• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leaving for South Dakota

mrklean

Species/method? Give us some details!

Zactly! What's the plan? Regardless, good luck! Take lots of pics and report back here, for us to enjoy your hunt!!! I've heard of other people doing this and it sounds kinda cool... wink

Sounds like a blast. Don't forget your long uw - going a be a wee bit chilly.

Don - the plan is to go back out to Sand lake in mid-December when it opens back up for deer/pheasants. Do a little combo trip. You have anything scheduled? I hate eating tags - they leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Don - the plan is to go back out to Sand lake in mid-December when it opens back up for deer/pheasants. Do a little combo trip. You have anything scheduled? I hate eating tags - they leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Email me if you're really interested in some company.

Thanks for geeting Wanderer fired up I think we are on again for a mid December trip. By the way if SD had not cut the number of deer tags this year Wanderer and I would be eating beef tips and drinking a beer right now, instead I am here at work. mad It is an emotional roller coaster, yeah I get to go back, but I should be there right now with a rifle.

Cripes! Don't remind me. The way my deer hunting has been this year, I think I'll be burnt out on BEEF mad tips by next year. My wife did find a couple front shoulders in the freezer from last year though today. Whew! One more vennie stew meal from last year's stock pile. smile

Mrklean should have some adventures to share. Hope you have great news when you get back!

HNTNBUX,

Did ya save the face? grin

Well the trip was a great trip and a very frustrating trip at the same time. Got out there Saturday about 1 temps were about 12 degrees with snow, went out to a blind near the cabin i stayed in on some hills didnt see anything. Sunday morning sat on some tree ground saw a few does right away in the morning, left the blind about 10:30ish, should have looked out the side of the blind first but didnt and walked out to 2 nice does just entering the field to the right of me, if i would have waited 5 more minutes they would have walked right in front of me. That afternoon hit up the river bottom area which they say is usually there go to place, they had gotten about 2-4 in of snow the the field was covered in snow, they said every time they had ever drove in there to drop someone off they always scare deer out, well go there and nothing but a group of speed goats. Looked at the field behind there and it was covered in deer 50+ deer feeding, not a single one crossed the fence that afternoon, saw a few muley does off in the distance. Monday woke up to wind and snow but the wind died off after a few hours sat in the blind few does about 100 yards out working the tree lines. Went over to Randys brothers place where there was a monster muley hiding out in the trees. Randy Routier was the guide i went with, i did a DIY hunt with them pretty much hunted there land with some help from his parents some got advice from them what not. Randy is a quadriplegic since he was 17 but still gets out and hunts and knows there land better then anyone. Back to the hunt, Randys mom got within 40 yards of the big muley before it even got up, those things were so calm out there but he took off to the north instead of the Northwest where i was sitting. Did some more spot and stalk on tree grounds, saw about 20 but nothing close for any shots, 3 really nice bucks. That night didnt see any deer. Tuesday is when things go really interesting, woke up to about 4 degree weather with 20+ mph winds looking at -20 degree temps sat in the blind about an hour before it was spot and stalk the rest of the day. That have tons of tree ground around there ranch so it provided good cover and it was right where i was staying. Ended up seeing 20+ deer that day missed a doe at about 30 yards with deer running around everywhere a few smaller bucks and lots of does. Wednesday was much the same but the temps were closer to -30 so spot and stalk all day. hit up a small grove and spooked 2 small bucks out. The wind was from the west so we knew most of the deer were going to be behind the hay stacks so i stalked up on on, crossed a wide open field to get near this hay stack when one of the does decided to move to the west and feed, well surprisingly enough this doe looked right at me im in the middle of an open field and didnt pay any attention, she then bedded down looking right at me, i closed the distance from about 100+ yards to about 50 before she took off. I kept inching closer to the north side where i knew the does were hiding got about 15 yards before they jumped the fence in front of me but to quick for a shot. Hit up the other farm where the big boy was hanging out but he went to the west this time instead of north. Thursday was a little nicer higher teens did some spot and stalk then hit the river bottom up again but moved locations, again the deer were flooded in the next field this time i did some rattling and calling, had one monster whitetail cruise the fence line about 70 yards out after some rattling but didnt see him again, then when i left there was a nice buck and doe pretty close to where i was sitting the time before. Friday hit the tree ground up with lots of deer being chased around by rifle hunters in the distance and a few that ran in and out of the trees. After that i went with Randys bro to try for that big muley again, we couldnt find him but we saw 7 does and a decent muley out in the field so i hung near the hay stacks where they were running before to get in the woods while Ryan drove by them a few times to spook them up. They would move untill he was almost 30 yards from them in the truck so we got creative i walked along the side of the truck while he drove up to them i pretty much used the truck as a blind it almost worked to got within 20 yards of the does but the buck stayed out in front they took off after while. That was something different for sure. had thanksgiving with Randys family before i went back to the river bottom this time i set up closer to where i saw that buck and doe the night before in some brush. Ended up rattling in a decent muley from about 300 yards out, he came within 60 yards but didnt take a step closer. Got back to the house first thing everyone said was do you want to know what was down at the house today, guess most of the day there were 8 deer hanging out in front of the cabin i was staying in and when i walked down there they were still there, i sat inside for a bit and looked out the window and they were back again 10 yards from my door they were mocking me at that point. Saturday was my last morning i was there i didnt get up early got up and looked out my window to see one of those deer hanging right outside then i looked behind the house and they were all back in the trees. Did a little walk back there and had one ranged at 50 yards but but decided to not shoot just a little further then i wanted to shoot. No deer to take home but man was it a fun trip easily saw 200+ deer not including the deer i would see on the drives home at night and out in the morning. Saw lots of antelope turkeys pheasants everything. Actually had a turkey almost walk into my blind one night i could have reached my hand out and grabbed the thing. Randy and his family were some of the nicest people i have ever met they invited me to there thanksgiving and treated me like family. I would recommend them to anyone for a hunt thats for sure. it was a fun trip beside the brutal weather learned a lot and hunted my butt off. I know if i got out there again im gonna have a rifle tag laugh thats tough archery country thats for sure. I got a few pics but the cold weather killed my cameras.