• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rattling sequence - how long?

MUSKY18

Okay...I am really going to try and use rattling quite a bit once the prerut phase kicks in. My question is: How long of a sequence to you guys typically do? 30 seconds? A minute? and how long between rattling sequences do you wait?

iv never timed it,but i get into it try to make it sound like a fight so just go with your gut. You got any hunting videos that have fights on them watch them. Follow up with your grunt call. Im no pro,but iv called and rattled in some bucks 2 that were in the 140+. Its great haven a angery whitetail comein to your stand ears pined back walkin stiff legged. Id wait 30mins or more

I try to start in a small sequence, probably 10-15 seconds long and not really crash them just some basic sparring, seeing if there is any close and curious deer.

Then I will wait about 15 minutes and then go for about 30 seconds to maybe a minute with the rattling and get pretty agressive with both the frequency and the loudness.

I will do this as long as I see fit, maybe most of the morning to all day sits.

Do not get discouraged if you do not see anything all the time, but be ready too, they will sometimes just show up out of now where.

Always keep an eye out downwind the bigger more mature bucks will normally always circle downwind to smell who is fighting and if there is any ladies around watching the match.

Rippins got it. Throw in a grunt or two before and after the sequence. Like he said, I have had days where nothing shows up, and then I have had days where one will come running in looking for a fight. I go about every 20 minutes, or 3x an hour, about 30 seconds to a minute in length.

If possible, setup with an obstactle (drainage ditch, river, cornfield, etc) on your downwind side. Most often they'll attempt to get downwind and catch your scent before you even know there's a buck around. Prevent this from happening and you'll be a step ahead.

Also keep in mind that unless you're hunting an area with several mature bucks, rattling will often do more harm than good. Across a good majority of the state, there's just not the competition needed for techniques like rattling to be effective. With that said, it can & will work - just not with much consistency. Even though my results haven't been very positive over the years, I still continue to throw out a few sequences throughout the fnal week of October each season. There's really no wrong way to do it. Put some emotion into it and make some noise - hopefully it'll work out for ya!

I agree with Stick on this one. I like to "tickle" the antlers lightly for a 10-30 second volley and watch the woods carefully, especially downwind. A downwind obstacle is a huge plus when attempting to rattle in a buck. My stand that is great for this has a large brushy hedge that makes it difficult for deer to get through without being seen, an open swampgrass area behind me and 70 yards ahead of me whcih funnels the deer to me. I have had success with tickling early and towards the end of Oct. I like to do a light 20 second volley a pause to scan the surrounding woods and make sure deer aren't sneaking in and 3-5 minutes later the heavy clashing. I will rattle blind when not seeing any deer in the area which has many times drawn in bucks to my area that may or may not have been there but just out of sight. When I rattle heavy it is for 20-50 seconds and then on full alert. I will sit for an hour or so and maybe repeat or just hang tough. Rattling can also work great when you see deer and want to stop and or have them investigate but the old guys always seem to hang up just at the edge of bow range looking for the 2 deer that were sparring. A few light tickles often gets the attention.

Tunrevir~

I usally start with some tickles and then wait about 15-20 minutes and then go harder. Sometimes I will rattle for 30 seconds but have also went for 2-4 minutes. This is wear it can get tricky first thing you have to ask yourself is what am I looking to shoot second what types of bucks are in the area you are hunting. For myself anything less than 140 walks for sure and even then I generally hold out for 150" or better. My opinion is if there are no large mature bucks in your area then your better off just tickling no smashing remember nobody wants to get beat-up. I used to hit them together every 30 minutes or so but after a couple experiences last year I know wait at an hour between sessions. I would also like to add that I have had my best luck rattling thanksgiving week.

I should add that I will rattle from here on out for the next couple weeks I rattle in the mornings preferrably cold or cool mornings. and nothing to agressive after the 25th of october i get more agressive. I will continue rattleing untill about the 15th of december.