• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swamp People

LMITOUT

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+2

couldnt agree more!

+3

I find myself fast forwarding through their scenes. :yawn:

Is it me or is this season more staged than before? I had noticed issues last season where a hooked gator was battled from two different boats then sewn toghter into one scene. The obvious givaway was seening two different motors on a boat in the same struggle. Now I watch for it on every hooked gator.

It happens on all those reality shows, well, I don't know about 'all' of them, but the ones I've watched, even if it is only for a few minutes, you can catch stuff if your aware.

I was watching a portion of one called 'Hook' I believe? Some tall, thin, supposedly world traveling English fisherman, is fighting a big toothy looking African fish and in one sequence he is using an open face and in the next, a big Penn looking level wind on the saame fish.

Get this, he has the level wind upside down and is reeling it backwards and it looked just as silly as having an open face up side down and doing the same thing.

Some of those shows must be pretty low budget, because the editing sucks.

I hope they have a reason for showing the two new guys that didn't kill the first gator they ever shot. Seems like it'll be nothing but a comedy of errors. 5 tags, wow.

So is the reason everybody uses .22's because the rounds are so cheap? Because Landry's youngest kid put a hurt on that 12 footer with that scoped .270. Maybe we'll see more sniping this year, like Bruce's hired guy.

Not sure if I like more expansion of characters. You go too long between seeing what people are doing.

I've seen them use .22, .223 .22 mags .270 and a couple of scoped rifles of undetermined caliber, but bigger then a .22. I suppose that if the .22 mag does the trick, no use using the bigger more expensive calibers? Prolly be like shooting quail, or woodcock with a 10 gauge? shocked

Those two new guys..... didn't take the editors long to goof that one up! In one clip they are talking about filling tags and catching all these gators and in the next clip they are getting 5 measley tags and seem happy about it? I wonder how long it will be before someone gets shot on that series? I mean really shot, not getting spattered like Willy did last year. They sure seem to swing them guns around alot? The only one that seems to be safety conscious is Jay Paul? I suppose it just looks that way, they must be pretty safe because to this point, none of em have gotten blasted?

They are probably in more danger eating that greasy food they dig into? "Gimme dat 'Trappa Special' and pour a lil bit ah dat grease on dem dare fries, dat goood!"

I wonder when those two tater brothers are gonna get into the act, cooking up 5 minute possum tails, or boiled turtle eyeballs like their daddy used to make?

I shouldn't be to hard on the Swampers, I like em, even like their distinctive life style. From all the missing teeth, I bet it gets pretty rowdy down there on a Friday night huh?

My ma and uncles had rough French accents and they talked alot like those swampers. Used to do some odd stuff to? I remember when I was a little boy, they put me up on a chair and had me stirring this big pot of sucker head soup, yuk! Then my one uncle grossed me out by eating an eyeball! Now you watch Andrew Zimmern, or Anthony Bordain and the fish head soup is all the rage. The swampers daddies made that stuff way back when, so I guess you could say they were pioneers in the culinary industry, ahead of their time.

I got a feeling they act like that in real life also - too cool for school.

I had to laugh when they got in the other guys faces about poaching/you better get out of here/ this is OUR land. Those guys had legal tags and had every right to be there as much as them. The other guys didnt back down at all - good for them!

I think that with either one of those two, we would be on the recieving end of a bad situation. Both look like they can and have gotten down to business. We'd probably end up with more bumps on us then one of the crocodiles!

I suppose that if the Pauls had a signed lease for that area, then they would have a beef, but if they didn't, I suppose it would be like someone saying, "Hey, thats my tree stand!" on public hunting land? The line that started the supposed ruckus looked pretty frayed on the end for having been cut with a "Sharp knife"?

I figure that was staged for the camera anyways, that other boat was so small, those other guys couldn't have gotten a mud turtle in there with em, let alone a croc.

I found myself watching this for the first time the other day. Looks like I didn't miss much.

