• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

THE END IS NEAR

Raider4ever

Like a train wreck you just can't take your eyes from, I just watched a 30 minute infomercial for LUND BOATS (WDIO Duluth 11:05-11:35)!!! It was just like every infomercial ever made, the same three points over, and over, and over, and over, etc.

But wait, theres more........Order now and we will throw in a lock of Al or Ron Lindner's (your choice) beard hair.

But that's not all......Order with a credit card and we'll throw in....A FREE FUZZY GRUB!!!!

I've seen (part) of it a couple times now...what??? Lund stooping to ...gasp...infomercials??? Both times were, I believe, on sunday mornings. First time I was on the puter waiting for whatever show it was to come on and I thought it was just a regular Lund commercial. But it kept going on...and on... then I thought it was the same commercial being run a couple times in a row by accident. It was probably on for 20 minutes before I finally figured out it was an infomercial!

Yamaha, Evinrude E-Tec, Polaris and many other outdoor manufacturers have/are running informericals. I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and the production and media buys must be in the ballpark of running a bunch of :30 ads. Plus, the benefit with infomercials allows for the time to walk thru the boat and it's features/benefits.

It worked, we are talking about it and reading about it, and I am curious to see it now wink Remember the Evinrude infomercials? I bet they sold a lot of motors, even though they were comparing apples to oranges in it wink And the Can-Am infomercial had me wanting one, and I don't even have a need for a atv, haha! But yep, they do work, amazingly as you would not think so.

It worked, we are talking about it and reading about it, and I am curious to see it now wink Remember the Evinrude infomercials? I bet they sold a lot of motors, even though they were comparing apples to oranges in it wink And the Can-Am infomercial had me wanting one, and I don't even have a need for a atv, haha! But yep, they do work, amazingly as you would not think so.

+1. The marketing guys for Lund did their homework. Worked on you!

All that time on it and it never really showed me the lay out of the various boats. I was very disapointed in it and thought it was the same stuff said over and over. Plus I dont need some "Blondie" in Michigan trying to tel me about the resale value of a Lund when she is getting hers at a big cut anyways.

everyone advertises, but infomercial smacks of desperation 2c

That was my thinking. I don't recall Evinrude infomercials. Yeah, I'm sure somebody did their homework (kinda like how the 'Queens did their homework with Dante Culpepper or the Raiders with Jamarcus Russel) and thought this was a spot-on winner. And NL was right, they had 30 minutes and barely touched on models if at all. They did say you could save up to $2100 dollars in Lund bucks or something. Wow. I'm hoping most of us could negotiate $2100 out of the dealer at a time like this to begin with. It's not like they're marching out the door a-la The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

That was my thinking. I don't recall Evinrude infomercials.

Do a web search for "Evinrude E-Tec informercial" and you'll find thousands of results. I think the informercials can be a powerful tool if done correctly. I think Lund's could have been executed better, however, I certainly don't believe that is a sign of desperation, just a different way to market.

Agreed, the worst part of the sportfishing industry advertisement campaigns is that they really aren't that informative, instead they try and sell you a lifestyle. I guess we buy enough of it, they are doing a good enough job; but people with our hobbies are gear junkies (heck look at these boards) who love to learn about the tiniest little details about whatever. But it is easy to ridicule that too, "These new Rapala glass clackin raps feature internal brass beads that were originally used to buy long island with." smile

But they all do it, and it drives me nuts.

I just got off the phone with Ranger parts, and while on hold they had a country song about "Yehr Drivin' a Ra-Hng-ER!!!!" OMG, LOL!

So if Ranger is doing country songs, Lund can make an infomercial...

If that informomercial isn't driving the customer to the nearest Lund Dealer then I would expect every current or future Lund owner to think how this is effecting our local economy and not supporting the local dealers. This commercial is a way to bipass dealers to make an extra buck....not smart if you ask me as we all need the dealers to support us when something goes down. If you have problems then who do you call the informercial/manufacturer??? Just my .02.

mr

How are they bypassing their dealers? Can one purchase a boat from LUND? I didn't think so but heck, I have been wrong before.

Many companies advertise in one way or another.

You can be rest assured that even the companies that do not advertise will at their auction when they go broke.

Advertising sells and it has been proven time and time again.

How are they bypassing their dealers? Can one purchase a boat from LUND? I didn't think so but heck, I have been wrong before.

Many companies advertise in one way or another.

You can be rest assured that even the companies that do not advertise will at their auction when they go broke.

Advertising sells and it has been proven time and time again.

Marketing can be very effective, and I think the argument is that this infomercial is a bit off the mark compared with the high quality of past advertisements.

The infomercial does seem a little to "Billy Mayes" and not very "Lund."

Oh, well. Armchair CMO is a fun game to play.

Major product infomercials are going to be the way of the future especially for big ticket items. Companies are going to take their ads right to the customer and not waste money on hit or miss magazine or 1 minute television ads. It is a cheaper way to advertise and they get more bang for the buck. I don't think anyone would argue that George Foreman is better know for a grill than he is for being a champ. Ron Proheil did pretty good for himself too. I think it is smart business.

Major product infomercials are going to be the way of the future especially for big ticket items. Companies are going to take their ads right to the customer and not waste money on hit or miss magazine or 1 minute television ads. It is a cheaper way to advertise and they get more bang for the buck. I don't think anyone would argue that George Foreman is better know for a grill than he is for being a champ. Ron Proheil did pretty good for himself too. I think it is smart business.

I highly doubt that. Traditional mass media spend is declining in double digits each year, and the true trend is micro-segmented and personalized messages delivered right to you.

Only firms with too much money in their marketing budgets will produce 'infomercials.' Lund can get away with it, given the industry they are in; but this is definitely not the future of advertising.