• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Current Rooster Reports

I've been down around Litchfield and here around home all on public the past week and it's been pretty poor. Did flush a few birds at each spot but all hens. It'd be nice to get the dust out of the barrel - for my lab's sake as well. Half the birds came out of the brush and half in the cattails.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was out near the SD border today and saw quite a few. They're grouped up now after the snow. Half a dozen times I jumped between 30 and 75 birds but they were a solid block away. As soon as I got busted by 1 the whole flock would go. I did manage to catch a couple straglers but mostly just the hens sat still. Looking at a couple of the groups I would say the rooster to hen ratio is about 6 or 7 hens to every rooster. I did manage to cap a coyote that I could'nt find and i wasnt going to test the ice tracking him by myself. He ran out of an island in a slough and stopped in the wide open, when i shot him he did about a 3 ft vertical jump. Think I interupted his pheasant hunting.

I got out yesterday and was surprised by the amount of snow in the sloughs and grass. Some drifts were above my knees. Managed to get one bird and missed two. With the snow tonight and tomorrow, it's going to be hard for the dogs and hunters. Found hens in the cattails sitting tight and a few busting out way ahead. The roosters were in the trees next to the cattails.

Went out today and all I can say is wow did we get snow.Definately got enough excercise for me and the dog! Hunted some of my better cattail areas and only managed 1 Rooster. The snow really knocked down alot of the cover and I think it may take a few days for the birds to get accustomed to there sorroundings. Hopefully a few others are enjoying the weather and getting out. The birds you take from here on out will be definately earned!!

I was out for 3.5 hours today. I went to a WPA with a woody draw thats a pretty good hike but the snowshoes made it easier. WOW was there birds. I flushed 33 phesants with majority of them in range. Of those 33, exactly 0 were roosters. Alot of work and not a shot fired.

I had an incredible weeknd. Hunted western MN with a friend on SAT. We flushed 40+ birds on one WPA. Most flushed out of range but some were roosters. We ended getting 2 roosters over points and had 10-12 points total. Most were hens and held very tight. Sunday was crazy. I was alone and hot another new area that had a cornfield foodplot, shelterbelt and grass/cattails. A rooster flew from the shelterbelt at 8:55. Had a point on a hen not 20 yards from the truck. Nothing else from the shelterbelt. Hit the corn to try and push birds into the grass/cattails. I figured maybe a dozen or so would get out of the corn. Boy was I wrong 120+ pheasants got up. Most were way out of range and didn't ofer shots but it was amazing.

Most flew into the cattails so I walked the edges and got up another 100 or so. I have never seen anything like it. I just couldn't get close to any of them to take a reaonable shot. Ended up with another 10 or so points but most were hens. Only bagged on rooster for the day but it was one of the most memorable days I've ever had.

Planning to go out saturday with my dad and brother. Looks like there are birds way out west. Anybody seeing numbers of birds on the public land near Glenwood/Sauk Center? I know last year that area didn't have the numbers it did the year before. Probably going to drive the extra hour or so for better chances but thought I'd ask and see what people are seeing. Lots of public areas so I don't think you'd be "tipping your hand."

There are birds in those areas mentioned. Some places, all private stuff, there are good numbers, no acess though. Knocked on some doors over the weekend, best areas were leased up. Birds you do find on public are pretty wise, most roosters are moving way out in front of you. Long story short, drive the extra hour or so west, better opportunities await.

We lopped a guy out on SAT and missed a few opportunities but atleast we had the opportunities. Sunday I was solo so that was not an option. Had a few more peole been with me I think we would have done pretty well.

Three of us hunted central MN Friday and Saturday and ended up with six birds in the bag, and missed a couple that we should have had as well. Conditions were tough with the amount of snow that had drifted into many of the fields we were walking. One piece of private land that always holds a ton of birds had a good amount of snow cover and I was surprised we did not kick many birds. I'm not sure if they were holding tight under the snow, running. or where they went....but we could not get them up. My dog actually got one rooster at my feet after kicking some weeds and snow around....it could not get up through the thick snow cover. Seemed like at least good 3-6" sitting on top of most of the cover, with space open under the snow that the birds could sit/move in. Some areas were waist high in snow. We did see a lot of hens this weekend.

All in all a fun weekend out and a new experience for me hunting in this much snow. The dogs worked hard and had a great time, as did the whole crew!

A few pics: full-3806-4041-img_0188_edited.jpg

full-3806-4042-img_0192_edited.jpg

full-3806-4043-newimage.jpg

sorry folks it's a pet peeve of mine...

311hemi, Be safe! Get some orange hats on! It's not the law for small game hunting (should be IMO), but it is the law if you are hunting anything during muzzy season. Page 24 of the regs.

sorry folks it's a pet peeve of mine...

311hemi, Be safe! Get some orange hats on! It's not the law for small game hunting (should be IMO), but it is the law if you are hunting anything during muzzy season. Page 24 of the regs.

I have an orange hat on....you just can't see me! I hear ya though!

I think we are going to find many birds frozen right to the ground next time out! Pretty sad to think about it. Ice storms are far more fatal to birds than deep snow- but with the combo of both the ice and snow is a double wammy for the birds.

Made it out on Friday, before the storm. Just my lab and me. Decided to try some new ground further west towards Osakis. Every piece of public land that I hunted had been hunted at least once in the past week. So guys were still getting out prior to that. It was kind of nice that someone else had already busted a trail, especially thru the cattails. It also made it easier for the birds to get around, as I saw lots of pheasant tracks on the human tracks. We kicked up lots of hens, but no roosters until the very end of the day.

While driving by a WPA, at about 3:30, I noticed a bunch of birds fly from a nearby plowed field and land in the cattails on the WPA. While I was getting ready to hunt it, I noticed more birds come gliding in. Ended up with one rooster and a good work out for the dog and me. crazy

Nels

3 of us hunted Western mn today and to say it was one of the best hunts of the season would be a understatement!! We limited easily probably seen close to 200 plus birds today without exagerateing. Alot flushed ahead but we managed to pin a few down in willows and cattails to easily squeeze out our birds. The snow is deep, but definately manageable if your willing to put in the effort. Flushed one group that had over 20 roosters in it. We got a bonus coyote and saw a few nice deer includeing a nice 8 point that stood up in front of me. Looking forward to this weekend to give them a whirl again.

3 of us hunted Western mn today and to say it was one of the best hunts of the season would be a understatement!! We limited easily probably seen close to 200 plus birds today without exagerateing. Alot flushed ahead but we managed to pin a few down in willows and cattails to easily squeeze out our birds. The snow is deep, but definately manageable if your willing to put in the effort. Flushed one group that had over 20 roosters in it. We got a bonus coyote and saw a few nice deer includeing a nice 8 point that stood up in front of me. Looking forward to this weekend to give them a whirl again.

You must have been on private land that doesn't get much pressure. How far west and how deep was the snow?

Nels