• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reliabile Sled for Ice Fishing?? Help

74mph

Hey Guys. I am new to snowmobiles and am looking for something to get me out ice fishing this winter and for the coming years. I am looking for something super reliabile that will be able to handle/tow a 3 man clam. I know snomobiles can be super touchy and I want something that I wont have to work on much if at all. Im looking at something used up to $2000 or less if possible. I would like reverse.

What would you recommend to look for?

Take a look at that Craig site, type in "reverse" for a keyword and your price range into the search. You will start to see what you can expect to afford. Look for something that says "trail" in the name and stay away from anything that implies "racing". I would stay with a two cylinder sled in the 500-600 class, maybe down to 440 but watch those for old race sleds. Any sled with a "2 up" type of seat will be designed for trail riding and that will also work well to pull an ice house for fishing. Look for a deal with a cover, extra stuff and maybe a trailer as well.

Keep in mind that a snowmobile is NOT a low maintenance machine. You will need to clean the carbs every fall (critically important) and do other normal maintenance.

Thanks hydro. There is a 98 arctic cat panther 550 with reverse and electric start that is a 2 up. This is one that someone at work has that said they would sell it for 1800 in running condition. Sounds like thats somewhat what you mentioned...

Well I can handle maintenance. Im just not interested in something that would need overhauling or other major work on a regular basis.

that would be the perfect sled but how set is the price. the reason I ask is because that sled list in the kelly blue book of values at only 1300 if they want 1800 I would say offer them 1500 or 1600 and tell the it blue books at 1300. it would all depend on the condition of it and the number of miles on it. if it is mint condition and less than 1000 miles then 1800 wouldn't be out of line.

Thanks hydro. There is a 98 arctic cat panther 550 with reverse and electric start that is a 2 up. This is one that someone at work has that said they would sell it for 1800 in running condition. Sounds like thats somewhat what you mentioned...

Well I can handle maintenance. Im just not interested in something that would need overhauling or other major work on a regular basis.

That should be a great sled, my Brother has one exactly like that. I want to say he paid about $1100 a couple years ago and it had about 2500 miles and it was pretty clean, just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

Overall, that engine is pretty detuned so that's good for ice fishing and putt'n around but still has enough power to get you out of a mess if you find yourself in one. Nobody buys these types of sled to go ditch bangin' with.

Mike

Thanks guys. Ill have to find out. I didnt get the mileage yet but they do seem willing to bargain. The wife wants him to get rid of them! Bet I can use that one to my advantage for once. He did say that something needs fixed before he is going to sell it but I dont know what it is yet.

Kbb is a great idea though. Didnt even think about looking them up in there.

Hey another question. Ive always heard Ski-doo was a good brand. Whats the truth in that? Also Ive had some guys swearing up and down over the polaris indy trail 440, they say that thing is pretty solid. The same people with the arctic cat have a 95 indytrail for 700. It doesnt have reverse but for the price difference maby I can deal with that. Let me know!

I got 5200 on my 95 indy, buddy has over 10K on his both still original, all brands are good I prefer Polaris myself but wouldn't hesitate to own any brand if the price is right with AC at the bottom of the list unless it was for the wife/fishing only....

Thanks guys. Ill have to find out. I didnt get the mileage yet but they do seem willing to bargain. The wife wants him to get rid of them! Bet I can use that one to my advantage for once. He did say that something needs fixed before he is going to sell it but I dont know what it is yet.

Kbb is a great idea though. Didnt even think about looking them up in there.

Hey another question. Ive always heard Ski-doo was a good brand. Whats the truth in that? Also Ive had some guys swearing up and down over the polaris indy trail 440, they say that thing is pretty solid. The same people with the arctic cat have a 95 indytrail for 700. It doesnt have reverse but for the price difference maby I can deal with that. Let me know!

700 for the 95 indy trail is a fair price because kbb is 880 for it. heck if I had the money right now I would even be interested in that one.

One more thing to watch, I personally would stay away from any 3 cylinder sled, especialy the Polaris XLT's. In their day they were a good machine (I owned one myself) but they are getting old and they tend to have two common failure modes. First, stator failures seem to be common and that can cost anywhere from $100 or so for a used part to over $400 for new stock. Second, the design of engine used a single casting for the three cylinders and if anything happens to one cylinder, the entire block probably needs replacement and the repair cost can easily exceed the value of the sled. Whatever you buy, CLEAN the carbs before you run it!

As for the KBB values, unlike in autos, I have never seen much correlation to the market pricing on sleds. It may give relative reference though. Last don't let anyone on this forum trash in general the sled brands that they do not ride. They are all very good quality machines and while there may be some issues with particular models, the overall condition and visible upkeep of the machine is far more important than the brand.

My recommendation for a reliable sled is a 100% stock sled. I think most sleds built after 2000 are way more reliable than people give them credit for, the problem is that too many people find it too tempting to tweak them because they are "so simple". +1 on staying away from triples though. Just like all vehicles do your homework and you should find a good, reliable sled.

If you are looking for one mostly for ice fishing, look closely at the ones with the rack already on them - usually 2-ups - I think the Cat you mention has one?... I have a 2-up yammie Venture 600 (triple) and it is great. Runs awesome, handles nice, long track, and pulls two ice shacks loaded down just great. But it doesn't have an ideal "rear rack" without modding it too much. The Polaris and Cat's seem to have that better than yammies. But I can't say enough how a 2-up works great for ice fishing. I also have a couple other sleds and one I use a lot for towing is a 1988 indy 400, and it too pulls two ice shacks (2-3 man) just fine, even up fairly steep hill to get off the lake. My Venture does not have studs, and the indy does, and I gotta say, the studs are much better for ice fishing. Hope that adds a bit of info for you, but just want to make sure you know that even a 400 can pull a lot, even with 2 fats on it wink a 500 or 600 would be even better. $2000 will get you one heck of a nice sled for ice fishing!

I have a friend that has a 1999 Polaris 500XC with 758 miles on it and it is like new condition.

I have one fellow looking at it and if he comes up with the money, it's gone.

If not, my buddy is looking for $1,950.00 for it. This sled like I said has less than 800 miles on it and is like new condition.

if interested, you can e-mail me at

[email protected]

I have a friend that has a 1999 Polaris 500XC with 758 miles on it and it is like new condition.

I have one fellow looking at it and if he comes up with the money, it's gone.

If not, my buddy is looking for $1,950.00 for it. This sled like I said has less than 800 miles on it and is like new condition.

if interested, you can e-mail me at

[email protected]

FYI - the third sled I have is an 02 xc500, same as Harvey's except the stickers, and it is an awesome sled as well. Tons of zip and power, and handles like its on rails, but it doesn't like to go slow wink It would pull anything fishign related with no problem, except you will want to go faster than you should, haha!

Tons of zip and power, and handles like its on rails, but it doesn't like to go slow wink It would pull anything fishign related with no problem, except you will want to go faster than you should, haha!

Now there's the rub. Riding the sled can be, and often is much more fun than fishing. I spent several years off of the lake and on the trails due to this phenomenon. Watch out!