• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiffy Auger

MJBaldwin

I can explain the handle... it's for hanging in your fish house (or garage wall, I suppose wink ).

I think you'd have to be the judge on whether it's "decent", though. Try it out... like I suggested with the Strikemasters you were looking at whistle.

Yea I understand what you mean on trying them out the only problem is there all on C List and then there gone within a few hours or days. I want a decent one but then again I want to try and buy used. That is where I am having the issue. I try to come on here and get the best advice it seems like when you go into these sproting stores ( FF, Scheels, Cabelas) you cant find anyone that knows more than I do and I know I am not an expert on things....

I have an older Jiffy Model 30 - the one in your photo looks much newer.

Over the years it's been a very reliable auger, and as long as I've done the proper upkeep (e.g., replace plug when it's old, don't try to get by with old gas, keep the blade sharp , etc.) it has always performed w/o fail.

I have no doubt that owners of the other brands would provide similar reports for their machines.

With that said, I won't be surprised if a 7-12 page Ford vs. Chevy discussion on ice auger brands follows; it's a bit of an annual hard water season tradition on this board.

Test driving an auger is a must when shopping craig slist or elsewhere, unless you are buying new. At the very least you want to get it started and running. Blades can be sharpened or exchanged.

BTW, That handle is for drilling in tight quarters, like a perm. fishhouse, and some people pay more for that particular handle.

My son in law just bought the new auger Jiffy came out with that runs on propane. I can't beleive how quite snd smooth it was. Soooooo easy to start. I only wish mine was is need to replace ha.If I was in the market, this is what I would buy. Sounds like they maybe getting hard to get already

The auger you are looking at is the 79-08-STX PRO, 2hp Tecumseh engine with 15:1 gear ratio.

Before Tecumseh went out of business I personally feel this was the best performing auger in the Jiffy line up. The handle was originally designed for tight quarters in fish houses but after using this handle it became more user friendly on the open ice.

I do recommend that you try the handle before trying to switch it out. Ergonomically it is much easier to drill with. Your arms are closer together so when the ice is thick it is easy to bend over.

You can try this without the auger, hold your arms straight out from your sides and bend over; now put your arms straight out in front of you and bend over. You should notice how much easier it is on the back.

Also if you lift the auger up by holding the vertical part of the auger while lifting you will be using your one bicep and one tricep muscle, makes for easier lifting.

It is a great auger and believe me that I can convert 10 out of 10 people that at first do not like the handle.

To answer your question, Yes it is a decent auger.

Good answer IcePro, dead on.

I always thought the displacement was closer to 2.5 HP on that model?

I preferred the Ice House handle, it's more comfortable to use, better grip, and stays flat in the sled better in transport, more secure. But....to each there own. Whatever works for you.

The Jiffy STX Pro is a very good auger system.

I own a Strikemaster that I bought off of the c list. I like my strikemaster and it does cut well. I fish with guys that have Eskimos, Jiffy's and some so old that they fall into the who knows. I think someone summed it up best w/ the classic Ford Vs Chevy debate.

But one thing is for sure....if you buy used, inspect it closely. Smell the gas tank, does it smell varnished? Pull the spark plug and look @ it, make sure there isn't any metal built up onto the plug. If there is, it might have been run w/o premix and has melted the piston. Then does it start?

Like I said I like my SM but if someone handed me this Jiffy or an Eskimo, or a Nils. I wouldn't turn my nose up @ it.

I was looking to purchase this auger does anyone know if it is decent or what I should go with instead the thing that is really bugging me is that goofy handle can anyone explain that....

full-31702-3788-3pb3o13le5u25x05s3aau925

I've had a jiffy model 30 for 4 years now. I run ethonol with the oil mixed at the proper rate. I've never changed the spark plug, never put anything in the ethonol fuel when storing it. When the end of the season comes, I put it in the corner of the garage with whatever fuel is left in it. When the season starts I pull the Jiffy out and pull the string. Starts on the second pull everytime. I've beat the [PoorWordUsage] out of it and the thing always starts. It's kinda like girls in high school the more you ignore the things you should do for it the better it runs. Even dug a couple post holes last summer with it, just had to sharpen the ice blades. Jiffy's are tuff, just a little on the heavy side.