• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Starting Bowhunting

Lip_Ripper Guy

I'm giving some thought to starting bowhunting next season, because the 3 week gun season isn't long enough! Right now I'm in the process of researching the different bows and accessories. It has been about 12 years since I've shot a bow, but I do have some of the basics down. If budget isn't a factor, do I start out with something top of the line, or would I be better off starting with more of a beginner bow to get the form and strength down, and then graduate to something better?

You are where I was last year. I started by buying a used compound bow at a charity auction on impulse!($135) Since I have budget restraints, that was a good move because I could get into lots of accessories like a quality release, camo, self climbing tree stand, etc. But if budget isn't an issue, get what you want after thoughly checking out some used and new bows. A good bow shop should gladly guide you through the process. I strongly recommend going the archery shop route because there is so much to know and getting a bow that fits is key. Get recomendations from other hunters on the shop as some are better than others. Good luck, hope you enjoy the sport as much as I do.

If budget isnt an option i would go to a local archery shop and ask to shoot some there. Whichever one feels the most comfortable is the right one. A lot of people like mathews, hoyt, pse anything they are all good so just find one that fits right and feels right with help from an archery shop

If I were in your shoes and budget wasn't an issue (man, would that be nice! :/) I would shoot a bunch of Hoyts, Bowtechs, Mathews, and Elites. Other companies make some great bows too, but it's hard to go wrong with these four companies. See which ones you like best. I'd pick the longest ATA (axle to axle) bow that was quietest and felt best to me. Speed is largely over-rated, IMO.

If I were looking today, I'd look very closely at the Hoyt Maxxis (I currently shoot this bow and it's very nice), the Bowtech Destroyer 340, and the Elite Pure. Mathews also makes some nice bows, but they don't fit me well. You might love them though...

Keep in mind you'll probably have some more expense after the bow- bow accessories (sight, rest, quiver, release, back up release, arrows, field points, broadheads) as well as some other possible expenses- treestand, climbing sticks, safety harness, etc. The number of things you can buy is almost endless...

Good luck and have fun with the collection of new gear.

I should clarify that when I said "budget wasn't an issue", I meant that within reason :-)

More or less what I meant was, setting budget aside, would I be better off buying a $250-500 bow to re-learn on at a lower draw weight, get the form back, and then step up to the higher end setup?

I already have everything else I need to hunt from years of gun hunting. But, every time I say I have everything, I find something else I NEED....

If you can afford it, I'd suggest a nice bow right away. You certainly don't need to dump a ton of money for a nice bow, but generally speaking, $800 bows are better than $300 bows. You'll get lots of answers to this question- no right answer, for sure.

If your worried about form and draw weight start light you can get 50-60 pound bows and 60-70 pound bows. Martin has bows that i believe range from 55-70 which is very nice for young people growing into a bow. If your not opposed to buying used, look into a used bow, you can get some of those $700-900 bows really cheap used and in great condition.

Lip, I will agree with a few of the others. An hour or two spent at a good pro shop or better yet two or three different shops and the answers will become much clearer! I suggest you spend time shooting as many different bows as you can and then make your decision. The cream will rise to the top very quickly.

Also in my opinion the better your equipment the more you will use it and your form will return quicker. If you have a bad form just by shooting enough your bad form will become your regular form, may not look pretty but will get the job done.

I kind of inherited my bow as I was selling them at the time and boy do I wish things could have been different. I like my bow to be sure but as the owner of Bwana said to me one day, "you have to find the bow you want to marry, not date!" Well boy would I like to break up with my bow after shooting many others on the market.

Buy the right bow the first time, marry it! Don't buy one for the short term only to plan to sell it, buy the one you want to keep long term.

I wouldn't worry so much about draw weight and speed as I would about comfort and how well the bow fits you. You will shoot much better groups with lower poundage being comfortable than you will trying to horse back a 75lb draw weight because you want the fastest arrow on the planet. I bought my Bear this spring and one of the great features it has, is its ability to change the draw weight without having to put it into a bow press. Not sure if other models of bows can do this, but I would imagine so. SO when I first started shooting my new bow, I was set at 60lbs. As I got more comfortable with it, started getting nice groupings, I turned the draw weight up a little bit. Think I am set at 66lbs right now.

One other thing to think about. When you are in your back yard practicing, you will have a clear view of the target, be able to draw, aim and shoot. Out on the stand, you might have to remain at full draw for a while waiting for the deer to clear an obstacle. If your draw weight is to high and you cant hold it long enough, you might not get that deer.

Just my .02!

Since you are realatively new, i would suggest a good pro shop and go shoot.

Now some things to do when you are there, do not get into the "name" game. All companies make nice to great bows.

What I would recommend is go to the pro shop and have them grab the lower level bows in different models, like Matthews, PSE, Ross, Hoyt or whatever. There is a method behind my madness here. After shooting several different models they have about the same feel from low end to top end within the model.

Shoot the equalivent of each, you will start to "feel" which one fits you.

Now have them grab that brand in different levels from the entry to upper end. Now you can start to see the differences in the levels, from hand shock, vibration, grip and so on.

I myself rate a bow on the followin: Feel, Quietness, Money and speed last.

That is my opinion.

Have fun, its very addicting.

i have bought 2 bows from there, be careful though i kinda got burned on one of them he said it was in tip top shape and it wasnt i ended up putting money into the bow that i shouldnt have. But there is hundreds if not thousands of bows for sales there

Archery talk is a great site and has a great classifieds section but when you buy used from a private party you never know what you are really getting and once it is paid for it is officially yours! I bought a Hoyt Pro-Elite target bow on that side from a private party but never actually put an arrow through it though after i bought it just pulled it back to full draw a few times and let down. Anyways, i traded that bow in for my 2010 Bowtech Destroyer 340. Turns out that the pro shop i traded it into shot it a few days later and the bow limbs blew up at full draw!! Not a good deal, luckily they were also a hoyt dealer and got if fixed free of charge but i felt terrible......Luckily, i bought a BOWTECH so now no worries! But be careful from buying used from a private party, i'd be more inclined to buy a used bow from a proshop cause they usually go through the bow and make sure everythinbg is legit.