• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northerns at nite

msnden

I've done tons of open water bass fishing at night in shallow and medium depth veg. Only ever caught one pike, even though pike and bass lures are pretty much the same at night.

Same deal with walleyes and pike ice fishing, except that I've never caught a pike at night through the ice, even when fishing the deep weed edge or weedy flats for 'eyes. These are locations I catch pike from all day long.

My answer is "no, not typically." smile

Not typically. I have caught a handful. I caught a 43" x 20" pig at 11 pm at night on a tip-up while fishing for walleyes at our place in WI in December 2009. Thought for sure it was just a big walleye. Didn't make a big run. I actually kind of horsed him up the hole. Wouldn't have done that if I knew what was on the other end of the line. I got very lucky as he was hooked in the top lip.

Thanks guys, that is the side of the argument I was on. I spent many years Ice fishing and can never recall catching a Northern at night, (not that it couldn't happen) I just didn't think it was that typical of the fish, Thanks again, msn

I have never caught a northern after dark thru the ice but have caught a muskie or two while fishing eyes after dark as for open water I have only caught on pike after dark and it was trolling for eyes with raps on Mille Lacs

I spent a lot of nights in my fish house and by a lot I mean probably 10-12 nights a month on various bodies of water around the state. I do catch some pike at night but it is pretty rare..maybe a couple each month. However, one night on Red my buddies staying in the house with me caught 4 in one night. They tell me I took them all off of the hook but I cant remember doing it, too much beer prolly. The story does make sense though considering my fingers were cut to shreds in the morning and I had blood all over my pants and shirt:P.

I would say typically NO. Although over the past 3-4 seasons we have caugh a number of pike while fishing for crappies. It has normally happened when we are swamped with small crappies (6-8"). I would be imagine this is thier food source. On Saturday we caught 4 of our seven pike for the entire day (8am-12am) after 9 pm. Is it typical no, but uder the right conditions it is certainly possible for it to be a feeding period.