• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spearing decoys

7 Tine

Yepppers

Minus the head and guts.

Make sure to clean ALL the slime off the skin before you cut them.

I clean the skin with a geen scratch pad, then once it is clean rub the skin down with salt and leave it sit for a couple min to draw out the rest of the slime. Then rinse the salt off the skin, cut the head and guts out, rinse, and season the inside, bake, then flake it.

Works great and no waste

You are correct about the bear creek,but I am not sure what the other one is even.They are shaped similar,but that is where the similarities end.

I am interested in seeing some of the decoys you are talking about.I was just at Cabelas,and seen they had some decoys.they had them in pink,red/white,green,and grey.I dont remember the brand though.Short attention span I guess!

I am thinking about trying to make myself a decoy or two,but I am not sure how that will go.Not exactly a guru with the wood crafts!

Do a search for the Michigan Darkhouse association. Mike Holmes has a nice article on how to make a decoy

Thats how I got started.... Helped out with everything but the weighting but thats alot more advanced than what you can write in a book. Comes with experience IMO

thanks for all of the help.I went on laskas HSOforum-looks like they make some nice decoys.maybe save myself a lot of hassle,just buy another one,rather than make one.

the one I use now is green with yellow.the pike hammer it on a regular basis.is there another color I should consider besides the red/white?

my favorite way to prepare the northern I spear is to smoke them.I brine them in a brown sugar/dark beer brine for a day or two first.They turn out great.

Firetiger has worked the best for me, then natural colored fish, then Red and White. Black n white comes in 4th. And then the list goes on n on Ive had fish come into every single color I have.

I think Im going to work on a decoy thats a northern shape with Red and White on one side and Firetiger on the other like 2 face or something. Should be a killer...