• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

favorite jigging spoon??

whitebassman

I've been trying new to me lures this winter. Just wondering what others prefer as their go to lure for crappies and 'eyes?

I believe Northland's jigging spoon is popular, has worked for me in the past. This hard water season I've been trying Lindy's Frostee's, and the glo-red has been killer for me so far.

Still can't buy a bite with the Swedish Pimple, with it being sold everywhere, it must be a good lure right? Though today I did get a nice rock bass on a red swedish pimple. But much rather would have prefered a slab crappie or 'eye.

So I guess, my favorites so far are Northlands Forage minnow, with the Frostee I'm starting to favor as well. Gonna try and give the Lindy Rattlin' Flyer a consistent try as well.

I had never really been much of a fan of jigging until this winter when I tried out the red glow Lindy flyer spoon. WOW!! That's about what I have to say. I never had an outing without a bite most had 2-4 bites and all nice walleyes (14-22 inches). I have also had really good success jigging the forage minnow spoon in the past for crappies Just last weekend I used the old standby Swedish pimple for fishing whitefish and took a limit of them home as well. Jigging has been AWESOME to say the least for me this year.

I used to be a Kastmaster guy, then went to the Rattlin' Buckshots, but now my go-to lure is the Eye-Dropper. Been the hot lure for me for the past couple of years. Now that's not to say other lures won't work, but it's all about confidence in what you're using. I think that most would agree that if you have confidence in a lure, whatever it may be, you'll catch more fish.

Most of the time the latest and greatest lure catches more fisherman than they do fish.

I have used buckshots and forgeminnows in the past on dropper rigs but got into actually jigging them this year and have lots of successes using the buckshots to bring in the eyes early ice but didn't have much luck getting them to bite and would usually use it as an attractant and get them to hit a fathead. I have been fishing crappies lately and having a hard time finding what they want, I have no trouble finding them but they seem to just want to stare at my jigs with a minnow then bite. Last time I was out I think I tried just about every kind of jig I had. I hear of people using spoons for crappies and really don't know how to go about it but would like to learn a few tips and what works and what sizes work for crappies. I found that when targeting larger suspended crappies near the top they would be attracted by a glowing buckshot rattling but could not get them to bite so I am thinking they want something more active then a minnow on a jig.

Limit Out do you use eye droppers with the strait hook or the treble?

i have been having success with forage minnows and pimples for crappies. the newest jigs ive been getting them on is the lindy darter. i havent had much success with suspended fish but if i find them scattered in 20 feet or less they nail it. i started out using it as a serching jig because they rattle so well. alot of fun catching crappies on lindy darters.

Day in and day out, my favorite "go to" spoon-bait for panfish has been Northland's "Forage Minnow Spoon". Tipped with a waxie or two, this little spoon has caught hundreds of fish for me. I use the smallest size, 1/16 oz. Favorite colors are "Silver Shiner" and "Glo Perch".

When walleye fishing, I start off by using (and often stick with all day) Northland's "Buck-Shot Rattle Spoon". I prefer the 1/8 oz size and again, the best color for me has been "Super-Glo Perch".

Been using the Frostee Jigging spoon for a couple years with the Lindy flying spoon scattered in on occassion.

By far my favorite this year is the Buckshot Rattlin Spoon this year, I have caught Perch on Mille Lacs to Crappies around the Faribo lakes with some Bass also scattered in.

I usually use a 6 to 8" dropper line off my spoon. Sometimes longer or shorter is needed depending on the mood of the fish. Usually use a plain hook at the end with a minnow but sometimes will try a small jig on if they don't seem interested. As long as you take the treble off spoon I usually don't have much trouble with tangles unless my line or the the dropper line has some twist in it. I usually drop it down a little past the level I want to put it at and then bring it up a little to get the minnow under the spoon, and watch on my vex to make sure it is not hung up and has the right amount of space between the two. If I do have problems with it getting hung up on the spoon a lot I will put a small split shot on the dropper line to give it some extra wight to bring it under the spoon.

I've always used swedish pimples above all other spoons, especially the really small ones. the two colors i seem to use the most are chartreuse, as well as the white pimple with red reflective inlay. those small pimples have caught me everything from gills to a 6 lb walleye and 11 lb northern. I also catch a lot of fish on the buckshot rattle spoons and forage minnows. Actually caught a 10 inch bluegill on a forage minnow tipped with minnow head on saturday afternoon. I haven't used vertical spoons much this winter though; most of the crappie/perch action i have had has come with horizontal baits like genz bugs or small tungsten jigs, and I've gone through a lot of euros, waxies, and freshwater shrimp instead of minnows.

I've got a lot of spoons...but just bought a few of the moxie minnows HD graphics and yesterday i caught a few crappies without even baiting the hook...Couldn't believe it! Lol.

Frostie spoons work great, Big fan of swedish pimples (small sizes in gold or silver, red blades). Macho Minnow Orange pulls in a variety of fish.

Only thing i really don't have much luck with is the buckshot rattle spoons. But the noise will often bring the fish in for a look.

My favorite over the past 2 seasons has been the Lindy Rattlin Flyer spoon. I've caught catfish, perch, sunfish, crappies, walleyes, whitefish, tullibies, lake trout, rock bass and pike one these. Lots of great colors and sizes. I also use then in the fall when the panfish move to their deeper holes with great success.

It's usually one of the first baits I try when I hit the ice.