• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Will this be repairable or will they total it??

My family and I were in an accident today. frown The other driver was at fault and nobody was hurt.

I've never had to deal with this before, so I don't know about the process. I also don't know what body shops can (or should) do. I'm just wondering if this is likely to be repaired or any other advice people can offer. The car would not restart and the driver's side door would not open.

Here's the damage:

full-31143-4887-accidentphoto.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do not want it totalled you can work with the body shop sometimes and they can use used parts, repair something, etc... to try and save it. It just depends on

the $$$$

Remember that you can bring it to a body shop of your choice. You don't have to bring it to where the insurance company suggests.

Can't you buy it from the insurance company for salvage value? And they give you the negotiated replacement cost? (if they call it totalled).

So you could go ahead and get it fixed if you can find someone to do it for a good price.

I hit a deer a couple years ago and didn't want the vehicle totalled. The estimate called for a bumper cover(It was scratched) marker lamp(same thing scratched) etc...

I didn't replace these items and went with all the used parts I could and they didn't total it. Body shops will often work with people on stuff like this because they want or need the business.

So, if they total it, do they just go blue book value? I hope not. We got a great deal on that car and could not replace it at blue book....we'd be out. frown Also, my wife still has to work until we get this resolved....are insurance companies usually good about coughing up for a rental? If not, I don't know what we'll do.

Too bad this happened on a weekend so we couldn't make any calls to find this stuff out.

Buy it back? I've never heard of that. (Never been in an accident.) So, they come and say it's totaled and cut me a check, I buy it from them dirt-cheap, then I use the check from them to fix that car? Is that how that works? Seems like a gamble...

Man this sucks. Just bought the car....my wife is pretty torn up over it as everything else she has ever driven was a beater, now she finally had a car without a scratch on it. It books around $8,000 apparently--which, if they pay blue book would probably replace that car. The real bummer is that car was immaculate for a used car and I feel we got lucky that it had ZERO issues....spending $8,000 on another used car gives us a second chance at buying someone else's problem.

If the airbags did not deploy and the left front frame/unibody/strut tower are not buckled or bent too bad and the mileage is average I don't think it will be totaled. As for it not starting there is a fuel pump shut off switch that can trip in a collision or the fuse box under the hood got smashed. I have owned a body shop for the last 13 years and it is impossible to tell the extent of damage from pictures, but I don't see enough damage to be totaled, just my thoughts.

I felt kind of bad for the guy who was at fault. He really didn't do a good enough job of looking before he turned out, but the snowbanks near the intersection were pretty obstructive.

We were on our way to a hockey game with my son and his friend in the back, he was on his way to a funeral. Really screwed up everyone's day. frown

Thanks ihc1. I think the mileage is in the low 80s if I can remember right. Given your expertise, if this damage is more cosmetic, how long does something like this typically take to repair? Is it usually repaired to look "factory" or are there usually scars? Would you typically notice flaws in the operation of the hood and door afterward?

full-31143-4891-dscn3202.jpg

As a guy that works in a body shop I would say it is repairable just gonna cost a bit depending on how bad the damage is. Just as long as the core support, unibody , and any of the suspension isn't to badly damaged, if it is at all they shouldn't total it. Cosmetic damage like that depending on how fast they can paint the new fender, hood, and if the need to paint the front end shouldn't take more than a couple days depending on how busy the shop is. The door should work fine once fixed the fender was probably just shoved back into the door causing it not to open.

The way it looks in the second pic. I would say there will be some frame work on the left rail and the radiator support. To a quality shop that should be an invisible repair when it is done, meaning the paint matches, all gaps are equal, and everything works as it should. I would say repair time between 4-6 days depending on parts availability.

I yield to the body man, but if it got deep enough to crush the batt, that rail is hosed and where it attaches to the space frame (or whatever they call it nowadays) is bent too.

Ya know, sometimes the insurance guy will take into consideration wether you want to keep it or not. There is allowance for extra repair considered on and above the estimate. That's why they call it an estimate. It is slightly flexible. Don't be afraid to tell the adjuster what you want. Bear in mind, if they total it and you still have a balance with the bank, you still have to pay that balance.

Also, insist on a printout of the wheel alignment stats. You don't want to get your car back and not enjoy driving it anymore.