• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finally got him...Now how to Age?

big_shooter02

Well the other night, 12-14-10, I was finally able to fill my buck tag on one of my hit list bucks. He was not one of the giants but still 130" and I'm very excited. The reason this buck was one of my top bucks is because of his age. I am wondering who I would contact or How I would go about getting this buck officially aged. I know about using the teeth to age deer, but what do you do when they DO NOT HAVE ANY TEETH? He has his front few and one molar, the rest are gums. This deer took all year before I got a shot and what a story he left me with....lets just say i wouldn't recommend shooting your buck and finding his antlers later! Now I feel like I owe it to him to get an official age. I left a few voice mails with the DNR the other day, but no return calls, Maybe somebody on here can point me in the right direction. Thanks

Do an internet search for deer aging. There are companies where you send in one tooth and they do what is called centinum annuli (spelling?) again. Esentially, it is much like aging a tree, where you start by cutting the tooth and counting age rings under a microscope. As far as I know, this is by far the most accurate means of truly aging a deer.

In this case, it would be fun to find out how old this deer is, since he has obviously seen a fair share of years as evidenced by his having almost no teeth left.

I think this is what you are looking for. I am not sure where you would get this done or the costs involved but this is the most accurate. A quick google search might find a lab who would age your deer.

What is Cementum Annuli aging?

The basis for cementum aging is the cyclic nature of cementum deposits on the roots of mammals’ teeth each year, which results in a pattern of "rings" in the tooth, like those formed in the wood of trees. A darkly staining ring, or "annulus", is formed during winter on most all mammals. Abundant, lightly staining cementum is formed during the growth seasons of spring and summer. Some “experts” say these rings occur because of nutritional or seasonal stress, but since the same rings occur on human teeth, we doubt that is true. The purpose of these cementum layers on the roots of mammals’ teeth is to provide a new “rough” surface for the flesh in the jaw to adhere to the root of the teeth each year.

The front teeth of deer are not important in determining age because all four pairs are replaced by eleven months of age. They do help to break down the four-seven month age class, however, fawns less than five.

Id study the jaw and look at these pics.

http://whitetailwoods.blogspot.com/2009/07/aging-whitetail-deer-by-its-jawbone.html

Wildlife Analytical Labs in Texas is another. I saved a tooth off my buck but haven't sent it in yet. At the time, I wasn't sure which to pull so I pulled a premolar. The front two incisors are the two teeth you want. I've heard stories where a ranch sent in teeth from collared deer with known ages in and the ages came back incorrect. Whether this is true or not, I don't know but it makes me wonder how accurate the cementum growth ring method actually is. You'd think, if it's cut & dry with regard to counting growth rings, it would be fairly accurate but who knows.

Regardless of method, your deer is old, very old. 9 1/2 + from the way it sounds. Extremely rare. I can't wait to see pictures of him - what an amazing trophy. Congrats!

The most accurate way is by cementum annuli. I've read over 85% accurate. Aging by jawbone has been found to be less than %50 accurate, and when it is inaccurate, it can be off by several years. Like people, deer eat different things in different areas, and consequently their teeth may ware differently.

Let us know what you find out!

Try contacting your local DRNR wildlife office and see if they would be willing to take a look at them.

I have done it. Free of charge.

Not saying all offices might be willing to do it, but they work for us and its not as if its a large task to give a quick look and their opinion.

The most accurate way is by cementum annuli. I've read over 85% accurate. Aging by jawbone has been found to be less than %50 accurate, and when it is inaccurate, it can be off by several years. Like people, deer eat different things in different areas, and consequently their teeth may ware differently.

Let us know what you find out!

I've read the 85-90% accuracy as well, it may not be perfect but much better then looking at the jaw/tooth wear.

I also don't think it's as simple as counting rings. Yes you do count the rings but you have to know what you are looking at and which rings to count. I might be off on this but that is kind of what I picked up.

Well there really isn't a 100% sure fire way unless you raised and tagged a buck yourself.

You can guess a deer age by body/rack size and that can be accurate but still a guessing game.

You can age them by looking at tooth wear and that can work ok for younger deer but after age 4 or 5 it's also a guessing game.

Cementum annuli is the most accurate but I think it has been proven wrong too, probably your best bet to age an older deer but it also cost $$$.

My best advice, if they look big shoot them. Take your best guess at age and if you really want to know send the tooth to a lab.

I just sent the teeth in on my buck from this fall and it costs $20. Should get the resutls something late spring/early summer. You need to send in the bottom front two teeth and be careful not to break off the tooth root while you are extracting the tooth.

I kinda' felt like a dentist must have back in the late 1800's. I used a small pocket knife and dug in. LOL

I thought it was matsons labs dot com, but I'm not sure.

Brian

Thanks a ton for all the responses. I still have not received any calls back from the DNR I left messages with. I will try some other options mentioned above this next week. I apologize for the delay. The story starts back in October when I first took a video(on my game camera) of this buck. This was the first time I have seen this buck as well as a great 3 1/2 year old 10 that I later passed a few times and can not wait to see next year, there was also a basket 8 that became a regular when hunting this area. I could tell right away that this old 10 soon nicknamed Gramps, was a buck that I would LOVE to get a shot at. Little did I know that he would push my patience to the very last day possible. I hunted the area as much as possible when the conditions were right for it. Despite hunting this area as much as 3-4 times a week, sometimes different stands, I never once seen him while in the woods. Towards the beginning of November Gramps became a regular on my camera into December becoming almost a daily movie star. Even though he was so regular on camera I could never get a glimpse of him. During the end of November and all of December I could noticeably see Gramps losing weight on my camera. I had a feeling that this was probably going to be his last winter if mother nature had anything to do with it. Finally last Tuesday i was in the stand early. I decided to use my climber and try a new spot hoping to surprise my buck. A bit after 4 I seen what i instantly knew were gramps legs in the brush. I Stood and got the bow ready, I soon noticed that he had already shed one of his antlers and now was only sporting his right side, I decided i was going to shoot anyways if i got the chance. I had checked my cameras earlier in the day and I had him on camera at 2:30a.m. and he had both his antlers so i was hoping his other antler was not too far at this time. He ended up broadside at 12 yards after not too long. I drew back and watched my nock bury right where i was aiming. Immediately as my arrow struck him he spun a 180 and took off running. In the process of spinning, His other antler fell off and landed in the snow. I watched as the buck i had dreamed about shooting for so long took off running through the woods with no antlers on his head! Just my luck. I got down grabbed half my 10 point rack laying in the snow along with my blood soaked arrow and headed back home. I went out with a buddy after a couple hours and recovered my buck 75 yards from where I had shot him! The next day the search was on for the other side. We looked the better part of the whole day, through all the bedding areas I could think of and all the trails I knew, no luck. My buddy and I sat down in the snow next to a tree approx. 1/4 mile from where I shot him and from my camera. We decided we should call it a day as my buddy had to get home, we talked for 10 min about the whole story. When we stood up to head back to the truck there was the other side laying in the snow not 3 feet from where we had been sitting! I have never been so excited over finding one shed. The rack is not the largest of the deer I had seen this year, but they are sure heavy. The buck has only his front teeth and one molar, his meat has almost a deteriorating look to it and he has a few softball size cysts hanging off his stomach lining. I can not believe that after all the nights sitting trying for this one specific deer that I shoot him on what could of been his last day ever sporting antlers. I feel so grateful to be able to harvest such a mature deer, but I do not recommend shooting your buck and trying to find his headgear later, it is a emotional roller coaster. Sorry for such a long winded post, you wanted the story there it is. Not sure how to post a pic, but I will figure it out and get one up soon.