• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broadheads for Bear?

Code-Man

Just got told that I have permission to join some friends this upcoming fall for bear hunting granted if I get drawn but I have always wanted to take a bear with a bow. Does anyone have some suggestions? I have shot Muzzy, G-5, and Rage but not the biggest fan of Rage and have no results sadly with G-5. What do people suggest for bear? I'm very open for suggestions and recommendations.

I have Muzzy 3 blades 100 grain, Muzzy MX-4's 100 grains and G-5's T-3's which i got this year and didn't have a single deer I wanted to draw back on so don't have any data to say they work good.

Thanks

For big boned critters like bear, you can't beat a fixed blade, cut on contact head. G-5 Strikers, Snuffer SS's, Slick Tricks, etc. Personally, I firmly believe mechanicals are a mistake (and I love and shoot mechanicals for deer) for big boned game like bear, elk, caribou, etc. A lot of people who have shot a lot of these same animals agree.

Good luck on your bear hunt!

I actually agree with Scoot on this one. Leave the mechanicals for deer and other small boned, fine skinned animals. For larger, big boned, tough skin critters nothing beats the penetration of a fixed blade head.

There's a reason many western states, and many more outfitters in the west do not let you use mechanical heads.

Thanks Scoot...Hopefully I get drawn! You hunting your cabin area this fall for bears?

I don't think so. I'll get a PP for bears and hopefully hunt them in the next couple years sometime. I've never done it and it'd be fun.

As with any archery hunting shot placement is more important than broadhead choice. I do agree a fixed blade would be a good choice if your bow is tuned so they shoot good. otherwise a quality mechanical will do the trick as well. Bear are pretty easy to kill as long as you hit them good. I shoot Slick Tricks they are inexpensive and shoot very good. Good luck....

I always used Muzzy 4 blade. Bear are a heavy boned animal and you want to have every advantage you can. Last year I heard more than one horror story about Rage and bear. Of course if you put a great shot behind the shoulder and everything goes right anything will work. Either way, good luck!

I've taken a few bears now with my bow. Last year I used a 2 blade rage and it performed awsome, although it didn't pass through it left a big entrance hole to pour out blood. The bear only ran about 40 yards. If I had to recomend one broadhead I would say slick trick though. Here's a pic of the 2 blade rage entrance hole.

full-36084-5768-img_0913.jpg

I like to use the largest fixed blade head available. To my knowledge, the only 1.5 inch, 3 blade, fixed blade currently being made is the Striker Magnum by G5.

There are a lot of 1.25 inch heads out there but I've noticed the trend is to smaller and smaller heads. I don't get it, bigger heads do more damage. Luckily, I still have a good supply of Rocky Mt. Ultra heads, they were discontinued a couple years ago, but when they're gone I'll buy the Striker magnums.

Last September in Ontario I took an angling away shot. The arrow entered ahead of the rear leg and angled forward to take out the liver and far side lung. It made a complete pass through and stuck in the ground 3 inches deep. Try that with an expandable. Heard the death moan and found my bear dead 100 yards away. Good luck.

I updated my bow a little just in case I am fortunate to get drawn this spring/summer. I ordered new limbs so I can draw 70lbs which will help in case I hit bone but I'm thinking I'm going to stay with the 100 grain Muzzy's. Sounds like they are just as good as anything else and if I'm shooting them for deer and bear I wont have to readjust my bow! Lots of feedback which is nice. Sounds like a lot of guys like those Slick Tricks!

Hey Code-Man,

Many preferences listed here tend to lean towards the fixed blade broadheads. I would agree completely, a 3-Blade 100 - 125 grain solid, large cutting diameter broadhead is the best choice. Muzzy's should do you proud, I still use the Rocky's myself and have never had an issue. As eluded to above - remember that placement means everything. I can tell you that it can be difficult to judge angles and kill zones on a solid black target especially in low light conditions. In addition the kill zone on bear is less than 1/2 that of a whitetail. The majority of bear that I have taken with a bow have been out of tree stands, most placed just above the 8' mark with my longest shot being less than 20 yards, most within 10-12. May get some debate, but if you're hunting over bait try to wait until the bear get's comfortable, you are much less likely to make a poor shot or take a sow with cubs. As far as bone is concerned I haven't seen a set-up that will penetrate the shoulder of the average size Black Bear, even the Gorilla club guys...it has yet to be done, so again be sure of your shot placement. Done right your bear will pile up within 30 yards.

Don't know if your group uses them or not but adding game trackers to your set-up for bear works well. (Barb placed where your broadhead meets the arrow shaft with 1500 yrds of tracking string attached. Won't work with Whitetail though, skin is too soft!)

Good Luck!

I love the slicktrick line of broadheads, I shoot the slicktrick mag 100 grain and for me this is the best broadhead I have found for sharpness out of the box acurracy and tracking. I tryed rage for one deer last year and switched back to the tricks. XRap Is 100% on with his info also.