• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

polaris wont start or run right

broken_line

I'd say take it to your local Polaris shop and see what they say, if it needs to be replaced, they might offer genuine Polaris parts or possibly and aftermarket replated cylinder.

Long story short..... I damaged both cylinders a few years ago because I overheated my sled and the plating was coming off, Cat wanted $600 per cylinder, I got a re-nyk cylinder for $225.00 each, put them on and run another 2000 miles and sold the sled, no issues at all.

If you know if a speed shop that specializes in Polaris race stuff, they can probably get them for you too.

You can google ' millennium technologies ' and I know there are others that advertise in most snowmobile mags too for replated cylinders.

Mike

well right now its looking like it will be $225 a piece to get the cylinders re nyked, and 259 for new pistons and seals.. all around like 700.... im almost wondering if i would be able to get like $1100 for the chassis and whats left of the motor? or what would i be best off financiallly wise? im 17 and this is the first time ive had to shell out this much $$ for something broken..

Maybe a person could keep an eye out for a whole motor, I'm sure they are out there and you'll probably get into one of them cheaper than what your looking at to rebuild.

Maybe a Polaris pro can chime in here but I'm willing to bet there's nothing too special about this motor other than the chassis it was put in, if thats the case then there might be many years that might work for you.

Mohawk Salvage in Hibbing ( I believe ) might be able to help you out or if you know of any other salvage yards out there, it's probably worth a call.

I don't think you'll get much for a sled with a blown motor.

Good luck!

Mike

Sorry to hear what happened to that motor, it puts you in a tough spot. The upside,however, is that you have an opportunity to learn a whole bunch of great stuff about rebuilding a two stroke motor. When I was 17, my dad ventilated the crankcase of our 100 HP Johnson outboard and I got the job of learning what was what and rebuilding it. I have had no hesitation of tearing into a two stroke motor since (It ran great for several years after the rebuild as well!)

Since your chassis without a motor is pretty much worthless, I suggest scratching together the cash for new jugs and pistons and rebuilding what you have. It is ABSOLUTELY important that you get your hands on the factory service manual that covers your sled. You most likely can find one online that you can download. It will be invaluable as you proceed and also covers clutching, electrical and other things you will need to know in the future. As mentioned above, re-check the carbs and get everything jetted and set back to stock to avoid burn down again. Carbs need to be removed and cleaned every fall to ensure that no gunk or varnish has built up and is clogging the jetting as this is most likely what killed that motor. Try to find a Polaris forum like this where you can ask questions and look for parts and info, as it will get you a bigger audience that may know the specifics of your sled.

It sounds like you have a dealer service department nearby and ask questions when you buy parts. They may take a liking to you and offer real life advice as you go through the rebuild. You can trust that info a lot more than "internet wisdom". When you get the rebuild completed be sure to follow factory break in procedure, and do NOT use synthetic oils no matter what the "experts" say. They lubricate too well to allow the rings to seat properly (they are fine after break in, and that's just my bit of internet wisdom...). Lastly, your ProX 440 air cooled sled was designed for and most likely used as an entry level sno-cross race machine and has been run hard. Enjoy it for a couple of years, learn it's systems and parts and have a good time with it!

broken, I hate to be the old guy that tells you did something stupid because you are young. We all have done things like this or will during our lives. It was a very expensive lesson to learn. You will make better decisions because of it in the futuer. Just remember not to buy things because your "eye" tells you it is good or cool! Make decisions from what you have learned in the past. With the being said. If I were you, I would find some guy or small motor shop around your area. Bring the sled there on a trailer and go in and tell them your sad story about being young, making a bad decision and how you got screwed by the seller. If it's right there and you give them the "sad" story they may give you a deal on redoing the cylinders heads. Then you can maybe order some cheaper pistons and rings on line and put it back together a lot cheaper then if you just brought it in to a dealer. The "sad" story deal works when your younger because the guys working there at some point in their lives screwed up just as you have. Good luck and let us know what kind of plan you came up with the get it back on the snow! wink

the jugs will be sent out to the local engine rebuild shop tmo. the new pistons will be ordered tmo and i hope to have it back together in about 2 weeks (: its looking like i might only have to do 1 jug now as the other is scuffed a bit but not bad at all.im also thinking about adjusting the oil ppump so it makes the ratio of oil to gas a little higher? good idea or bad? i plan on putting everything back together myself as i live next to an ex, outboard, diesel, and automotive mechanic so i have acces to all the needed tools and this isnt my first rodeo with a snowmobile motor. the first one was an old polaris tx 400 when i was 14. on the plus side the previous owner felt a bit of guilt and said he might give me back some of the money i paid for it

the jugs will be sent out to the local engine rebuild shop tmo. the new pistons will be ordered tmo and i hope to have it back together in about 2 weeks (: its looking like i might only have to do 1 jug now as the other is scuffed a bit but not bad at all.im also thinking about adjusting the oil ppump so it makes the ratio of oil to gas a little higher? good idea or bad? i plan on putting everything back together myself as i live next to an ex, outboard, diesel, and automotive mechanic so i have acces to all the needed tools and this isnt my first rodeo with a snowmobile motor. the first one was an old polaris tx 400 when i was 14. on the plus side the previous owner felt a bit of guilt and said he might give me back some of the money i paid for it

Sounds like you've got it under control, BL. I do, however, also echo hydro's advice. Put it back to factory specs upon rebuild, break it in well, and get that shop manual. If it was my sled, I honestly wouldn't worry about tweaking the oil pump.

It'll cost a bit more, but once the rebuild is complete, it might not be a bad idea at all to take it to the Polaris shop, tell them exactly what you've done, and let them check it over to ensure everything is set right. I know it's not your first rebuild.

Sounds like you're going to have a dang fun sled! grin