I don't know who any of the guys are but they are all varying degrees of stupid with borderline at best ethics.

The episode i watched had a guy and his two sons out checking their gator lines. The lines where blank but they saw a gator about 100 yards away so they took out their .22 rifle without a scope and started shooting at it. After about 5-6 shots one of the boys finally hits it and the gator goes underwater. When they get to the spot they can't find the gator and then they admit to the cameras that when you shoot a gator they sink almost instantly. Well how the heck did they expect to retrieve this gator then if they knew it would sink? After searching for hours they spot it a ways off apparently still alive. They go back to the truck to get a high powered rifle that one of the boys just bought in order to finally kill it. But apparently the dufus never sighted the rifle in since he was missing by several feet with each shot. Thankfully he never hit it since the probability of retrieving the dead gator would be almost zero.

Not sure how these guys get away with these horrible ethics all being filmed? How many of you would shoot at a deer knowing you had almost no chance at retrieving it? Would you then also make the shot with a weapon that had little chance to do anything but wound the animal?

The show just made me mad so i turned it off.

It's T.V. so they show alot of things for added entertainment. Seems that is all that T.V. can do anymore. Multiple wives which is illegal, Mob wives, Jersey Shores. Seems today you can glorify anything. Music, cartoons, are rated, but you can show people being rude, stupid, or promoting things that are worst than shows showing a way of life. And they pay some of these fools good money to do it. Wish they would stop by my house and film me. I'm sure I could put on a show.

Yeah, that stuff isn't totally real anyways and I'm sure that even when it is, there is certainly a different code of ethics involved. I bet they film the whole shebang in a couple of days, a week at most. None of em ever change clothes, or only have one set.:D

The .22 that they are shooting with one minute, will be a .223 the next and a .270 when they finish up, or back to the .22 again...a different one!

This stuff is all for entertainment and can't be taken seriously. I think that once those gators are hooked, if you take it easy with them, for the most part they will come right in and get shot. The only time they start thrashing for the camera is when alot of pressure is applied to them. That one young girl was pulling in a 7 footer, so either she is terribly strong, or there are some other unforeseen dynamics in play? Some people are gonna like it, others not, it's just the way it goes. Oh, oh? I better shut it down, there's an episode on at 7:00, prolly a repeat.

finally got caught up and saw when RJ and Jay paul were yelling at those guys, even more of a joke then i thought, my questions how do guys gater hunt out of a 12ft jon boat with 2 people in it, that boat looked pretty tiny for gator hunting.

I don't think that even the biggest gator they get weighs 800 pounds! They throw those numbers around pretty casually, 800 pounds would be alot of uncooperative dead weight with one of those slippery gators, for even the strongest of men....they wouldn't get them in the boat so easily.

Tommy was alone on Joe's rig and he supposedly bagged a 400 pounder...then he commenced to pick that thing up by a back leg and a front leg and heave it into that box on Joes boat. He must be one he11 of a strong dude if he can toss around 400 pounds like it was a mere sack of potatoes!

That greasy food, under cooked squirrel and their daddy's secret recepes must have some Sampsonic, or Atlistic like qualities to it? shocked

Them women must be chowin on that food also, because they are obviously some princess worriors to! They are throwing around 1000 pound gators just as good as the guys...maybe thats why all those guys have missing teeth and dentures?

A good day in the swamp for them dudes might be better then getting their a$$ worked over by the misses for not catching enough gators to make enough money to send Jr. to learn his cipherin! wink

I don't know? That log reclaimation vehicle that the yokel brothers were using on last nights episode didn't look very swamp redneck to me....didn't look like something their daddy made out of 50 gallon drums and a chain hoist...looked like a pretty darn good system for getting some good cypress wood? They also must have come into some spending money somehow, because they have a different, newer boat and motor then what they had last year?

