• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking to buy smoker???

Hello to all, I'm looking to get into some smoking in my spare time. I'm looking for a good smoker that isn't going to cost me a fortune. What type is the easiest to use ie electric, propane? Thanks for any or all help you can provide me with. I'm looking to purchase on in the next week or so.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My best advise is to make sure you get a good enough one that you can adjust them temperature on (not just opening a vent either). I had a couple of cheaper electric ones but they did not work the way I wanted them too so I built my own using oven racks and charcoal. Best thing I have done in relation to smokers.

look under the so whats for supper thread on page 2. harmonica bear has what i have. this is what i will do my smokeing with. that includes deer sausage, hams, poultry and fish. i'm old fashion and i like wood and charcoal. and since i'm retired[meat cutter] i like hands on. it's got the temp on the hood. now the previous poster is right with the timer and automatic temp control. contact a meat supplier. for example hamms on 65 or look to cabelas for those. the one above i mentioned is called the charr-griller and i bought it at fleet farm. good luck.

Anyone know anything about the Analog Electric smoker made by Masterbuilt Cabela's has it for $169.99. Not looking to us it for very large quantities many ribs pork butt to feed 2-5 people. Not looking to do deer sausage or anything like that. Thank for the help guys keep them coming.

i would suggest a big chief smoker you could get at fleet farm for under 100 bucks. its an electric smoker and would be right for the amounts you mentioned. the unit above i spoke about cost $138 and would do it for you and all the bbq you can eat to boot. good luck.

Char griller with side fire box (sold separately) if possible, as mentioned. makes great ribs and pork buts. I have one, works great. I have smoked summer sausage on it also. Just did a beef briskit last week. Worked awesome. Can't say enough good things about it. Should be able to get it for under $150.

I have 3 propane ones all of different sizes.. love em.. if you have a moisture pan in them, you dont have to worry about your stuff drying out.. quite easy to regulate temp ect.. My fave I have is a Browning.. But my Brinkmann works well too as well as the Smokehouse.

Ok boys and girls here is the model I'm seriously thinking of buying. The Brinkmann Vertical Gas Smoker $149.00 at Home Depot Model # 810-5530-S Anyone have any pros/cons on this model or know of a better one for the price? The reveiws online sound pretty good. Any info is greatly appreciated I'm excited to try my hand at smoking. I did also find this model same price at Lowes Master Forge Double Door Propane Gas Smoker also has great review. Anyone have one of these. Thanks!!

Char griller with side fire box (sold separately) if possible, as mentioned. makes great ribs and pork buts. I have one, works great. I have smoked summer sausage on it also. Just did a beef briskit last week. Worked awesome. Can't say enough good things about it. Should be able to get it for under $150.

Another thumbs up for the Char Griller with a side firebox here, I love mine. Cooking with charcoal/wood can be a little extra work but honestly I love tinkering with my smoker. Once you get it mastered you can get steady heat for 3-5 hours without restocking the coals

There are also a few mods you can do to help hold a steady/even temp across the whole chamber. Like I said before it is more work but there is just something about old school BBQ with wood and charcoal that I love.

you got it right on. for people that dont have the time, busy with the family and their work, propane may be the best for you. but now that i'm retired i love to tinker and be hands on also. always trying something new and the finished product with charcoal and wood cant be duplicated in my opinion. this year i will smoke all my deer sausage,summer,salami,thuringer,and polish on my new toy. cant wait. have the char griller also. i seen it a couple days ago at fleet farm still at $138. they were out of the side box but you can order that seperatly. good luck.

I've got a Craftsman Propane Smoker that I got for $100 and it has 4 racks although they are pretty close together. When I do 2 pork butts I have to take 2 racks out to fit. Love the propane although wish I could regulate the temp better. Pretty much have to keep and eye on it because it spikes up as the chips dry out and ignite. Get an extra chip holder to make the swaps quicker/safer. My chips seem to really be effective for about an hour or so and then I need to set in a new box of them.

I have never used propane myself, only electrics. Right now I use a Bradley Electric smoker and it works pretty good, has a thermostat at the bottom to control temp and also control temp with the damper. The wood pucks automatically slide forward every 20 min so its pretty easy to run while doing other things like mow lawn or whatever. Downside, you can only use the bradley pucks which run about $20 a box, usually can get 2 smokes out of 1 box. Other than that it doesnt get as hot as I'd like it to sometimes but thats ok since we are talking BBQ. I know you're set on propane but thought I'd add this for someone else looking for info.

Cooking starts anytime after 7:00 am, thats the earliest you can pick up the ribs, all cooking needs to be done on premise. Ribs to be served to the public at 4:00. As far as seeing the grills and smokers going strong, around noon things are going well. at 4:00 it's packed with people wanting to eat and the majority are done cooking and letting their ribs rest. With a fair amount of cooks/contestants, we should be cooking around 700# to 800# of ribs.

wondering why I'm not grouse hunting... grin

Well this seems like a better option than being in any woods within 200 miles of Hammy Ville. grin Seeing some color changing as of last week though. wink Ticks, skeeters, green little vines wrapped around every part of everything, give me a smoker and a rack of ribs. grin

Looks very cool and sounds like a great time. Thanks for sharing HB. smile

Here some pics of the smokers and cookers that were at the ribfest. There was a huge variety. oh and Reinhard1 - It was nice to meet you, wish there was more time to chat, but we were 10 minutes from judging. Hope you do it next year, it was a blast.

Here was the set up my buddy IceShackBaby and I had

Here are some others

Ribfest2009002.jpg

Ribfest2009021-1.jpg

Ribfest2009023-1.jpg

Ribfest2009024-1.jpg