• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Installing Rod Holders

UMC

I have an alumacraft aluminum boat that I want to put rod holders on. I am thinking the side mounting style would be best as my boat has smooth sides pretty much right up to the top. I am wondering if anyone has advice on how to best mount them. Don't want to go punching holes in my boat and do it wrong. Thanks

Alot of guys like the smooth look as opposed to having something mounted on the inner wall. Also one thing to consider is that the flush mount will also be a more secure mount. You are also not going to catch or snag things on a flushmount. Ive probably installed more than half of the rod holders for guys that are of the flushmount variety in situations where it is a viable option. Now, that being said, if the side mount is what you want, by all means go that way. In either case, use all stainless hardware and for the side mount I always use a plate, either stainless or aluminum as a backer for added support where I have access to that area behing your mount.

I didn't want to go punching holes at all so I got one of these aluminum clamp things from the big C. I use a small strip of one those shammy camp towels to protect my boat from the clamp.

full-20574-6289-s7_020864_999_01.jpg

The work well for me, but push the total price of the rod holder up to $40 a piece. I do like that I can take them off and on and put them where ever I want though.

Flush mounts probably not an option with that boat. They're nice b/c there's nothing in your way / sticking out when not using them. Low / no profile.

Not sure what you can do with that boat other that clamp-ons unless you rig some type of mounting surface along the inside. I'm guessing someone's come up with a clever idea for this situation. good luck...

My gunwhale looks pretty much just like the one in the photo above. Any way you could do flush mounts on that?

No you couldn't.

Suggestions would be clamp on style like previously mentioned. Not my favorite option with how I use my rod holders. Another option is to use the side/bulkhead mounts and cut a solid piece of wood blocking or better yet plastic to use as a spacer to get the mount away from the gunnel a bit. Yeah you'll have to drill 4 holes through the side of your boat to do it. Just figure out where you want them before drilling. The Ram mount rod holders have a short extension that will get your holder up and over the side of the boat.

look at the driftmasters. their base appears to be smaller then most. I just bought a 2011 Alumacraft Fishermen 160CS and am considering the driftmasters for my boat. They are a good high quality rod holder that alot of the catfish guys run them on their river boats. if they can handle 30 to 60 pound flatheads then they must be good. price a the big C is not bad either.

Do you need rod holders to carry the rods while in the boat, or do you need them to hold single rod while fishing/trolling ?

Examples above are good for fishing. If you want it to carry the rods I had a unit bought at Cabelas that sits in a seat floor mount and holds 8 rods. You can remove it and take it home with one hand, rods are always stored upright thus not in the way.

Here's a picture:

full-70-6566-s7_013819_999_01.jpg