• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I just keep coming back to the Seattle Sound

Steve Foss

Many of us remember how it started, though most of us missed the start and only caught up with it when it hit the charts.

But the SS/Grunge continues to inspire, more than 20 years after its inception. Guttural but melodic, incisive and instinctual. So many great SS songs and groups. Creed remains one of my faves, and I've lately been inspired by Seether and Amy Lee in "Broken." Well, it's not like I'm the first red-blooded fella to be shaken but not stirred by Amy Lee. gringrin

Chime in, all. There's a lot of SS inspired stuff I'm sure I've missed, so whatever you all supply I'll go to the "tube" and find. The Koss headphones are just waiting for your input. smile

Tough to beat the Foo Fighters. Dave Grohl has a powerful voice. I haven't heard their new album yet, but I think it's awesome they recorded it in their garage.

Whether they are Seattle or not is debatable, so to make things easy, just go with Alice in Chains.

aren't you too old for that stuff foss-man? I pictured you more of big band / lawrence welk kinda guy grin

I grew up on nirvana, pearl jam, aic, soundgarden, etc. man, i used absorb a lot of mtv back when they still played music videos. I've got soundgarden's superunkown in the car right now - big fan of some of the less played songs on there.

grunge was among the last hurrahs for music that wasn't prepackaged american idol auto-tuned garbage. somewhere in the early 2000s I was forced to travel backward in time to satisfy my musical tastes.

Tough to beat the Foo Fighters. Dave Grohl has a powerful voice. I haven't heard their new album yet, but I think it's awesome they recorded it in their garage.

I wasn't a really big foo fighters fan until i saw them open acoustically for bob dylan a few years ago. they really made dylan show his age. best concert i have ever been to. unless you want to count snoop dogg, because he was freakin awesome wink let's say best rock concert i have ever been to.

If you get a chance check out the recent FF docu called "Back and Forth" you really get a good feel for the talent and artistry there with the band.

I think the majority of it is on YT, here is a sample:

Pearl Jam

Pearl Jam

Pearl Jam

Pretty much anything from the 'Ten' album.

A.I.C. and Soundgarden ain't bad either.

Mad Season (A mix of AIC and PJ band members). Check out "River of Deceit". Nice tune to wind down and mellow out after the day.

If you get a chance check out the recent FF docu called "Back and Forth" you really get a good feel for the talent and artistry there with the band.

Caught that last weekend too. Interesting behind the scenes video showing them record in Dave's "garage". Only got to see the last 45 min or so.

Their live at Wembly Stadium show is excellent and Paladia re-airs that once and a while as well.

Another HU-RAH for the Foo! I saw the show last weekend while working in the garage. Didn't get much done while it was on. wink Had to put the CD in and crank it and been crankin' it all week. smile

Alice in Chains is awesome as well as Linkin Park and The Smashing Pumpkins. The Pumkins were/are creative geniuses in my mind.

Mad Season (A mix of AIC and PJ band members). Check out "River of Deceit". Nice tune to wind down and mellow out after the day.

If you like that, look for Temple of the Dog; similar concept with Soundgarden and PJ members. No one, and I mean NO ONE, can scream like Chris Cornell.

Ahhh, you had to say that. The one Dylan concert I missed in the last 10 years and the one concert I regret not going to the most.

well you didn't miss much as far as dylan goes. I'm glad I went just so I can say I managed to see dylan live, but... I'm sad to say it... it just wasn't very good. and the foo stole the show, making dylan seem even worse.

btw - the acoustic tour that the FF were on during that time was turned into a live album - skin & bones. not recorded at the xcel, but pretty much dead on the same performance.

Was into the Subpop/Seattle sound before it was dubbed "grunge". Lots of great bands came out that area and time that never made it into main stream. The band TAD was suppose to be the break out band from that time but their opening act Nirvana beat em to it.

Here are a few of my faves.

8-Way Santa was one of the best albums to come out of that time.

I don't think it is at all coincidental that the Seattle Sound became popular at the same exact time as "cutting" and other forms of self mutilation smirksmirksmirk

I've enjoyed all kinds of music over the years, but this stuff just never did anything for me. cool