• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mathews DXT Issues......Need help.

FISHINGURU

Bought a new DXT 2 years ago when they came out. The first year I bought it I had it sighted in so I could split my arrows if I wanted. This year when I broke it out I was shooting spot on again like normal then all of a sudden one day I was shooting like 6 inches low on all my pins.

So I shrugged it off but thought that was pretty strange, all I did was just move every pin down a bit until I was dead on again, been shooting dead on like that for about a month now. Well all of a sudden I was just shooting again today and now I'm like a foot low on every pin. My first 10 shots or so were dead on, all of a sudden I'm shooting a foot low, sounds like I have some sort of issues. I know once your dead on with a bow you don't keep needing to adjust your pins like this.

I checked all the obvious things like my pins, drop away rest, ect. Nothing moved or can be moved, I keep my bow in a nice hardcase and its never been dropped or even bumped on anything. The only thing I can really notice is it seems my string is going into my rubber stopper pretty good and forming a groove on the bottom one, where the upper one has minimal wear, way less then the bottom stopper forsure.

Any ideas? any other places I should look? This sucks, especially with the best part of bowhunting coming up in the next 2 weeks.

Nope, all the obvious stuff I checked, like i said none of my pins can move, they can't be moved individually or as a whole unit, the rest is normal, my peep is normal, my loop is normal. At first I thought maybe somehow my arrow got bent a bit or something but I shot 3 more different arrows and they all shot way low.

It's as if it went from being set at 70lbs to all of a sudden shooting 60lbs. I was just using my 40 yard pin to shoot 20 yards and I'm only shooting a little high doing that.

I've been doing some searching around, maybe its a limb or cam problems of some kind? All I know is I'm [PoorWordUsage], my last bow I bought in 98 and sold it after I bought this one and never had a single problem with it, guy I sold it to still shoots it to this day and has never had a problem.

have you put new strings on your bow since you bought it? If you shoot a lot they may just be wearing out, measure your axle to axle length and brace height to see if your specs are on, if your strings are to far stretched they'll be off, I would just take it to a pro shop, its what they do for a living

Sounds to me like the string may need to be replaced. it's either stretching or a couple strands may be broken? Check the poundage and see if it is still set at 70 lbs. If not, it's a string issue.

They've come up with a new rubber string stopper because of that issue. I wouldn't think that has any relation to your problem, but if (when) you take it in to have it checked, have them replace the rubber stoppers.

Fishinguru,

Take it into a reputable shop. They've seen more things go wrong with various bows than we have and can probably figure it out for you quickly.

I recently found out the prongs on my drop away come loose every now and again and my accuracy falls apart. I've spot glued them for now but check them regularly and will replace the rest soon. They don't move much but enough to cause problems.

Yeah, I'll have to bring it to a proshop. I don't know much about bows when it comes to fixing them, I'd probably do more harm then good especially with no bow press or tools lol.

I haven't put on a new string it's the same string since I bought it, it's only been 2 years and last year I didn't even shoot much because I had a bum shoulder. This year I have shot alot though, hopefully it's a cheap and easy fix, I'll be irate if I miss much time this next 2 weeks.

Thanks for the heads up Donbo, I'll mention that forsure.

I'm gonna go investigate my strings, cables, limbs, cams, ect, again. Maybe the string is damaged like some of you have mentioned and I didn't notice.

Just got done looking at everything again, all I can find is there's some wear on my string where it goes around the cam and a little above the bottom cam.

The normal string itself looks just fine everywhere, just some slight fraying. Where it goes onto the cam and right above it there's that protective layer around the string, I can see parts of that kind of unraveling. Both spots on Both cams it shows that.

Would that little bit actually all of a sudden make my bow shoot 6-12 inches low? None of this makes sense to me.

Wow what a trip lol

Took it into the Pro Shop today and we checked everything and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. The cam was good, the string and cables are good, peep's good, rest good, sights good, loop good, limbs good, no rattles, nothing moves.

