• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opener is on its way.

Steak

Now that opener is only 2 months away, what is everybody doing to prepare?

Personally, I am looking for a new boat! My 14.5 foot boat just doesn't cut it anymore, and I need a 16 foot with a deep v hull to suit my fishing style.

I have all the walleye ice rods/reels taken apart and all of my open water rods and reels are back together!

Now all I have to do is wait!

Here are the lakes I'll be fishing on opener. In order from first to last. Hopefully the fish will be biting, and I'll be done at the first lake!

Big Birch Lake, Little Birch, Big Swan, Lake Irene, Lake Osakis, Cedar (Morrison).

I'm thinking of a medium-fast presentation with a leech, and maybe bobber fishing in the evening to relax. What will you guys be doing? Should I troll with cranks too?

STEAK!

I love the fishing opener ----- I go with group of 9 friends and we have a great time. But I'll have been on the water a lot before the walleye opener gets here, so usually the only things I need to do specific for that trip is make sure I've got the right rods and the right cranks, jigs and plastics in the boat. We're already talking about the trip and looking forward to it!

Personally, I am looking for a new boat! My 14.5 foot boat just doesn't cut it anymore, and I need a 16 foot with a deep v hull to suit my fishing style.

Oh, and good luck with the boat search. That adds a whole new level of excitement for sure!

I'll poke around the St. Louis River the Monday after the opener

There will still be alot of boats on the river then but nothing compared to the opener

TJ you need to get out there a few weeks before opener and get on them Wi. Bay Crappies. Shallow water crappies in the timber. Its a blast!

Nice part about fishing the WI river is that it is open year round to most species. I don't even pay attention to inland lake openers. Ice out is "opener" for me I guess.

What are the options for March, April walleye fishing in Minnesota? LOW, Mississippi, Rainy River ? What are other less known waters?

Big Birch, huh? For some reason, I always overlook that lake, even though I live in St Cloud and it's not that far away. Is it usually better in the spring?

And for opener, I'm planning my usual trip up to Mille Lacs. As Hank says, it's a family tradition.

Carmike

Big Birch, huh? For some reason, I always overlook that lake, even though I live in St Cloud and it's not that far away. Is it usually better in the spring?

And for opener, I'm planning my usual trip up to Mille Lacs. As Hank says, it's a family tradition.

Carmike

Yeah, Big Birch is usually good in spring! Last year was awesome, with many boats limiting out in an hour or two. We'll see what happens this year.

I am just waiting to hear that motor fire for the first time after ice out and getting it rigged for fishing over the next few weeks (still have the duck blind attached).

Spring crappies in the metro/Lindstrom area then off to Ottertail county for the opener.

FnF

Now that opener is only 2 months away, what is everybody doing to prepare?

I've just purchased a cabin on Vermilion and a pontoon boat for the family. So that's where I'll be spending the opener. I also plan to pick up a couple line counter reels and another musky rod this year.

Hopefully I'll be heading up to the Rainy River soon.

I ordered a couple of trolling combos and some Raps from the C-store the last couple weeks when they have had deals going. At the time, 25% of Raps(plus Rapala's buy 5 get 1 free rebate), free shipping on rods/reels/combos. Cleaned my reels, greased, oiled and repooled line if needed. I'll be checking the condition of the spinners I made last season sometime in the near future. Still in the process of reorganizing and cleaning out the tacklebox.

I've never really been a big panfish chaser, so typically, when March rolls around, I stop ice fishing and start getting ready for open water. I will chase crappies and gills until May, but even that's more about getting the boat out and making sure everything is in working order than the fishin'.