooked pannies.

Luckily for me it always seems to be tiny ones that I don't letting nature reclaim. I always remove the hook even if it seems unlikely that the sunfish will survive, simply because the likelihood that a snapping turtle or bass (or a bird if it makes it to shore) will take a floater is pretty high.

I just wanted to add something that I have read, and after reading the other posts. It seems that hooks don't dissolve like people think they do when you leave them in the fish. There have been study's done that show they don't usually survive. Especially with the new metal compounds that they use to make the hooks now, it is very unlikely for the hook to dissolve and for the fish to survive. Even if the fish was to survive going back it would probably not survive for very long with the hook getting in the way of eating and such. Just had to share. If it was me I would do the best to get it out and if the fish doesn't make it and starts bleeding, its headed for the frying pan.

get the hook out and either keep the fish for the pan or let it become part of the food chain.....I use alot of plastics and this rarely happens as you normally have a tight line and can set the hook quicker upon getting a bite.

Mash down your barb. I only use barbless hooks for panfish. I can't remember the last one I lost due to not having a barb, but I can remember a lot that nearly swallowed the hook which was easily removed.

Brad, interesting. I just read a research paper that found circle hooks tended to hook sunfish/bluegills thru the eye more frequently than j-hooks. no issues with that?

I imagine results depend almost completely upon hook size and style, so I guess i'm not TOO surprised at any discrepancies

I have never had that happen yet. I use size #8 circles made by Gamakatsu for bluegills ,#6 for crappies ,and #4 for walleyes when slip bobbering.

i dont pay much attention to what type of hook i use when i fish for sunfish. i use 100% aritficials during open water and nearly the same on hard water. i have bent down the barb of the hook when i'm into sunnies more than crappies. that helps along with having a needle nose pliers in case i need it. going barbless is the best way to go in my opinion. good luck.

Never really have to worry about deep hook pannies. I cant remember when I hooked one too deep. Generally going to artificial lures such as jigheads/twister tails or slightly larger panfish lures will keep them fish from swallowing too deep.

Id stay way from the old hook and worm or small live baits. Or upgrade the size of hook. Setting the hook faster too will prevent them from swallowing to deep.