• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking to get into bowhunting

jdime

The best way to get into bowhunting is to make a list of everything you need to get started. Your bow will be the biggest and the most important piece of equipment you'll need. Don't get caught up in the hype of having to have the most expensive bow out there. There are a lot of bows that are priced at the lower ranges that will kill deer just the same as the more expensive ones. If I had to do this all over again this is how I would start out.

I would look at a bow that came as a shooting package. One that came with a sight, arrow rest, quiver, etc. By doing this you get everything you need to start shooting. The best information for getting a bow is at your local bow shop. Also, shoot a few different brands in your price range to get a feel of what draws and shoots best for you. This way you will save some money by getting everything in one package. You can always upgrade each piece later on if you want to. Once you find a brand or brands that you may want, look at online hunting sites to see if you can find any problems with that brand. Problem areas are customer service or any flaws that seem to come up with type of bow etc.

Next you will need to look at arrows, stand(s), clothing, optics, etc. This will all be your preference and trail by error on what works best for you in archery hunting. Again your local bow shop or friends that bow hunt may be a good place to start to get ideas of what you want to purchase. Some of the stuff I use for bowhunting can be used for rifle hunting as well. But there are some specific things I have that are just for bowhunting.

One area that will help save you years of frustration is education on how to archery hunt. There are numerous books out there on tips, tactics, and what not. It all depends on how you are going to hunt. Are you going to sit in a stand and wait for the deer to move past you or are you going to spot and stock. One thing I did after years of frustration is starting finding books at my local library on whitetail deer. I tried to read books within the last ten years or so to help stay current on information based on the technology out there. A great book to start with is Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon. The book is a wealth of information on many different topics related to deer hunting. There are many books out there that will all teach you something. Best time to read them is in the offseason. Another good area to look at is hunting magazines or look at their online site. Most online sites you can access some of the info for free.

Once you have your bow: practice, practice, practice. Once you think you are good with it, practice some more. Don't stop shooting even during the archery season. Try and shoot from an elevated stand to get a feel for how it shoots looking down.

Make a plan of attack on how you are going to start your season. Scouting is invaluable both inseason and in the offseason. Set up your stands and then wait for the season to start. Stay flexible and adjust your plans as the season progresses. Archery hunting is broken into different areas or "seasons". The deer will behave differently at each point. Again, reading books or hunting sites will explain this better than I can.

Last but not least stay safe out there. To many people have the philosophy of it won't happen to me or I have done this a thousand times. That is when a fall or accidents happen. It doesn't take much to add a little extra time to take those safety precautions into your hunt. Trust me an accident such as a fall or something else can happen to any one of us. It did to me last fall and I was very very lucky to not have suffered any major injuries from it.

Ok I am off my soap box. Sorry this is so long but I hope this helps you get started in archery hunting. It is a lot more exciting than rifle hunting and a lot harder too. But the increased difficulty is what makes it so much fun.

Good luck.

Good advice newfish!!!

I'd start looking at used bows now as the new lines are coming out and people are upgrading. And if you get one now, that'll give you plenty of time to get it set up before the snow is gone, then you have all spring and summer to shot.

A few items that are common to have to get started (not all of them are needed, but ones I generally recommend):

1) a bow

2) arrows

3) release

4) treestand

5) tree steps (climbing sticks are really nice, but not needed)

6) somewhere to hunt

7) a little camo (think inexpensive for starters)

8) practice, practice, practice

Let us know what you've got so far and we'll likely be able to help.

Quote:
I would suggest looking into your friends and see if you can have someone help you with the learning curve..

Great advice here. Do you know anyone that bowhunts? Maybe a friend or family member could let you try out an old bow and get you started with some equipment/clothing they don't use anymore. Make sure it's something you enjoy before you visit a proshop and drop a bunch of cash on a setup. A used bow that fills well would be a great option as well. This a great place to ask questions - lots of knowledgeable folks in here to help you get started! You'll be an addict like the rest of us in no time. smile

Thanks a ton newfish and company. Due to budget constraints I may only be able to use a friend's old bow. I'll start there and then consider investing.

It sounds like getting a mentor and practicingare the next step for me once I get my hands on a bow. If I end up learning how to shoot and never get close to a deer it'll still be a cool experience.

Any input on Bowhunter Education classes from the DNR? I previously took the regular Hunter Ed even though I was born before 1980.

you don't "NEED" bowhunter Ed to bowhunt in minnesota. a lot of states out west and some canadian provinces require it; but not Mn.

check out the dnr HSOforum if you are still interested in it. also, maybe talk to Donbo, he's a great instructor of a one-day class coming up in Feb.

i like what you said JDime... getting close to critters is such a rush! you'll never forget it!

Located at Chilakoot Bowhunters Indoor Archery Range near Somerset, WI.

This is one of the very few One-Day classes offered anywhere. Class runs fron 8-5. This class is limited to the first 40 registrants and will fill quickly.

For info call: 651-735-5876

He's right, you don't need Bowhunter Ed to hunt MN, but it's still a great learning resource for a newbie. Most of the people who take the class do so to be included in many of the special metro bowhunts around the state.

i took the bowhunter ed class along with my gf (who knows little to nothing about bowhunting) and i would spend more time in an archery shop or researching online then taking that class. I took the class so i had my certificate for out of state hunting and she took it to learn more, we were both very disappointed in the class, thats just my experience with it though. about 10 years ago i was in your position i wanted to get into bowhunting and had only one friend who did it and he was pretty green then to. I read bowhunting magazines front to back and did tons of research, now you can go online anyplace and research all day long. I sent you a pm to.

The best way to get inexpensive hunting gear is shop around. Look at the online stores such as Cabelas, Gander Mountain Bass Pro Shop etc for deals. Another great place is Fleet Farm. Watch the ads for local hunting places for sales to hit. I get most of my hunting stuff when it is on sale. Make a plan of what you want each year. Then break it down to what you need, would like, and would dream of having. Try and take care of the stuff you need based on your budget. Then if you are able look at the would like area if there is money left over. I have never made it to the dream of having section yet smile

Great advice above, one more thing I would do is visit this or other archery forums a lot over the next 6-8 months and ready as much as you can and ask as many questions as you can. Look back through old threads and read a lot about bowhunting. I didn't really have anyone to show me how so I just started bowhunting on my own, soaked up as much info online as a could and of course made a ton of mistakes, but that is half the fun when learning something new.

I think gregs list classifies it's weapons mostly as guns. I see archery equipment on there all the time. I actually sold my bow on there a month ago. Hopefully I didn't break any rules. eek Keep your eye out here as well - usually a few bow listings published each month.

Another great resource is the classifieds on Archery Talk. You can look at used equipment for days on end, and in most cases - stuff is priced right.

Good luck on your search!

I sold my old bow on the C List too. Lots of them there, just make sure you know what you're looking for. If the bow doesn't fit you, or if you can't adjust it to fit you, doesn't matter what kind of a deal you get.

BTW, Stick, I waited to sell mine untill my new bow was all set up. cool Just sayin... grin

Well, with the help of a friend I got a good bow with arrows, case and release off of [Note-from-admin-Please-don't-send-folks-there]. The seller was former military and took good care of the equipment.

I am off to bowhunter education on Saturday. Thanks to all for the input, I am on my way!