You know, the Landrys should have seen if maybe they couldn't have crammed a couple more people in that little piroge? Might have been a safer idea for one paddler to take it down the bank a little ways from the house and setting the lines out there? If the gator is comming close to the house, why fight em on his turf? Have em come to you? Sometimes the experienced Landry's act like babes in the woods? It's all for television I know, but it has me leaning more toward the Pauls and Edwards as viewing favorites.

They really played up the danger of a gator in Landry's back yard on last week's episode. Does anyone really think the kids are swimming and running around back there?

You'll get disappointed if you read up on alligator facts. They only get up to 13', they can't chase people for more than a few lunges (very little endurance), they can't go faster than 20 mph (S.P. always claim they can up to 30 mph)

You gotta love these guys getting worked up over poachers when you see other boats in the backgrouned from day to day. They are hunting on public waters and anyone can have a go of it. Feigned outrage is great for TV.

Louisiana Alligator Hunting Regs

RJ and Jay Paul looked like they bagged 50 pet shop gators. Joe and Tommy had some real hogs from the storm water canals.

Swamp People is a case study in dealing with exotic species. Every few weeks you see the guys near the main channel Mississippi getting hit or nearly hit by silver carp and they have a heck of a time getting through the "lillies" that are actually exotic water hyacinth.

RJ and Jay Paul looked like they bagged 50 pet shop gators. Joe and Tommy had some real hogs from the storm water canals.

Swamp People is a case study in dealing with exotic species. Every few weeks you see the guys near the main channel Mississippi getting hit or nearly hit by silver carp and they have a heck of a time getting through the "lillies" that are actually exotic water hyacinth.

They catch those smaller ones so RJ can arm wrestle them cause hes a 34 time world champ and Jay Paul can box them cause hes a 29 time gold glove winner if you didnt know they never talk about themselves being arm wrestling boxers laugh

I've been watching it, but I'm not as enamored as I was when it first started. There is only so much they can do with the cast of characters that they have.

It's same ole, same ole stuff each week. They got a big one on the line, they yell and holler like it's rocket science they are doin...'Get the gun, shoot em...you didn't bring the gun?' Or talking to those grown young men like they were little kids...especially Jacob and 'Step son Tommy'. Then the 800 pounder is pulled into the boat with little effort...you couldn't even pull a 100 pound sack of spuds into the boat as easy as some of those little gators come in! Especially those runts that the Molinares get.

I just wonder how much some of those guys get paid, especially those goofball grandpa lookin brothers that are always cooking up one of their daddies potentially poison recepes.

I agree - the show initially had me hooked but I guess you can only see so many alligators dragged in before it gets repetitive.

Go to shoot gator and the gun is unloaded. Older guy then scolds the younger guy for not having it loaded. "he's got to step up and prove himself" blah. He's 35 yrs old, been hunting w/ you for 20+ years and he's got to 'prove himself'?

3 weeks later - repeat again.

Mitchell Guist of 'Swamp People' dies in his boat Monday morning

Mitchell Guist, who, along with his brother Glenn, co-star in the History Channel's "Swamp People," died Monday morning, May 14.

THE HISTORY CHANNELMitchell Guist, a co-star of the History Channel's 'Swamp People,' died Monday morning, May 14, in St. Martin Parish.

Assumption Parish Sheriff Mike Waguespack told The Associated Press that deputies in neighboring St. Martin Parish said Guist was traveling on the Belle River when he fell around 9 a.m.

The boat returned to a nearby landing in St. Martin and someone reportedly attempted CPR, but Guist was pronounced dead at Teche Regional Hospital in Morgan City.

The cause of death has not determined, and Guist's age was not available.

According to their HSOforum, the Guist brothers "were born, raised, and still live in the same house their grandparents once occupied on Conway Bayou. The Guist brothers march to their own drummer. They are a backwoods duo who hunt, trap and fish to eat."

The History Channel hit show follows the adventures of a group of alligator hunters in the Atchafalaya swamp