• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Searching for a new Fixblade broad head to shoot?!?

BigJakeL

This year I have shot two does with my Thunderhead 100 grain broad head both left little to no blood trail. However, thanks to well placed shots they were both recovered! On that note if my shot is not so good I would like to have a broad head that is going to leave a nice blood trail. Any suggestions? Thanks!

muzzy with out a doubt! but On a side note I have shot three does this year none have left alot of blood on the ground so to speak. doe number 1 hit her a little far back so thats my bad doe number 2 double lung no blood for the first thirty yards then just large drips for the last ten or so before she piled up. doe number 3 double lung not much for blood at all. none of them made it farther than 50 yds. I have noticed that they all have been very fat.

The quality of the blood trail has more to do with shot placement rather than broadhead. I have shot several deer that I hit midway up / down in the body through the lungs without a big downward angle that didn't leave a great trail but dropped within sight. Chest full of blood but the entrance and exit holes were higher so there wasn't a huge blood trail..

That being said, the Slick Trick heads are my favorite. I still have two of the original 6 that I bought 5 years ago. All steel constuction, good blades that are easy to sharpen, never lost a deer with one, only broke one on a terrible shot that went through the hind quarters and lodged in the far rear ball joint - the deer went 5 yards and died. The other 3 heads I shot into trees and wrecked them trying to remove them during practice or lost them on passthroughs

Spent 45 bucks on 6 heads 5 years ago and have killed 9 deer with them and still have two heads left.

Not sure you need to change but if you want to try something different take a look at the Slick Tricks.

Do you have a preference for replacable vs. ones that you can sharpen? Muzzy MX-4's, Slick Tricks, and G5 Strikers are all rock solid for replacable blade heads. For "sharpenable" ones, Magnus Snuffer SS's, Magnus Stingers, and G5 Montecs are great choices. If you want to sharpen them, I prefer three blade heads like the SS's or the Montecs, because the angle of the three blades makes sharpening a no-brainer.

I personally have never had much luck sharpening my blades, especially on othe Montecs, even watched the youtube instructional.... I now prefer replaceable blades, for a few bucks a year I have peace of mind that they are as sharp as can be.

I personally have never had much luck sharpening my blades, especially on othe Montecs, even watched the youtube instructional.... I now prefer replaceable blades, for a few bucks a year I have peace of mind that they are as sharp as can be.

*One thing to point out on sharpening the Montecs, is that because of the construction of the broadhead the blade angle is not as steep as on replaceable or two blade heads. Because the blade angle is not as agressive, you will never feel like you got them "razor sharp" even though they are very sharp. I've heard to use a taught rubber band to run over the blade; if it cuts without pressure, its sharp.

(*This is something was pointed out to me and/or that I have read about from people with more knife/broadhead sharpening knowledge/experience than I)

Muzzy 90 grain 4 blade. Bone busters!! Any broadhead will kill deer. You want a broad head that you can count on when a shot is iffy.

Cringe. crazy I am leary everytime anyone promotes any type of broadhead as "bone busters". It is very misleading. A bow hunter should never imply that taking a shot through bone is a good idea, or that any broadhead is made to shoot through bone. It just isn't true. I lost a very nice buck because I made a poor shot and hit just a couple inches forward of where I wanted to. sick Hit dead center on shoulder bone (probably femur) and only got a couple inches of penetration (luckily he lived until gun season and a hunting partner took him). I was shooting a 70lb bow at around 300 fps. Funny thing is, it was with one of those "bone buster" Muzzy broadheads.

The point is, no broadhead is built for busting bone. That shot was not unsuccessul because of the broadhead, it was my fault. In the end, a sharp, well built broadhead that flies true is what people should look for.

I also shoot G5 Strikers. I've only shot 2 deer with them so far and both where pass thrus with lots of blood. I put old blades in them when I'm shooting at the target and then touch up the tip with a sharpening stone and replace the blades with new ones when I hunt. Wicked sharp and fly like my field tips.

Nels

My vote is for the muzzy 3 blade! Mine are an old model but still work great! I wish i lived closer to a bunch of you guys! Sharpening the blades on any replaceable is easy.Wish i could show you how! Unless the blades are bent; i can touch them up with a med. stone, that will make you nervous just handling them.

I've had good results with the Magnus Stinger 4 blade. But I don't use a head for more than one animal. On one passthru it hit the ground and bent the tip on a rock or something. I sent it in and they shipped me a new head free. I like that.

i shoot Muzzy MX3 broadheads. have had great luck with them and they fly very close to my field points on the arrows that i shoot. have had well placed shots and always had a passthrough and good blood to follow if i didn't just see the deer go down. Just shoot your broadheads for practice and then you know what you can count on.

Well, after contemplating which broad head i was going to shoot after my disappointment in the Thunderhead. I decided to give it another try and smoked a decent seven pointer! Had a great blood trail and only ran 50 yards then tipped over! Thanks for all the input. But i think i will keep the Thunderheads!