It's totally bizarre, seems impossible. Only thing I can do is sight in all over again I guess. Its totally wierd to put your 20 yard pin on your target and hit a foot low consistanly. Same thing happens when I move out to 30 and 40, I can use my 40 pin at 20 and hit dead on. If I try to use my 20 pin from 20 all my arrows go to the same spot on the target but a foot low.

It's like someone moved my whole sight bracket on me as a joke. I know thats impossible though because my bow don't leave my sight. Who knows maybe its a ghost, an anti-hunting ghost lol. This is the wierdest thing I've ever seen when it comes to shooting bow thats forsure.

You don't notice anything different in your mechanics do you. I noticed you said you had a previous shoulder injury. That didn't change your anchor position did it? I know I had some elbow injuries and that must have changed my anchor point and I had to adjust things after that. Otherwise you got me. I have a DXT and have had no troubles what so ever. Good luck, Chris

I'd really take a close look at your drop away. A lot of factors will result in the drop away not rising to the full up position. it only tales a little variation on your drop away to make a big difference at the target. I've had it happen myself.

That is weird!!

One thing i would suggest is for you to take a pencil or a marker and draw/mark lines on your arm of your rest,anything on the sight that could move, mark the cam/cams of your bow, and the limb bolts.If you haven't already. Also measure the brace height and write it on the bow with a marker. Then if it does change again, you can verify nothing, or something moved.

Ok,so last night after racking my brain and doing tons of research online about any possiblilites I came to the only reasonable conclusion is my whole sight bracket had to move, even though me and a buddy checked it a few times and also the 3 guys at the ProShop.

I grabbed my whole sight bracket and gave it a firm pull in both directions and it wouldn't move, I decided to pull down hard and shake it at the same time and it moved, my eyes lit up like a christmas tree. I took an allen wrench and tried to tighten it just to see and I could turn the bolt about 1/4-1/2 turn.

So then I decided to loosen it all the way so I could slide it easier and could see a scuff mark where it looked like it would have been, looked like it moved slightly. I put it back to where the little scuff mark was and tightened it. That would surely explain why I was like a foot low with every pin but I was still on the money with all my shots.

Haven't been able to check because of the 60mph winds but I'm pretty confident that the bolt must of came barely loose and from me shooting it jolted my bracket upward a bit causing me to shoot low. Seems to me it's one of those things where it moved a tad but was unable to move again after it moved the first time then got lodged tighter or something, because 5 people checked and applyed enough pressure to think nothing had moved.

It has to be the reason, I'll be happy if it was, way better then dealing with strings, cables, cams, limbs, ect, right when the rut is gonna pick up. I think once I can shoot at 20 yds and line everything back up perfectly I'll be right on the money at 30 and 40.

I knew there was no way it could be me, you don't just shoot lights out all season, make perfect shots on deer, shoot great 3/4 the way through your practice session then all of a sudden hit a foot low on every shot you take with every pin on your bow. Shooters error you'd be all over the place, not hitting the same spot consistantly but a foot low.

As of right now I'm happy, but if that wasn't the reason I'll be super [PoorWordUsage] lol!!!

Hey my first post!

I have a Mathews Switchback XT and had the exact same problem.

It took me a while, but it turned out to be.....

The draw cord on my drop away rest was slipping on my string so that my rest would not rise all the way to the top at full draw. The draw cord only moved a small amount but caused the same "Shooting way low" condition. As the draw cord continued to slip the rest would rise less and less causing me to shoot lower and lower (causing great confusion).

I ended up putting on a new draw cord (Very tight!) and also put a stop on the string to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

It seems that my sight bracket did slip a bit then got lodged in a spot where it seemed like it was super tight. I moved the whole bracket until my 20 yard pin was on the money and the rest were on the money too.

I'm gonna get a new set of strings and cables after this season, I'm also going to get a new grip, these Mathews grips suck.