• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need help

KidWalleye

I am starting my research now so I can be ready to buy this spring. I am looking at getting a new bow. The one I have, I haven't hunted with. I have shot it multiple times. I would say I'm a pretty good shot with this old one. I am looking to spend around $1,200-$1,500 for the whole package. I'm a buy the best type, so I don't have to keep replacing gear.

My question obviously is what does everyone recommend. I realize this could turn into a ford, chevy, dodge arguement.

There is a really well known place not far from my house off 13 south of the river. I thought I would go in there and say "set me up". I just want to go in prepared.

Thanks, Jeremy

the matthews z7 is a real nice bow my friend has one but i have never shot it. but bowtech and hoyt also make good bows. once you get into the high end bows its all about preference. i know everyone says this but its true. go out shoot the different brands and pick the one that feels the best for you. good luck

Best advice is shoot them all, only then can you know what you like. You wouldn't buy a new car without test driving it would you? A bow is the same concept. I actually ended up spending less money this year because I liked the PSE Vendetta over the Mathews line, that bow has an awesome draw cycle, however I did manage a way to frankenstien a mathews grip onto it, they all have their ups and downs, shoot them all and you'll know which one is the one.

Like gardn says, go in and shoot them. Dont buy the first day. Go in and shoot, take notes. Write down what you liked and didnt like about each bow you shot. Things to pay attention to are.. The draw cycle, the wall(the bow at full draw), how loud it is, and most importantly... the grip.

If were being honest, all the top bow companies make GREAT bows. I'm a hoyt fan, but I would not push you into one brand over any other. Just go shoot them.. Take notes.. go back and shoot them again some other day and see if your notes still fit your decision.

Everyone here has given great advice. Each bow will shoot a little different and you might find that you like a bow that is actually cheaper than the others. Don't get too caught up in the brand names or speed ratings. Fit is the most important thing.

No offense to the guys at Schaffer Archery, but I wouldn't buy field tips from Jon. If you go in there and tell him to sell you something in that price range he will sell you a Matthews with all HIS brand accessories on it and you might leave with $5 in your pocket. Check a couple bow shops when you're shopping. Cabin Fever in Victoria is a good place and so is Archery Specialties in Osseo. Ask about what comes with a new bow purchase. Select the bow accessories that you like.

I'll second the recommendation for Cabin Fever. I bought my bow there a couple years ago and I must have shot every bow they had in stock, but they never push you towards any particular one. Shoot em all and decide for yourself which one feels the best and shoots the best for you.

Emight find that you like a bow that is actually cheaper than the others. Don't get too caught up in the brand names or speed ratings.

Very good statement Powerstroke! I bought a Bear Showdown this summer and love this bow. It isn't that fastest bow in the world (260FPS), but it is whisper quiet and I can shoot very well with it. Its not a thousand dollar bow, and that is fine with me. Being comfortable and being able to put my arrow where I want it to go is more important to me than getting a bad shot off that will miss its mark much quicker.

Shoot all the different brands cause they all perform differently and feel different! I bought the new bowtech destroyer 340 this past spring and it is an awesome shooting, fast bow!! And very quiet. Make sure you go to an actual Archery shop instead of a gander mountain or cabelas or that kind of store cause normally they don't know much about bows or how to properly set you up! One of my recommendations for you would be Minnesota Archery in Litchfield! Great guys to work with and they do a great job in setting you up. The also have a 10 lane 20 yard range to shoot as well!

Everyone here has given great advice. Each bow will shoot a little different and you might find that you like a bow that is actually cheaper than the others. Don't get too caught up in the brand names or speed ratings. Fit is the most important thing.

No offense to the guys at Schaffer Archery, but I wouldn't buy field tips from Jon. If you go in there and tell him to sell you something in that price range he will sell you a Matthews with all HIS brand accessories on it and you might leave with $5 in your pocket. Check a couple bow shops when you're shopping. Cabin Fever in Victoria is a good place and so is Archery Specialties in Osseo. Ask about what comes with a new bow purchase. Select the bow accessories that you like.

You don't like the Schaffer sights and rests? Just curious.

i agree with power go to a few different bow shops many shops have there fav they will push on you some will push matthews some will push hoyt, shoot a bunch of dif ones at different shops and let the bow speak for it self. I have a PSE xforce and bear truth 2 i love them both.

Go shoot as many bows as possible.

I would just like to add that a pro shop might be a better for on-on-one thing, but a Cabela's or Gander is not tragic either, be confident in your personel you are dealing with and its works out fine.

I have bought from both Speciality Archery stores and "box" stores and have had great results with both.

I am a little more acquainted with archery, so I am not scared they are not going to be able to give me proper advice and try to sell me junk to make a sale at a Cabelas or Gander.

I don't know where you are located, but if you are near Bemidji, go to Gander and ask for Kay. He has been in archery for over 40 years and has done really great for me. I had asked one other guy there to reccomend a bow for me and he put me on a Hank Parker....? 1 week later I was so turned off to archery that I returned it. I had originally gotten an Alpine Archery set up that had some squeaks in a pocket (had to send it in) which left me without a bow...for a while. Went back with the Parker bow and saw Kay again. He took the Parker back and had me shoot some bows, finally ended up with a Diamond Razor...love this bow! Comes with everything you need. The only thing I will do is upgrade the sight after a while...to a fall away - but for now - this has it all. Just my .02

good luck to you.