• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting stuck in deep snow with sled

Jaspernuts

Make sure your ski's aren't buried. Shift weight to rear of sled while grabbing onto a whole lotta throttle and rock side to side. If that doesn't do it you need help!

Try to convince a friend that he needs a sled so he can ride with you and help get you unstuck...

Not sure of your situation, but my experience is that your best bet is to get your sled turned completely around (not easy and depending on depth of snow and weight of sled maybe not possible) and go back out the way you came in. This is a good reason to not ride alone or at least keep to more mellow riding when alone. I've gotten stuck, then spent all my energy trying to get out unsucessfully. Now I'm wet from snow and sweat and exhausted from working and am going to walk out as it is getting dark and colder by the minute. Not a good place to be. Not trying to preach here, but you said that you are a beginner, so there is my lesson to you.

Started to ride snowmobile this year and I'm learning a lot, like its not fun to get buried in the deep snow. Anyone have any tips on the easiest way to get them out. I had to use a truck and a tow strap.

I think Jasper is just trying to rub my nose in it that he has MORE snow than I do !?!?!?!? crygrin

Best thing to do is not get stuck in the first place ( yeah, I know, crazy statement ), thats one item you learn fast riding in the mountains ( I know we are talking MN but it still applies ), you don't park your sled aiming up hill and if your in a meadow and it's deep, make a loop and get back on your track you just made and then stop. Worst place to get stuck is in on the flats, you have nothing helping you out and it's all grunt work, no easy way around it unless you have some buddies with a snobunje.

Now! quit taking all my snow !!!! laugh

Mike

I'm still rookie too, after 2 years of sledding, but the advice of only parking on where you already drove has helped me tons while ice fishing on slush and in the fields when stopping. I now always make a couple a loops on the lakes just to be sure when I stop it is slightly packed already. Have fun!

About the only way to do it, other than with a truck and tow strap, is first of all to pack the snow down in front of the sled and make sure the skiis aren't buried. Next dig out the track so the running boards aren't supporting the sled. If you possibly can, pick up the back of the sled and get it on untrenched snow. Don't jump on the sled with your weight back and throttle it. That will only get you stuck again. Keep your weight centered and give enough throttle to get the sled moving then pick up speed. I've actually rolled sleds over in deep enough snow to get them unstuck. Getting a sled unstuck isn't easy. It takes some muscle. To help keep from getting stuck stop in your own, or someone elses track, as has been said.

I sled alone back in the woods, which isn't smart (as stated above). I agree that getting hot & sweaty is a nasty combination when it's cold outside. That said, to reduce the likely hood of me getting sweaty and/or having a heart attack, I find the less-strenuous solutions.

The first thing to remember is that your sled needs a little speed and momentum to get back on top of the snow. Therefore, you need to make it as easy as possible for it to move forward (assuming that you don't have reverse). I will use my hands and feet to clear out as much snow in front of the sled as possible. This might mean packed and moving snow up to 15-30 feet away. Pack it down really well by stomping and compressing the snow, giving the track better traction. Clear snow out from all around the skis and tunnels. Make sure that you've cleared all of the snow from the front skid plate, as that will keep the sled from moving forward. I'll also pack down the snow next to the track, and then lift the rear of the sled and put it on the packed snow. Then get the skis pointed in the right direction and go! The less pulling and pushing that you can do the better.

When those things aren't working, you can try finding objects to use as traction, like a couple of downed logs. Other things that can be handy are a hand operated winch or I think it's called a snow-bungee or sled-bungee.

Turning around and going back the way that you came is always a good way to go as well...but the buddy system works the best of all.

There are a couple of possible issues when getting stuck. 1. There is just a carp ton of snow. 2. not so much snow, but you wore down to ice and are spinning now.

Carp ton of snow.

On the flats is a tough one. Looping is a good precaution. Otherwise just dig yourself a ramp out.

On a hill (assuming your going up or across) is a lot easier. Turning all the way to pointing down is available, but can be tricky if there is a TON of snow. If you can get it sideways, that will do. Put both of your feet on the high side rail, lean up hill, hit the gas. (works amazingly well, I was certainly surprised when I started doing it.)

Down to Ice.

Just try to lift up your back end and get it on some fresh snow. Use reverse if you have it. stick some branches under there. get a studded track. call for help

Now.... If you get stuck going down hill..... you just gotta dig and dig and dig.

100_0339.jpg

There are a couple of possible issues when getting stuck. 1. There is just a carp ton of snow. 2. not so much snow, but you wore down to ice and are spinning now.

Carp ton of snow.

On the flats is a tough one. Looping is a good precaution. Otherwise just dig yourself a ramp out.

On a hill (assuming your going up or across) is a lot easier. Turning all the way to pointing down is available, but can be tricky if there is a TON of snow. If you can get it sideways, that will do. Put both of your feet on the high side rail, lean up hill, hit the gas. (works amazingly well, I was certainly surprised when I started doing it.)

Down to Ice.

Just try to lift up your back end and get it on some fresh snow. Use reverse if you have it. stick some branches under there. get a studded track. call for help

Now.... If you get stuck going down hill..... you just gotta dig and dig and dig.

100_0339.jpg

Nice stick lightning wink